Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
@remington and @vrudikov

I can move/create a new thread for your posts in this thread if you desire. Then, you can carry on with your conversations on OpenCorre.

@remington and @vrudikov

I can move/create a new thread for your posts in this thread if you desire. Then, you can carry on with your conversations on OpenCorre.

Hmmm! That's a good idea I think, but can you repeat in my topic the right question/answer order?

I will create a thread and let you know when or if you can move all the opencore discussions over there. I have flight to catch today so I don't have time right now.

Thanks

Hmmm! That's a good idea I think, but can you repeat in my topic the right question/answer order?
Yes. The posts' dates drive the order, just like in this thread, oldest to newest.
I will create a thread and let you know when or if you can move all the opencore discussions over there. I have flight to catch today so I don't have time right now.

Thanks
OK.

Stork - will you now be providing any tips for updating to Catalina since I know you like to wait until .3...? Thanks!

Stork - will you now be providing any tips for updating to Catalina since I know you like to wait until .3...? Thanks!
Well...yes. But, not for a few days. I'm waiting for MultiBeast for Catalina to get out of testing. (Long story short, Apple has changed the security for non Apple kexts/drivers and apps. Catalina requires all apps, etc., get approved by Apple and accessible through the Apple Mac App Store.)

Hi Stork - any specific tips for upgrading this build to Catalina or just follow the latest tips from the new MultiBeast and 10.15.4 posts? Thanks.

Hi Stork - any specific tips for upgrading this build to Catalina or just follow the latest tips from the new MultiBeast and 10.15.4 posts? Thanks.
No specific tips...just follow the tonymacx86 Uni/MultiBeast Procedures. Using UniBeast is straight forward to create your USB Installation thumb drive. MultiBeast has new procedures - like putting the kexts/drivers in /EFI/.../Clover/kexts/other/ folder. So read the MultiBeast document that comes with the MultiBeast.zip file.

If you are doing a upgrade over an existing macOS, first mount your EFI partition, and move the hackintosh related kexts from /Library/Extensions/ folder to /EFI/.../Clover/kexts/other/ folder. By "move" I mean copy and delete. Next, update those kexts. Finally, run the following Terminal commands (or Kext Utility):
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches
Reboot to see that your current installation works. Now you're ready to upgrade to Catalina.

All that said, I'm still running Mojave. I have too many 32bit apps that have not been updated to 64bit.

Although I have done it before; this is still a very guide that's up to date for Asus Maximus VIII Gene. I've used this guide for High Sierra. Thank you, once again Stork.

Hi Stork and fellow hackers - if you have some time and don't mind the trouble, can I ask for your advice on an issue I'm having?

I replaced my old GTX 950 for a Sapphire RX580 recently because I couldn't find a way to get the Nvidia card to work for a post-HighSierra macOS. Figured that would be the easiest way to solve the issue. So I did a fresh install of Mojave with the new RX 580 (followed this thread's instruction with Lilu+WhateverGreen and all), and everything seemed okay until I realised the card wasn't working as it should.

Photoshop lags, Chrome lags (so I disabled hardware acceleration) and I can't run the gpu benchmark function over at Geekbench. Seems like the GPU was installed or configured wrongly. So now my computer is basically just an Internet station.

I've tried several suggestions raised on similar forum posts but couldn't find one that fixed my problem. Do you have any idea what could be the issue here? Or at least know where I can find some relevant info to salvage my hackintosh?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.png
    2.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.png
    3.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 4.png