Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify. There are three flavors of M.2 drives out there right now.

1. M.2 NVMe. Gives read and writes of 1500+MB/s. These need drivers for macOS to recognize them.
  2. M.2 AHCI. Gives read and writes of 1500+MB/s. Has slightly lower IOPS than M.2 NVMe. Natively recognized by macOS.
  3. M.2 SATA. These are essentially standard 2.5" SSDs in a different package with different connector. Performance will be no better than a standard 2.5" SSD. These will use one of the SATA ports on your motherboard. Natively recognized by macOS.
Yes! (I had a brain problem.) Thank you pastrychef for stating the choices more distinctly. :thumbup:

I have the Samsung 951 M.2 AHCI 512GB SSD, which is #2 on the above list, and that's the one I would recommend if you have the money ($400 USD at this date/time) as it has the best speed vs. hassle (NVMe).

So, for the HERO, if you want to use the M.2 slot, you'll need to have either a #1 or @2.

Hi Guys,

My five year old build is giving me tons of problems and it's time for a new build. But man have things changed, I have had a super stable build forever. But I'm trying to decide on a new MB right now and the HERO is one of them. But I have a question when I was looking in the parts link for this MB especially through Newegg it take me to the MB but I noticed that there was some kinda questionable reviews then a little towards the bottom it lists a newer version of the MB that has better reviews and is also cheaper. Does anyone know if the newer one is just as compatible? And if there is really a difference?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Also on a side note the other MB that I'm considering is the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 any thoughts vs the HERO??

Thanks in advance!!!

MyHero works great with El Capitan & Sierra. I don't use any other operating system with it. As for the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5, this thread is devoted to MyHero, so I suggest you look for other User Build threads or in the Sierra Desktop Guides forum section.

Thanks Stork for the reply! What do you think about that updated Hero board do you think it's will be fine if I use the newer one?

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the "updated" HERO motherboard. But, it's standard operating procedure for motherboard (and graphics cards) manufacturers to "rev" (revision) their products, most are due to several components changed/updated due to supply or better product. So, revisions are usually good and not noticeable to the general public.

Just built an i7 Hero to replace my very old 775 Gigabyte 9650 machine. Indeed, things have changed for the faster and better. Thanks to everyone here for their insights and thank you Stork for your wisdom, you've helped me save a few gray hairs. I am 100% behind these machines. This was no more difficult than any other OS install and by far the easiest Hackintosh build/ upgrade to date. 100% working machine and if you are thinking of building one, this is a good option.

Last edited:
Just built an i7 Hero to replace my very old 775 Gigabyte 9650 machine. Indeed, things have changed for the faster and better. Thanks to everyone here for their insights and thank you Stork for your wisdom, you've helped me save a few gray hairs. I am 100% behind these machines. This was no more difficult than any other OS install and by far the easiest Hackintosh build/ upgrade to date. 100% working machine and if you are thinking of building one, this is a good option.

I stumbled upon Storks build and liked the looks of the asus boards. I couldnt find a build though that used the Extreme board and knew it would be a challenge even though they are in the same family. Following Storks guide helped me tremendously. The issues though that I had were not easy but I have learned some things along the way. I cannot wait till my next build in a few years when this one shows signs of being outdated. Ive used macs for over 17 years now and prob will never again buy a official mac. Unless its a notebook. And the new Macbook Pros will be very tempting. I will say thank you Stork for your guide. If I ever get the time I will attempt to do a guide for my board. Hopefully it could help someone as you have helped me. I continue to monitor this forum in case I see some of the stuff I went through and help them.

moabyte & boogieman77,

I'm glad you found my build description helpful and saved you time and frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back