Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick enough so you notice it. I'm assuming, when you say "press the button", that you mean turn on the machine? Dunno. I never felt the need to put a watch to it since the system has to boot through the BIOS startup. However, at the Clover boot screen after I choose the the disk to boot from, it's less than 20 seconds, I'm guessing. If I think of it, I'll time it from turn on. But, I skip the screen login, booting directly into the Desktop.

Update:
- 15 seconds Push the computer turn on button (cold start) until BIOS post screen appears
- 5 seconds until Clover boot screen appears
- <15 seconds to load to the Desktop after selecting boot disk (I got distracted)

Thanks for the reply. Weird. On my configuration to boot from a "cold" start takes about 20 seconds (from turn on till log screen), although my drive is slower. Just wondering - is it because of GENE or 950 pro. Anyway - thanks again for the reply!
P.S. Sorry for bad English)

Thanks for the reply. Weird. On my configuration to boot from a "cold" start takes about 20 seconds (from turn on till log screen), although my drive is slower. Just wondering - is it because of GENE or 950 pro. Anyway - thanks again for the reply!
P.S. Sorry for bad English)
Yours takes 20 seconds probably because you don't have the Clover Boot screen, but go directly into booting El Capitan. Bottom line...a couple of seconds here or there to get to the Desktop is trivial. It's fast enough for me. Frankly, I can't tell the boot up time difference between Gene's Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD and MyHero's Samsung 951 ACHI M.2 SSD. Close enough. :thumbup: Any difference, as far as I'm concerned, is only worth arguing over several pitches of damn good beer. ;)

@Stork, or anyone who has this issue (should i open up a new thread perhaps)

Why is the NVME disk seen as an external, is there anyway to change this so it becomes a normal an internal volume?

This is my first hackintosh build. In fact, this is also my first building of a PC of any kind and I found the information on this thread to be invaluable. Thank you Stork for providing us with your build advice and actively maintaining the thread!

I followed your build and instructions as closely as possible, with the exception of using a Samsung 850 EVO instead of the newer NVMe models and a TP Link Archer T4U. The installation went smoothly although I did have to fiddle around with small audio and wifi issues. ICloud, Messages and Facetime seems to be working fine and so far, I've encountered no major problems.

While I was finishing up the installation with Multibeast, I had one missing driver option:

Drivers > USB > 100 Series Audio

This driver option was missing for me, which leads me to wonder if it is crucial to my setup. Any advice on this?

Other than that, I had a wonderful hackintosh building experience! Thank you so much! ;)

@Stork, or anyone who has this issue (should i open up a new thread perhaps)

Why is the NVME disk seen as an external, is there anyway to change this so it becomes a normal an internal volume?
Are you using the NVMeGeneric.kext or RehabMan's script kext for your NVMe SSD?

...While I was finishing up the installation with Multibeast, I had one missing driver option:

Drivers > USB Audio> 100 Series Audio

This driver option was missing for me, which leads me to wonder if it is crucial to my setup. Any advice on this?

Other than that, I had a wonderful hackintosh building experience! Thank you so much! ;)
Your welcome! Yes, you do need the 100 Series Audio option in MultiBeast. Run MultiBeast v8.2.3 again, just selection the ALC1150 audio driver/kext and the 100 Series Audio. Then reboot.

Are you using the NVMeGeneric.kext or RehabMan's script kext for your NVMe SSD?

I'm using RehabMans script with the method you used earlier in the thread

I'm using RehabMans script with the method you used earlier in the thread
I forgot about this config.plist patch:
Code:
        <key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
            [B]<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>External icons patch</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                RXh0ZXJuYWw=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                SW50ZXJuYWw=
                </data>
            </dict>[/B]

... [I](other entries, if any)[/I]...
        </array>

References:
Clover Wiki: https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/KernelAndKextPatches#kernelandkextpatches_kextstopatch
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/i...ernal-whats-the-best-fix.179491/#post-1156250
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/m...rnal-drive-on-my-desktop.175938/#post-1127935

Updated to 10.11.6 via the MAS using the steps outlined in my Post #2 in the 10.11.6 Update thread. :thumbup:

TRIM survived the update as did the audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back