Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork, getting the BT to work on Hero Alpha is not a problem, I don't remember doing anything extra on it, BT is working out of the box, after following your steps.

WiFi, I still couldn't get it to work yet. I tried Rehabman's Fake PCIID, FakePCIID Broadcom WiFi kext, but still, no luck yet.

Another thing which is bugging me is the onboard display. Although the system says it is Intel HD 530, but then when I check from System Report, it says no kext is loaded. And if I use Multi-beast to install Intel HD 530, system would crash and even the recovery option in Clover wouldn't work. It would crash during the white Apple and Loading bar screen.

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 1.05.37 PM.png

IMG_5776.JPG

I've tried to ignore the display driver, but the system is not fully usable without it. Everytime booted into the desktop, you would see horizontal white lines jumping, probably due to the refresh rate or something.

And, I notice animation on the desktop has this issue too. While the genie effect of the dock works fine, but opening Application Foler View doesn't work too well. It is very slow, and you can clearly see below. And I've tried to play some video which I converted to H.264 with VLC, I can hear the sound, But totally no video. VLC would play them like an Audio. :crazy:

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 1.07.09 PM.png
This is a screen shot of how the animation of the Folder View of Application, very slow and very broken animation.

Attachments

• IMG_5776.JPG
    IMG_5776.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
Since the wifi card is an Intel, not a Broadcom, I'd recommend a clean re-install because of your conflicts. Also, before you re-install, you should remove the WiFi/BT card since you have another WiFi/BT card on the way...you'll have to take it out anyway because of the conflicts.

You'll need a HDMI to VGA adapter or a DisplayPort to DVI active adapter for your monitor. Or, better yet, time to upgrade your monitor. :thumbup:

Hey guys, I had a few questions if an owner of this mobo could please answer.

My current rig is 5 years old and is running El Cap very well, however it's time to upgrade to 4K displays, faster processor etc.

When I built my rig many years ago, I was instructed that Gigabyte motherboards were better for Mackintosh, and that ASUS boards shouldn't be touched? Has this changed?

The reason I ask is that I keep my rig for at least 3-5 years, so want to know if this Asus board will be supported down the line, as gigabyte motherboards seem to do fine (my z77-ds3h ran el capitan and previous OS without much tinkering)

Thanks!

When I built my rig many years ago, I was instructed that Gigabyte motherboards were better for Mackintosh, and that ASUS boards shouldn't be touched? Has this changed?
Yes. As the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide shows, Gigabyte has some competition. Several moderators are ASUS motherboard fans, so I decided to try one after all my years of using Gigabyte. I started out with the GENE because I needed a mATX motherboard, and my choice was influenced by desire for a more "robust" motherboard. The GENE fit my requirements. Amazingly, I had no problems turning it into a hackintosh. Very pleased.

When I noticed my Zorro build (ATX GA-Z68X-UD3H) was starting to show it's age, I decided to get the HERO based upon my experience with the GENE. Again, it was easy to turn into a hackintosh. As a matter of fact, I used the same installation procedures as the GENE.

The reason I ask is that I keep my rig for at least 3-5 years, so want to know if this Asus board will be supported down the line, as gigabyte motherboards seem to do fine (my z77-ds3h ran el capitan and previous OS without much tinkering)
Well, we're not telepathic so we can't predict the future. But, I'll keep the Gene & MyHero builds up today for the foreseeable future. After all, my 1st generation Gigabyte P55M-UD2 & UD4 systems are currently running El Captian w/o a problem. (I'll upgrade them to Sierra permanently when Sierra reaches the .3 update.)

So! Bottom line...go for it! :thumbup:

Yes. As the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide shows, Gigabyte has some competition. Several moderators are ASUS motherboard fans, so I decided to try one after all my years of using Gigabyte. I started out with the GENE because I needed a mATX motherboard, and my choice was influenced by desire for a more "robust" motherboard. The GENE fit my requirements. Amazingly, I had no problems turning it into a hackintosh. Very pleased.

When I noticed my Zorro build (ATX GA-Z68X-UD3H) was starting to show it's age, I decided to get the HERO based upon my experience with the GENE. Again, it was easy to turn into a hackintosh. As a matter of fact, I used the same installation procedures as the GENE.

