Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good OpenCore conversion instructions floating about for this and the "ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO" build?

Any good OpenCore conversion instructions floating about for this and the "ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO" build?
I'm not at Gene's location so I can't give you the details. However, I've sucessfully used the Dortania OpenCore Installation Guide many times for my systems. It's very easy to follow. Just block out a couple of hours. Be sure to build the OC EFI folder on a USB thumb drive so as not to break your macOS installation.

Thanks @trs96 @Stork: I managed to use a previous build + the OpenCore diff tool to get the config.plist up to date. I also updated the kexts as per Dortania's lists.

The only kext that seems to not have any updates since maybe a year or more is `Legacy_USB3.kext` so I left that the same.

The backup as per your suggestion + Dortania was a good idea, but surprisingly unneeded which was cool.

I did try something out of the ordinary: OpenCore Configurator 2.46.1.0. I was shocked when it produced config.plist results that lined up differentially with the sample.plist! I know Clover Configurator was always a shunned tool, but this saved a lot of time in making sure things looked right, adding a root device, checking kexts (and loading a new one, thought RestrictEvents.kext could be useful aside from NVMeFix.kext.

Worked really well, thanks guys. I sure wish there could be some kind of a "base project" like what the OCLP guys are doing for real Macs. I realize there's too much variability, but some kind of a base package would sure be nice.

Hello all - any difference whether I upgrade from Catalina to Monterey directly vs Catalina to Big Sur then to Monterey? Thanks!

Hello all - any difference whether I upgrade from Catalina to Monterey directly vs Catalina to Big Sur then to Monterey? Thanks!
I don't know. I'm always update to the latest macOS after 1x.03 update is released. So, I've never skipped a macOS version.

However, you can try to go directly to Big Sur. Be sure to make a bootable backup of Catalina, though.

Anyone try Monterey on this build?

@remington, are you using the latest BIOS? I'm trying to switch over to OC, but I'm having lots of difficulties. I used the EFI folder that you posted, which worked for High Sierra, but I couldn't get it to boot Catalina, or Monterey. I tried to set up an EFI folder myself but it went up in flames, too. It wouldn't boot Monterey, and, when I tried to boot into HS, it booted into recovery in Russian? language. And, when I booted into HS with Clover, my Nvidia graphics don't work with acceleration anymore even after an NVRAM reset. I'm wondering if it's an NVRAM issue with the latest BIOS? Might also be because I have a 9 month old, and I'm doing this during his nap times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back