Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite unrelated to these builds, I was astonished today to get an system message saying application memory was running short and please close some apps! This is an old Mac OS situation (bug?) that I last saw many OS X versions ago. I think it may have been aggravated by the fact that at the moment my only storage is a 128GB Samsung SM951 so maybe paging was a problem, but I'll have an HDD soon.

Yes, I think it's due to low space on your SSD.

Hey everyone,

I just tried this build. Hitting a giant snag, but I have some things I'm going to try. Just want to lay out my thought process here in case someone sees a glaring, obvious solution.

Once I try to boot from my El Capitan USB, I get the Apple logo with progress bar, but it just hangs there indefinitely.

Booting in verbose mode, it hangs up at "mbinit: done [128 MB total pool size, (85/42) split]"

I followed Stork's El Capitan guide that is linked in Post #1 of this thread. Posting this here because there doesn't seem to be any activity on that thread, and I don't expect that the installations would be vastly different.

Few things didn't go quite as expected in the BIOS settings:

1) I can't seem to find an explicit XHCI handoff parameter in the Gene BIOS. I was running the latest BIOS version (3504), then backtracked to 3401 to 100% coincide with this build guide. No luck. Not sure if this is something I should worry about?

2) To disable secure boot, I had to delete all the drive keys. Again, this step wasn't explicitly stated in the original guide, so not sure if I should worry about this either.

3) When I made the USB El Capitan Unibeast drive, I used the version of El Capitan that I downloaded as the free update from 10.6.8, linked here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 ( I had tried building an Ivy Bridge hackintosh but never got past 10.6.8 (boot 0 errors), so that gave me an excuse to just start completely over with new components. ) Does anyone know if there is a difference between this version of El Capitan and a "standard" version?

Path forward:

- I am going to remake the USB thumb drive. I was an idiot and used a 3.0 drive.

Again, just a stream of consciousness to maybe help someone else, or get some input from more experienced people!

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I just tried this build. Hitting a giant snag, but I have some things I'm going to try. Just want to lay out my thought process here in case someone sees a glaring, obvious solution.

Once I try to boot from my El Capitan USB, I get the Apple logo with progress bar, but it just hangs there indefinitely.

Booting in verbose mode, it hangs up at "mbinit: done [128 MB total pool size, (85/42) split]"

I followed Stork's El Capitan guide that is linked in Post #1 of this thread. Posting this here because there doesn't seem to be any activity on that thread, and I don't expect that the installations would be vastly different.

Few things didn't go quite as expected in the BIOS settings:

1) I can't seem to find an explicit XHCI handoff parameter in the Gene BIOS. I was running the latest BIOS version (3504), then backtracked to 3401 to 100% coincide with this build guide. No luck. Not sure if this is something I should worry about?

2) To disable secure boot, I had to delete all the drive keys. Again, this step wasn't explicitly stated in the original guide, so not sure if I should worry about this either.

3) When I made the USB El Capitan Unibeast drive, I used the version of El Capitan that I downloaded as the free update from 10.6.8, linked here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 ( I had tried building an Ivy Bridge hackintosh but never got past 10.6.8 (boot 0 errors), so that gave me an excuse to just start completely over with new components. ) Does anyone know if there is a difference between this version of El Capitan and a "standard" version?

Path forward:

- I am going to remake the USB thumb drive. I was an idiot and used a 3.0 drive.

Again, just a stream of consciousness to maybe help someone else, or get some input from more experienced people!

Thanks!

You NEED to enable XHCI Hand-off. Without it, you probably won't be able to complete booting from the USB flash drive. It is located in Advanced/USB Configuration of the BIOS.

170721213216.jpg

Pastry - Thanks for the reply.

I posted a pic of my bios screen showing no option to explicitly enable XHCI handoff. Just so you know I'm not crazy.

I'll plan on reverting to an older bios I suppose? Assume this option got removed at some point?

IMG_20170813_120806.jpg

That's really strange... You said you are on BIOS 3401 which is what I'm on as well...

Remember, the flack back port is the port that under the ethernet port.

Also, since you are using a Skylake CPU, you may want to consider BIOS 2202 because it was the last BIOS version to give native NVRAM support. I begrudgingly updated to 3401 for better Kaby Lake CPU support when I upgraded my CPU.

Last edited:
Thanks Pastry again!

I was running BIOS version 3504, not 3401 like I thought. 3504 was released 8/11 (literally the night before I started this thing).

I reverted to 3401 and all seems to be fine. Working through the install right now. I'll keep you guys updated.

Bottom line right now: IF YOU ARE READING THIS, DO NOT UPDATE TO BIOS VERSION 3504!

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
I have done this build, and I didn't try to disable secure boot. You'll see that doing that isn't listed in Stork's guide or Patrychef's. The things you do in the boot menu are are:

Boot Menu
:ch: Fast Boot > Disabled
:ch: Boot Logo Display > Disabled
:ch: Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS
:ch: Boot Option 1 > USB installer thumb drive (the UEFI choice if there are two entries)

Wedge

Thanks. I'll re-enable the secure boot.i read step three of the unibeast osx install guide.

So far the install is working. I'll be purchasing a m2 ssd tomorrow and basically redoing everything I've done on that. Today I just installed everything on an old 5400 rpm spin hd.

Hi- Just an update. About 10 days ago I installed a couple of HDDs, small Logitech USB speakers and a webcam with mikes (the camera works with Preview for capturing signature images!). I migrated my apps from my iMac and copied my data over. Very few issues about the migration - just a couple of apps that needed reinstalling and a few permission errors. The biggest PITA was iCloud — I had to keep entering passwords for my Apple Id for quite a while.

Apart from these very minor, typically Apple issues, everything I've tried and use works fine. Graphics are great, no sound issues, scheduled and prompted sleep and wake always work. The only time my system has closed down was when I ordered it to. I'm on 10.12.6. so there haven't been any OS updates yet. Love the Phanteks case and Noctua cooler — even when the fans are working I can barely hear them. The 31.5in AOC at 2560 x 1440 is very usable for me - on the 27in iMac that was too small for these ageing eyes.

I don't have an SSDT yet - not sure what it would improve.

EDIT 19 August: I did an SSDT, but got 2 warnings and error that I'm uncertain about, though the compile completed with no errors. I've posted in the Quick guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management looking for advice.

Last edited:
Guys, if the latest version of BIOS (3504) does not start installing macOS, then here's the solution - turn off the keyboard simulation in the USB settings. I myself encountered such a problem after updating BIOS. It turned out that the keyboard emulation function prevented the loader of the USB-drivers macOS. Also, in the new BIOS, there is no XHCI hand-off function. (Sorry for bad English))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back