Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad I used a M.2 ACHI SSD blade in MyHero build rather than a M.2 NVMe SSD as I did in Gene - a lot less hassle. Best of luck with your endeavors.

hi Stork, I've been trying to source for the Samsung SM951 512G AHCI version of the SSD for two days. Everywhere is out of stock. I read from your post that the NVME will cause quite some hassle.

Should I go with the readily available SATA ssd then?
I'd go with the ACHI M.2 SSD unless you need the speed of the NVMe M.2 SSD. As I said earlier, you need a special modified kext from RehabMan (see my Gene build description for more information), and RehabMan's nvme-patcher has to be run for each new update of the El Capitan or Sierra. So, you have to wait for his updated nvme-patcher before you update Sierra. If you're patient, you'll be fine with the NVMe SSD.

Samsung's new 960 M.2 NVMe comes in a 1TB version, but it appears to be out of stock at Newegg. It will probably need a unique patch; check with RehabMan in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/os-x-driver-for-nvme-m-2-solid-state-drives-released.181387/

I'd go with the ACHI M.2 SSD unless ...

Actually, I don't think I need to be faster than that. My aim is to only get my parts to be as close as yours, as I am a total newbie
when it comes to hackintosh, so, having a guide to follow and using the same parts would really helps.

I've tried google, local online store, amazon, newegg, local sales forum, China TaoBao.... I just can't get the SM951 AHCI. Everyone is out of stock. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Pastrychef mention using the adapter with Apple proprietary SSD...does it mean it will be support oob? I notice I can find the adapter from china, and also the ssd drives. I am just not sure which one to get. Get those for 2013-2014 macbook pro? Do they have different adapter for pre-2013 macbook air / macbook pro? Frankly, I am quite confuse now. :lol::lol::lol:

My cpu, casing, mobo, ram, fans are coming. but I still has not have the storage down.

Since you can't get a SM951, then use a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, like a 120GB EVO. Get it up and running. Then, see if the newer M.2 SSD blades appear again or something better comes along. I use the EVO SSDs for testing new software, and they appear to work just as fast. Really, the M.2 just saves space...at least for me and my general purpose processing needs.

Since you can't get a SM951, then use a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, like a 120GB EVO. Get it up and running. Then, see if the newer M.2 SSD blades appear again or something better comes along. I use the EVO SSDs for testing new software, and they appear to work just as fast. Really, the M.2 just saves space...at least for me and my general purpose processing needs.

I use those, too, and also found some of the Crucial's on Amazon and various other sites run really well too. I picked up a couple of the last year model Crucials from Amazon last week. 525GB for $110 a piece. Using one now to get a windows partition and some other stuff going on it. I need windows only for a select few programs.

I also wanted to add. After updating my BIOS on the Maximus Extreme VIII to latest version, I boot everytime and dont get the random error alocating memory. I still use optiofix2000 and will keep using it. Just so anyone see this and have that as a random boot error.

Stork, I realize the Samsung 850 Evo has both SATA and M.2 version. Which one should I get?
Since they will both operate at SATA 3 speeds, it's a toss up. The SATA (2.5") version can be used in multiple computers while the M.2 can only be used with motherboards that have the M.2 slot for ACHI use.

However, in another 2+ years, there will be different, faster interfaces and products. I have the M.2 because I wanted to test out the M.2 ACHI SSD as well as the M.2 NVMe which is in my Gene system. Simplifies cable management, too.

If I had it to do over again, I would have still picked the M.2 ACHI SSD. The 2.5" 850 Pro & EVO SSDs certainly have attractive pricing right now, though.

So, it's a personal preference.

Just to clarify. There are three flavors of M.2 drives out there right now.

1. M.2 NVMe. Gives read and writes of 1500+MB/s. These need drivers for macOS to recognize them.
  2. M.2 AHCI. Gives read and writes of 1500+MB/s. Has slightly lower IOPS than M.2 NVMe. Natively recognized by macOS.
  3. M.2 SATA. These are essentially standard 2.5" SSDs in a different package with different connector. Performance will be no better than a standard 2.5" SSD. These will use one of the SATA ports on your motherboard. Natively recognized by macOS.

Ahhh, then I should have gotten the M.2 version so as to save on the cables. Well, may be SATA wasn't such a bad idea. May be one day it would become convenient to use NVME drive, then, I can use the M.2 port I still have. :)

I notice it is really hard to find AHCI SSD nowadays. From where I am from, none of the shop here carry one.

Just now I even had difficulty getting the Corsair RMx 650W PSU. Ended up getting a 750W at some extra cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back