Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Stork, any progress in updating this build to 10.13.4?
Unfortunately, not until next week as we're traveling back from Spring break. Sorry for the delay.

msbc42, et al.

I've updated Gene from Sierra 10.12.6 to High Sierra 10.13.4 without any problems. No Nvidia problems with the GTX 950. I may try substituting the GTX 950 with a GTX 1060, when I have time, to see if the glitching is there with the Pascal cards.

Here's how I updated. I installed High Sierra 10.13.4 over Sierra 10.12.6, but I had to "clean up" the Sierra build first as I was using RehabMan's NVMe spoof kext and SSDT (see below). I also used the default APFS disk format which automatically uses TRIM for SSDs.

Read it all before trying. I also made the outline so you can print it out and check off the steps. :thumbup:

:ch: Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
:ch: Download the High Sierra 10.13.4 installer from the Mac App Store;
:ch: Download MultiBeast v10.2.0 (or the latest) for High Sierra (see tonymacx86 Downloads menu);
:ch: Download UniBeast v8.3.2 (or the latest) for High Sierra (see tonymacx86 Downloads menu);
:ch: Download the latest support kexts, apps, etc.:
:ch: Codec Commander kext
:ch: USBInjectAll kext
:ch: Clover Configurator
:ch: (Optional) For GTX 10x0 graphics card users, Luli and NvidiaGraphicsFixup kexts (see tonymacx86 Downloads menu)
:ch:apfs.efi from How to Update + Current and Past apfs.efi Downloads but don't install it yet.
:ch: KextBeast (see tonymacx86 Downloads menu).​

:ch: Create the UniBeast USB Installation thumb drive per the UniBeast: Install macOS High Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC, Step 2. (We did Step 1 by downloading the High Sierra 10.13.4 installer from the Mac App Store.)
:ch: Copy MultiBeast, Codec Commander, USBInjectAll, Clover Configurator, Luli, NvidiaGraphicsFixup, KextBeast and apfs.efi to the UniBeast USB Installation thumb drive.

:ch: (Optional) If you are using the M.2 SSD slot with a NVMe SSD in Sierra 10.12, then you're probably using RehabMan's HackrNVMeFamily using class-code spoof technique. If so, remove the following:
:ch: SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml from /EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ folder, and the
:ch: HackrNVMeFamily10_12_6.kext from either /Library/Extensions/ folder (where I put it) or /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/other/ folder (if you put it there), and
:ch: Any NVMe patches in the /EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist file.​

:ch: Boot into your BIOS and set the boot disk to the UniBeast USB Installation thumb drive. Save and boot the UniBeast USB Installation thumb drive.
:ch: At the Clover Boot Loader Menu, choose the External icon, which is called "Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra" and install High Sierra.
:ch: The High Sierra installation process will have three re-boots.
:ch: First and second reboots, choose the "Install macOS..." (or something like it), then for the
:ch: Third reboot, choose your installation drive.​

:ch: If your graphics card needs the Nvidia drivers, you'll get a very low resolution screen. If your not prompted to update the drivers, bring up the Nvidia System Preference pane and click the Update button and start the installation process. Reboot after it completes.

:ch:Once reaching the Desktop, copy MultiBeast onto your desktop (or another folder), unzip it and run it using same configuration choices as shown here. (Picture here soon.)
Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > ALC1150
Drivers > Audio > 100 / 200 / 300 Series Audio Support
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet v2.3.0
Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM <---Only if you are using the Nvidia drivers
Build > Install
Gene MultiBeast 10.2.0 Build.png

:ch: NOTE: I didn't select any Driver > USB option(s) because I'm using pastrychef's SSDT-USB.aml.
:ch: Don't reboot yet! Mount the installation's EFI partition (see Post #1 Post Installation for method) and copy apfs.efi to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.

