Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Stork! I have a question about your install guide: you're using a SSDT for your i7 6700K processor, but I've read that you don't actually need to generate a SSDT file for any Intel processors that are Haswell or later. All that needs to be done is to set xcmp and PluginType flags in Clover Configurator.
I heard that a year or so after I built my system, but I've chose to stick with the SSDT as it just worked. Plus, I don't believe in fixing something that's not broken. :thumbup:

Well after having it running fine now for last year or so.... I am now experiencing freezing screen then I have to hold power down and reboot. Or I can leave it and when I come back it has rebooted. I don’t have a report screen for the crash on either of the issues. I have not updated nothing. I like Stork believe if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I’m at a loss on this. I can always make it freeze and reboot when doing Handbrake stuff and rendering in FCPX. Any thoughts or what I can provide to figure this out.

Well after having it running fine now for last year or so.... I am now experiencing freezing screen then I have to hold power down and reboot. Or I can leave it and when I come back it has rebooted. I don’t have a report screen for the crash on either of the issues. I have not updated nothing. I like Stork believe if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I’m at a loss on this. I can always make it freeze and reboot when doing Handbrake stuff and rendering in FCPX. Any thoughts or what I can provide to figure this out.

If it happens when you are stressing your CPU with Handbrake or FCPX, it could be heat related. Monitor the temperatures. Try dusting out your fans.

If it happens when you are stressing your CPU with Handbrake or FCPX, it could be heat related. Monitor the temperatures. Try dusting out your fans.

I will try that. I assumed with it just sitting there though not running though when I come back it has still rebooted. I do know that the cpu when just sitting there is around 30-34 degrees Celsius. Under a load it goes to 42-47 very rarely higher.

I will try that. I assumed with it just sitting there though not running though when I come back it has still rebooted. I do know that the cpu when just sitting there is around 30-34 degrees Celsius. Under a load it goes to 42-47 very rarely higher.

Those temps are very cool and should not be a problem at all. Something else is causing your reboots.

Just a note to say thank you to Stork for the detailed guide that works!

Had many issues trying to get a Dell XPS 8900 i7 6700k to work. Coil whine issues with Sierra, impossible to boot to High Sierra. Purchased a Hero VIII board as recommended in the build. Followed the instructions, only checked nvidia web drivers in clover before boot and everything works. Had to update the Nvidia web drivers after every update. Back to a working build again, thanks again!

- note I did install High Sierra ok, 10.13.3, it works, but after the newest supplemental update Nvidia Web(1060 card) has no available drivers so it's useless to me. Went back to Sierra which I want anyways because the new APFS is sketchy.

...note I did install High Sierra ok, 10.13.3, it works, but after the newest supplemental update Nvidia Web(1060 card) has no available drivers so it's useless to me. Went back to Sierra which I want anyways because the new APFS is sketchy.
Note that updated Nvidia drivers are now available.

I have a question , I am using the wifi card suggested but my wifi isn't working . Wondering if I did something wrong.

First off I want to say becouse of your instructions I was able to build my Hackintosh so thank you , I have two questions and I know that this is relitivly older but I dont know were you are with your builds now (im still pretty new here). I have only two issues , one is my fenvi wireless adapter is not being read on the Hackintosh side ( I also dual boot into windows 10 as well for gaming ) I dont know if im doing something wrong but it just doesn't work or show up at all .So I wanted to know if you had a fix for something like that and if you could help me out please. Also when Im on the Hackintosh side it seems like my unit stutters , very very slightly almost barely noticeable when I type and do day to day things. It is definently apparent when watching videos , I get lags and hick ups (if that makes sense ) . I wanted to know if you have experienced any of that . I am currently one 10.13.3

First off I want to say becouse of your instructions I was able to build my Hackintosh so thank you , I have two questions and I know that this is relitivly older but I dont know were you are with your builds now (im still pretty new here). I have only two issues , one is my fenvi wireless adapter is not being read on the Hackintosh side ( I also dual boot into windows 10 as well for gaming ) I dont know if im doing something wrong but it just doesn't work or show up at all .So I wanted to know if you had a fix for something like that and if you could help me out please. Also when Im on the Hackintosh side it seems like my unit stutters , very very slightly almost barely noticeable when I type and do day to day things. It is definently apparent when watching videos , I get lags and hick ups (if that makes sense ) . I wanted to know if you have experienced any of that . I am currently one 10.13.3
I once had a problem with a new WiFi/BT PCIe card. I looked in my About This Mac > System Report > Network > Wi-Fi > Supported Channels. I then opened up my WiFi router's admin page to find what channels it is using. The result was I had to change my router's preferred WiFi channel to synch up with the WiFi/BT PCIe card's channels. So, check out the System Report information to see if macOS is recognizing your Fenvi card, and, then sysch up to the best channel.

I'm using several of the Fenvi cards in my systems without any problems now. So, if the above doesn't work, please post your problem in the Forum's Network forum section as that's where the network gurus hang out.

With respect to your stuttering, the current Nvidia drivers have this problem for most of the GTX 10x0 cards with Skylake (Z170 series) and newer builds. Nividia knows of the problem, but I don't know when they'll fix it. However, some have had good luck mod'ing the last driver that worked to work with the current version of macOS. The fix is documented in the Graphics forum section's sticky thread on the Nvidia drivers (not first post, but last pages). There's a script to mod the last driver that worked. Since I'm using a GTX 950, I'm not having any problem with the latest drivers. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back