Contribute
Register

Stork's HTPC Old School P55M-UD2 But Cool HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're referring to the Zotac GT430, then, yes, only the HDMI port works as far as I know since that's all I've got hooked up in my HDTV stand.

My HacHTPC is a P55M-UD2 / i5-760 system (LGA 1156). You must be referring to my Z68-UD3H desktop system. See the title and 1st post of this thread.

Huberer, thank you for updating the information on the Zotac GT430 card. I just confirmed the same information with tonymacx86 - he forgot to tell me the DVI worked in Lion.

No problem. For me the DVI works better than HDMI. The card is a good card for a HackMac.

Don't know cause don't have such a cable. You can try but I would suggest going with DVI

Re: Stork's Old School P55M-UD2 But Cool HTPC - How it works

This Silverstone case has exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend it. See my build description for more information.

The FT03 is a great chassis. I'd like one too, but slim slot-in Blu-ray drives are very expensive (at least 100$), and I'd like one for Region 1 BRDs and DVDs - you can rip them with makemkv, then watch them using VLC or XBMC.

The Silverstone FT03S chase really does look like an interesting case. It's wider in the rear and has unique internal cooling. If either of you guys get the Silverstone FT03S case, be sure to write a build description as it will attract a crowd. :thumbup:

Beyond aesthetic considerations, one big quality of this case stands in its capacity to run fanless with a big heatsink over a non OCed Sandy Bridge CPU. It's just recommended that you remove all inner obstacles to airflow, like fan stands, in order to let the heat go up.
I'm not yet sure of buying one, because its vertical form factor would imply to get a wider TV furniture, but I sure would just build it that way, with just one 120mm PSU fan and no graphic card. :thumbup:

PS: FT03S' S stands for Silver. I prefer the black one (FT03B), because the FT03S fan grills are white. And a new version is titanium (with black fan grills).

Hi there,

I'd like to know how satisfied you are with the noise of your build ?
Would you advise it as a Handbrake video converter machine ?
(I have to convert hundreds of DVD's to .mkv, apart from the Office/Internet everyday work).

Thank you very much, great build.

i-Moi

I can tell when the HacHTPC is on and running. However, I think I'm the only one in my family that hears it when we're using it. Changing out the fans is on my list of things to do. I may even replace the CPU cooler with a Gelid, but I need to pay attention to the temperatures which I really haven't done so far. However, it has met and exceeded my expectations.

I like Handbrake's flexibility. I first used it to make iTunes > Apple TV 1st generation .mp4 video files. I now just the presets for use with Plex Media Software which runs on my Mac Mini and the HacHTPC. If you try or use Handbrake, I think you'll like it like I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back