Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.

I also understand that this motherboard is future proof in regards to NVME? If Apple use this in the future, will we able to use NVME SSDs natively OOB?

Also, as your USB-C isn't working, do you think it will ever work natively as Apple already has USB-C capable laptops in the wild (the MacBook 12 series)

Thanks!
Let me state this again, I (we're) not telepathic. After going through the hassle with the M.2 NMVe used with Gene, I decided to use a M.2 ACHI (SATA) SSD in MyHero. If you want to keep up with NVMe, see the last 20 posts or so in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/os-x-driver-for-nvme-m-2-solid-state-drives-released.181387/ (Note: Post #1 discusses the use of NVMeGeneric.kext - it no longer works in Sierra and is not being supported.

As for USB Type C connections, I'll have to test as I haven't done it in a while. I have an Other World Computer USB Type C dock, so it should be easy to check. I'll edit this post with the results.

Let me state this again, I (we're) not telepathic. After going through the hassle with the M.2 NMVe used with Gene, I decided to use a M.2 ACHI (SATA) SSD in MyHero. If you want to keep up with NVMe, see the last 20 posts or so in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/os-x-driver-for-nvme-m-2-solid-state-drives-released.181387/ (Note: Post #1 discusses the use of NVMeGeneric.kext - it no longer works in Sierra and is not being supported.

As for USB Type C connections, I'll have to test as I haven't done it in a while. I have an Other World Computer USB Type C dock, so it should be easy to check. I'll edit this post with the results.

Thanks Stork. In that case I'll stick with ACHI for now, the only problem is is that I can't find a 1TB ACHI m.2 SSD??

Stork, seems like the Wifi-GO in Hero Alpha is not Intel chipset.

It is actually a Qualcomm Atheros M.2 card.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Qualcomm_Atheros_QCNFA364A

This is as far as go (Actual Unit in my board):
IMG_5779.JPG
IMG_5780.JPG

I saw some choice for Atheros in Multibeast, wonder if they would work. haha

Those MultiBeast Atheros drivers are for Ethernet chipsets.

If you use an iMac WiFi/BT and a PCIe adapter like pastrychef and I used in our builds, you'll have 100% compatibility with macOS.

So I pulled the trigger on the Hero yesterday and got my i7 also because I didn't want to miss out on the sale they were having. So now I have to hunt down the rest of the parts to start putting it together. I really want to hold off for a 1060 card, so I'm wondering can I use the current card that I'm using now it's a EVGA 9800 GT. It was compatible OOB originally, any thoughts.

Thanks Stork. In that case I'll stick with ACHI for now, the only problem is is that I can't find a 1TB ACHI m.2 SSD??

If you really want hassle-free M.2 and you need 1TB, use a 1TB SSUBX with M.2 adaptor. No need to mess with any NVMe kexts and/or patches at all.

So I pulled the trigger on the Hero yesterday and got my i7 also because I didn't want to miss out on the sale they were having. So now I have to hunt down the rest of the parts to start putting it together. I really want to hold off for a 1060 card, so I'm wondering can I use the current card that I'm using now it's a EVGA 9800 GT. It was compatible OOB originally, any thoughts.

The last time I checked, the 8800 GT was still supported by OS X which means the 9800 GT should work too. But it's an extremely old card. Even my old GT 640 was running circles around it. I would suggest using the Intel HD 530 while waiting for Pascal support instead. The major down side to using the HD 530 is loss of sleep/wake.

Those MultiBeast Atheros drivers are for Ethernet chipsets.

If you use an iMac WiFi/BT and a PCIe adapter like pastrychef and I used in our builds, you'll have 100% compatibility with macOS.

Guess i better just give up on this Wifi Go thingy. Just sit back and wait for my Wifi/BT card to arrived.

By then, I can just disable the onboard Wifi and Bluetooth from Bios right? That way, it shouldn't conflict with the new Wifi + BT Card right?

Thanks Pastrychef for the info I think I might use the 9800 so I have sleep and wake till we have support for the 1060.

Stork & PastryChef, I notice in both your build (Stork's El Capitan & Sierra, PastryChef's El Capitan), you guy did not mention doing anything extra for the audio and it work. For my case, Just using the MultiBeast to enable the Realtek 1150 and 100 Series doesn't work.

I need to at least install the FakePCIID using KextBeast only then I would start seeing my audio devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back