Well, we're not telepathic so we can't predict the future. But, I'll keep the Gene & MyHero builds up today for the foreseeable future. After all, my 1st generation Gigabyte P55M-UD2 & UD4 systems are currently running El Captian w/o a problem. (I'll upgrade them to Sierra permanently when Sierra reaches the .3 update.)

So! Bottom line...go for it! :thumbup:

Thanks Stork, I'm just holding off until the GTX 1060 drivers are released by Nvidia!

One more thing, are the admins going for ASUS boards now? If not, what Gigabyte boards do the admins recommend, as this is one of the most popular threads for Sierra builds and the board is an ASUS. I don't mind going for an ASUS at all if the admins/creators of tonymac software are going for it. I just want to buy a popular board so I can come on here and ask questions if I run into trouble.

Thanks!

Also quick EDIT: I know you mentioned audio after sleep works, but say for instance you put the mac to sleep, and wake it, and then add a pair of headphones into the front jack, will it output audio to headphones and then upon removing the headphones, play the audio from the rear green audio jack?

Sorry for the long question!

Last edited:
Stork, I've got the onboard display on my Hero Alpha to work, although not 100%. I can still see artifacts like everyone else, on the top left corner of the screen. I am going to change to El Capitan for now and see how it goes.

I read somewhere that the Wifi module in Hero Alpha is not intel but broadcom. Am a bit reluctant to tear that plastic cover up now. May be I should. lol. Let's see.

Thanks Stork, I'm just holding off until the GTX 1060 drivers are released by Nvidia!
Me, too.

One more thing, are the admins going for ASUS boards now? If not, what Gigabyte boards do the admins recommend, as this is one of the most popular threads for Sierra builds and the board is an ASUS. I don't mind going for an ASUS at all if the admins/creators of tonymac software are going for it. I just want to buy a popular board so I can come on here and ask questions if I run into trouble.
See the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide both the CustoMac example builds and the motherboard list. We don't have any site recommendations, just personal, although Gigabyte does win the popularity contest. You should choose your motherboard on what you want to do with your system & how you're going to do it - no, mild or all out Overclocking, etc. Check out the User & Golden Build descriptions and the Sierra Desktop Guides forum sections for successful installations.

Also quick EDIT: I know you mentioned audio after sleep works, but say for instance you put the mac to sleep, and wake it, and then add a pair of headphones into the front jack, will it output audio to headphones and then upon removing the headphones, play the audio from the rear green audio jack?
I don't know. I've got my audio coming out of the Green port to my KVM switch; if I want to go quiet, I plug my headset into the KVM's headset switch. I don't see any reason why your scenario wouldn't work, though.

I don't know. I've got my audio coming out of the Green port to my KVM switch; if I want to go quiet, I plug my headset into the KVM's headset switch. I don't see any reason why your scenario wouldn't work, though.

Thanks Stork. Glad to hear I'm not the only one waiting for Nvidia haha!

I fixed the audio problem (as in the front jack not working after sleep) with codec commander, is this applicable with Asus boards?

Last question. My current Hack can't play 4K video, I get 300/400% cpu usage with vtdecoderxpcservice. Can your hack playback 4k video fine both with files on your hard drive and youtube 4k?

Thanks

I fixed the audio problem (as in the front jack not working after sleep) with codec commander, is this applicable with Asus boards?
Yep! That's why I advise you to use it in my installation procedures. :rolleyes:

Last question. My current Hack can't play 4K video, I get 300/400% cpu usage with vtdecoderxpcservice. Can your hack playback 4k video fine both with files on your hard drive and youtube 4k?
Never tried as I don't have access to a 4K monitor. You're breaking new ground here. Good luck!

Yep! That's why I advise you to use it in my installation procedures. :rolleyes:

Never tried as I don't have access to a 4K monitor. You're breaking new ground here. Good luck!

Thanks Stork. Will update you guys probably after Christmas once I've built it (waiting for the sales to hit)

I also understand that this motherboard is future proof in regards to NVME? If Apple use this in the future, will we able to use NVME SSDs natively OOB?

Also, as your USB-C isn't working, do you think it will ever work natively as Apple already has USB-C capable laptops in the wild (the MacBook 12 series)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back