Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
so it wasn't the kernel_task that was causing my CPU to run at a higher frequency that it should, it was the SSDT-i&-6700K.aml file! If I use that the CPU stays over 3Ghz most of the time - If I just get rid of it and don't use any aml then it works fine! weird... I tried to redownload it but have the same issue, not using one currently and things seem much better.

ok, after redoing everything with a fresh load, the only issues I'm having is that after waking from sleep the USB hard drive I have connected says it was not properly ejected. the wifi also takes 10 seconds to come online making Apple Watch fail unless I try it a few times. any ideas? Im thinking it some kind of USB issue but I have tried everything I can think of.

So I enabled an overclock and this did something to the power settings that fixed my USB ejection on sleep issue. now if I could only get the wifi to work immediately upon resume so my Apple Watch unlock worked the first time... It times out and prompts for password, if I hit escape and then space bar to wake it again it works.

So, just wanted to post a message here related to a thread i've started elsewhere:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ting-into-black-screen-w-cursor.213181/page-2

My general advice to folks following this build, as i did, is to GET YOURSELF A VIDEO CARD.

Intel HD530 (the onboard GPU) is a ****ing pain to deal with, with hackintosh. I'm sure HD630 on Kaby Lake has similar issues since as i understand the two are so similar. I'm now looking to get maybe a 7xx series NVIDIA card, though availability may have me ultimately getting 9xx series.

In any case, compatability is always of utmost importance, so search around and see what others have done that works, etc. Don't make the mistake that I did, by assuming that one less part in your own build will mean one less thing to worrry about. Hackintosh's are fickle, and you're best off doing whatevver you can to maximize the likelihood of your project's success.

Hey Mr. Stork!! As I was doing my searches to find answers to the troubles I'm having with a new build, your post here came up high in the search results. So I started working my way through your most excellent install/config instructions - specifically the bits & pieces about creating my UniBeast Sierra USB install drive, but "stealing with pride" your config.plist with the patches applied for the M.2 tweaks.

Booted from my newly minted Sierra UniBeast installer drive (adding -v bootflag on the fly) and the first part of the install went flawlessly! Sierra install begins, I partitioned/formatted my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 drive, and proceeded to compete part 1. Do the usual reboot when asked, and again, booted from the USB drive, but of course this time selecting the M.2 drive to complete boot. Again, things going swimmingly until I get to the step where Sierra asks me about my network connection (as it evidently wasn't detecting the NIC on my mobo). So I set to DHCP and clicked "continue." BAM... mini-crash & reboot.

Now, all I get is this when I try to boot from USB drive, but select the M.2 to complete setup:
M.2 error.jpg

I've seen this message before with my ASUS X99-DELUXE mobo build, so of course I tried all the fixes from that experience (things like simply adding the Test2-2016.efi to EFI > Clover > drivers64UEFI, or replacing OsxAptioFix2DRV.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi file in the drivers64UEFI folder, etc.). But no joy. Any other thoughts?
New build components:
ASUS Z170-Pro
Intel i7 6700K
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8) 3600MHz
EVGA GX 740 SC (2GB)

As a side-note, I have the system running like a champ with a regular Samsung 950 Pro SSD. I was just hoping to squeak out a bit better performance by using the M.2. This build is a new video editing rig for my day job - I'm starting to do a lot of 360/VR video production for our field salesforce. :D

It sounds like the correct Ethernet driver on the UniBeast Installation USB thumb drive isn't there. Check to see what Ethernet drivers are in the thumb drives /L/E/ folder. You may have to add the correct one to the config.plist's Clover/kexts/ folder.

I will definitely give that a look/see. Stay tuned!!! :) (and again, great post/build/instructions!) :headbang:

Hi Stork - Going over your installation guide. When editing the config.plist in Xcode for the NVidia drivers, when I go to "Arguments", then only thing in there is dart=0. Do I erase it, or, do I keep it and then add a comma and then add darkwake=0?

I did add the comma and then darkwake=0, and, I'm not sure if that's the cause, but, the computer just boots to a black screen and the monitor goes to sleep after the boot apple logo. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

use clover configurator to edit the config.plist, there is a pull down for darkwake under the boot menu. you need to leave dart=0, put it back the way it was.

AlphaFox- Just did that. However, I can't find in Clover Configurator on how to change the NVidiaweb key to "true"... In "System Parameters", I see a checkbox for "NvidiaWeb". I put a check in it and rebooted and I'm still getting the same result = monitor goes to sleep after booting. I did make the change with darkwake in Clover Configurator. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back