:ch: Reboot into the BIOS after MultiBeast completes its installation.
:ch: In the BIOS, set the boot disk to your installation disk drive. Save and exit.
:ch: At the Desktop,
:ch: copy Codec Commander and USBInjectAll kexts to your desktop (making sure that Codec Commander and USBInjectAll are the only kexts on the Desktop),
:ch: run KextBeast, selecting /Libarary/Extensions/ to place Codec Commander and USBInjectAll in the proper location, and
:ch: either move the Codec Commander and USBInjectAll kexts off the Desktop to a Hackintosh folder in /Applications (that's where I have my tonymacx86 apps) or delete it.
:ch: (Optional) reboot again.​
:ch: At the Desktop, test Audio and your graphics.
:ch: If you don't have any audio, rerun MultiBeast and just select the following:
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > ALC1220
Drivers > Audio > 100 / 200 / 300 Series Audio Support
Build > Install
Reboot <--- You should have Audio/Sound now.​
:ch: If your graphics are glitchy, etc., then copy the Luli and NvidiaGraphicsFixup kexts from the UniBeast USB Installation thumb drive onto your desktop.
:ch: make sure only those two kexts on the Desktop,
:ch: run KextBeast, selecting /Libarary/Extensions/ to place Luli and NvidiaGraphicsFixup kexts in the proper location.
:ch: Reboot​
:ch: Done!

If you having trouble using your USB 3 ports, see Post #84 in the macOS 10.13.4 Update thread for a config.plist modification. However, since I'm using pastrychef's SSDT-USB.aml, my USB ports are working OK.

I'll update Post #1's fresh install instructions shortly. Thanks for your patience. Enjoy your GENE hackintosh.

Last edited:
Stork,

You don’t mention USBInjectAll.kext - is it needed if using pastrychef's SSDT-USB.aml?

Hey Stork, can't we just perform the update to High Sierra via the OSX app and then simply install kexts via multibeast? Also can you explain if using pastrychef's SSDT-USB.aml is better and how to install that.

You don’t mention USBInjectAll.kext - is it needed if using pastrychef's SSDT-USB.aml?
I didn't mentioned it because I was installing High Sierra over/on my Sierra installation. However, you prompted me to check to see if the USBInjectAll.kext has been updated since my last Sierra MultiBeast run, and it has been updated - from 0.60 to 0.64. I've update the procedures to include the latest USBInjectAll.kext. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :thumbup:

Hey Stork, can't we just perform the update to High Sierra via the OSX app and then simply install kexts via MultiBeast? Also can you explain if using pastrychef's SSDT-USB.aml is better and how to install that.
I updated using the UniBeast installation thumb drive because I had it already made up. I also used MultiBeast because it's one-stop-shopping for getting the latest kexts and config.plist patches taken care of. You can do a direct install, but follow tonymacx86's guide > Update Directly to macOS High Sierra. If you try that method, be sure to move FakeSMC to /EFI/EFI/Clover/kext/other as the guide states. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Yes, pastrychef's SSDT-USB.aml is better to use as the Increase 15 Port Limit config.plist patch was suppose to be tempory until you created a SSDT-USB.aml. pastrychef's full mapping and aml and source files can be found here and "some simpler directions on how to implement this USB fix here". (Quoted from pastrychef's Golden Build description.)

Hello Stork,

Minor glitch, but just to let you know that your link to Clover Configurator is broken.
Fixed! Thank you. I've changed the OP, too. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Stork,

have you updated to the latest BIOS - 3703? Any issues with sleep/wake?

Hello Stork,

I don't have any audio with ALC1220 but if I return to ALC1150 everything works fine, should I try something different? or ALC 1150 is also ok for High Sierra. Thanks in advance

Hello Stork,

I don't have any audio with ALC1220 but if I return to ALC1150 everything works fine, should I try something different? or ALC 1150 is also ok for High Sierra. Thanks in advance

Unless I'm mistaken, ALC1150 is the Realtek chip used for Asus Maximus Viii series. ALC1220 is for the newer motherboards. I guess the ALC1120 mentioned was an error (see also post 1 of this thread where Stork's shows the Multibeast parameters used for Sierra installation and specifies ALC1150 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back