Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of building the exact same build(no parts purchased yet...4 months in the planning and counting); but with a 980ti. I know the physical install would be the same, but would there be any different processes in getting the card to recognize?

Hi Hyfidelity

I followed Storks build instructions to the letter and I installed an ASUS GeForce 980Ti Strix with no issues... I would say you are fine to install.

Stork have you by chance upgraded to searra yet. I'm planning on cloning my drive then attempt. But was curious if you have or. It.
(You mean Sierra?) I've not updated to the public release version of Sierra due to other more pressing situation. That said, there are problems with Clover that have to be worked out, and those problems are affecting the release of UniBeast 7 and MultiBeast 9. So, hang in there. As a famous coach said on more than one occassion, "don't rush to fail." :thumbup: Give "things" a chance to settle down. BTW, unless your like being an early adopter, I'd wait for 10.12.1 or .2. I don't upgrade my production systems until the .3 update.

I'm thinking of building the exact same build( no parts purchased yet...4 months in the planning and counting); but with a 980ti. I know the physical install would be the same, but would there be any different processes in getting the card to recognize?
There shouldn't be any difference with the 980 Ti. However, the new Clover for Sierra has a new way of designing to use the Nvidia web drivers, so be aware and follow the threads in the Sierra Desktop Support forum section. I will update my procedures when things settle down in the coming weeks.

Hi, my motherboard ASUS Z170 Sabertooth Mark1 broke down and ASUS will replace it with the MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA.
Do you think it will be ok for Hachintosh? Do you think I need to rebuild the OS again or the old system it will be fine on the new MB while the other componets will stay the same?
Thanks

Hi, im using the exact same motherboard and the installation went flawlessly following your directions. But all of a sudden my ethernet keeps disconnecting and reconnecting again. It keeps happening until i boot and starts happening again after 15/20mins. I have no idea whats going on. Any help would be highly appreciated.

I used Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet

Thanks!

Hi, im using the exact same motherboard and the installation went flawlessly following your directions. But all of a sudden my ethernet keeps disconnecting and reconnecting again. It keeps happening until i boot and starts happening again after 15/20mins. I have no idea whats going on. Any help would be highly appreciated.

I used Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet

Thanks!
Are you using El Capitan? Or Sierra? There maybe a newer version of IntelMausiEthernet in the Download/Kexts menu.

If so, download the newer version, unzip it, and put it on the Desktop. Open /YourDrive/Library/Extensions/ and trash the older version. Run KextBeast (Downloads) selecting /L/E. Confirmed that it is now in the /L/E/ folder. Reboot.

Unfortunately, that's the only solution that comes to mind because my Ethernet works as it should work.

Hello! Great guide, thank you so much!
I've just followed your guide step by step and done a fresh install of El Capitan and almost everything is working properly. I'm having issues booting with a GTX 970. I've installed the latest nvidea web drivers and rebooted with bootflag nvda_drv=1. I get an apple logo and a loading bar like normal, but once it gets to half way the computer restarts. It will never get further than half way, I can get it to boot successfully with nv_disable=1 though. I booted with nv_disable=1 -v and this is the what was on screen right before the reboot:

Specs:
Maximus VIII Hero
i7 6700k
32GB DDR4
GTX 970

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello! Great guide, thank you so much!
I've just followed your guide step by step and done a fresh install of El Capitan and almost everything is working properly. I'm having issues booting with a GTX 970. I've installed the latest nvidea web drivers and rebooted with bootflag nvda_drv=1. I get an apple logo and a loading bar like normal, but once it gets to half way the computer restarts. It will never get further than half way, I can get it to boot successfully with nv_disable=1 though. I booted with nv_disable=1 -v and this is the what was on screen right before the reboot: http://imgur.com/kMxPSKK

Specs:
Maximus VIII Hero
i7 6700k
32GB DDR4
GTX 970

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What system definition are you using? In my experience, for El Capitan, MacPro3,1 is easiest to get up and running.

(You mean Sierra?) I've not updated to the public release version of Sierra due to other more pressing situation. That said, there are problems with Clover that have to be worked out, and those problems are affecting the release of UniBeast 7 and MultiBeast 9. So, hang in there. As a famous coach said on more than one occassion, "don't rush to fail." :thumbup: Give "things" a chance to settle down. BTW, unless your like being an early adopter, I'd wait for 10.12.1 or .2. I don't upgrade my production systems until the .3 update.

There shouldn't be any difference with the 980 Ti. However, the new Clover for Sierra has a new way of designing to use the Nvidia web drivers, so be aware and follow the threads in the Sierra Desktop Support forum section. I will update my procedures when things settle down in the coming weeks.
Thank you Stork!! :). I'll be ordering parts soon and will update when completed.

Hi Hyfidelity

I followed Storks build instructions to the letter and I installed an ASUS GeForce 980Ti Strix with no issues... I would say you are fine to install.
Thank you peterfuj!!! :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back