Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build went pretty smooth for me. I'm running Sierra 10.12.6. The only thing I need some help with is I can't seem to get the USB C port to work... can anyone give me some pointers? This is important because my Pegusus R4 I was hoping to plug in with adapter.
Thanks!

The USB-C port worked for me without having to do anything.

Does the Pegasus R4 use USB-C or Thunderbolt?

guys

what is the exact procedure when upgrading from 10.12.3 to 10.12.6 using combo update and nvme kext? i have nVME which is really working during 10.12.3 in usb instalaltion with nvme plist injected 12.3. after the installation complete and boot up to 12.3 my question what is the proper procedure to patch 12.6 kext because the combo restart itself without any prompt so you not be able patch the kext to extension.

thenks

guys

what is the exact procedure when upgrading from 10.12.3 to 10.12.6 using combo update and nvme kext? i have nVME which is really working during 10.12.3 in usb instalaltion with nvme plist injected 12.3. after the installation complete and boot up to 12.3 my question what is the proper procedure to patch 12.6 kext because the combo restart itself without any prompt so you not be able patch the kext to extension.

thenks
hello guy ignore this post i solved the issue, thanks

The USB-C port worked for me without having to do anything.

Does the Pegasus R4 use USB-C or Thunderbolt?

The R4 is Thunderbolt, I got a apple adapter from TB to USB C.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQ26QIY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Its not recognizing the drive at all. I tried plugging it in before, during and after booting. But no luck. I'm going to try to acquire a USB C Thumb drive to test if its the port or adapter. The drive mounts on my Macbook pro. Does anyone know if there is a setting perhaps in the bios that would account for this port not to work?
Thanks!

The Gene has no Thunderbolt support.

That adaptor you linked allows Thunderbolt devices to connect to the USB-C ports of the MacBook Pros. Those ports are Thunderbolt + USB ports. The USB-C port on the Gene is strictly USB. Thunderbolt devices connected to that port will not work.

I have last issue on my setup. When I inserted my wireless USB adapter, the system shut off and reboot :)

Just a note...I managed to install High Sierra 10.13.0 GM on Gene's M.2 Samsung NVMe drive. (I had a spare so I didn't botch up my Sierra installation.) The HS GM installer recognized the M.2 NVMe Samsung 950 Pro SSD and installed just fine. I didn't test anymore than seeing if tonymacx86's HS Beta installation guide would let me test installing on NVMe drives.

So, while I'll be in a test mode for the next couple of weeks, I won't upgrade to High Sierra on my production systems until 10.13.3; by then the major bugs will be worked out. I recommend that you don't immediately upgrade to High Sierra as the new file system, Apple File System (APFS), will probably still have bugs.

Reference:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/apples-policy-on-apple-file-system-apfs-for-high-sierra.230533/

For those of you who are contemplating upgrading your GENE to High Sierra when it's released sometime today, I recommend you that you wait until 10.13.3 is released. I know, I know, but Apple's new file system (APFS) in High Sierra is new and still probably has some bugs which is why I recommend you stay with Sierra 10.12.6 until 10.13.3 is released and you have done your due diligence and have confidence that APFS will not lose your important data.

If you decide to be an early adapter, back up your Sierra system with Carbon Copy Cloner v5 (CCC is well worth the cost). Then, make sure you back up important data to a HDD since APFS won't be implemented on HDDs at this time.

Will I upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.0? Yes, only on Gene to test High Sierra's compatibility with the M.2 NVMe SSD that I bought especially for helping tonymacx86 in testing the upcoming guides and Beasts. I'll disconnect the other drives as a precaution. Gene's production use will still be on Sierra 10.12.6 for the meantime.

Just wanted to say thanks for the very thorough guide. I have followed it thus far and seem to have hit a snag. Everything goes great until I do the reboot after running MultiBeast, KextBeast and the EFI mounter. At this point, when rebooting and selecting the drive with Sierra installed, the boot progress bar stops at about 2/3 of the way and stays there indefinitely.

I am using an i7 6700, no graphics card. I've tried using BIOS version 3504 and 3401. I saw someone else had a similar post, on page 104, Post #1035, and they seemed to have fixed it but it's a bit unclear how they did it. I've tried a fresh install twice now with the same results, not sure what I'm doing wrong but this really isn't my area of expertise. Any help would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back