Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork, if I could hoist you on my shoulders right now I would.

Thank you so much!
The AppleIntelE1000e kext did the trick.

Stork, if I could hoist you on my shoulders right now I would.

Thank you so much!
The AppleIntelE1000e kext did the trick.
Great! I'll update the build description. Thank you for your confirmation!.

Hey Stork,

I'm considering a very similar build, and was wondering if you overclock this Hack, and also why you chose the HSF that you did?

I'm concerned about the Skylake bending/cracking issue with the substrate if too much force is used on the cooler mounting, even in some cases with waterblocks.

Thanks again for more great info!

Hey Stork,

I'm considering a very similar build, and was wondering if you overclock this Hack, and also why you chose the HSF that you did?

I'm concerned about the Skylake bending/cracking issue with the substrate if too much force is used on the cooler mounting, even in some cases with waterblocks.

Thanks again for more great info!
I have not OC this system. I might in the future, but I don't need to OC for my applications.

The processor cooler should never be tighten down "tightly" but, rather, snugly. The heat transfer with the processor cooler I'm using is more than adequate for my use. However, if I do OC, I will switch to a Thermaltake cooler like the Water 2.0 Performer I used in my Thunderball system. (The Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer has been replaced by the Water 3.0 Performer (and Extreme)). MacMan recommended the Thermaltake Performer to me, and I've found it quiet and efficient. IMO, it's a cut above the Corsair water coolers.

Thanks for the details. I am looking into possibly building a Skylake series computer. I am currently running a 3 yr old hackintosh with an intel i3 along with on onboard graphics. Has there been any updates on the usability of onboard graphics with Skylake cpus? Also can I use your instruction on how to insert the kexts patches on an ASUS Maximus Viii Hero? Also, I noticed you had an M.2 drive on the list. Can you use that as a bootable drive for OS X? If so was there any special/extra steps you had to go through before you could get it to boot off the M.2 independently. Thank for the input. I just want to know what I am getting into before I start investing money in a new build.

Thanks for the details. I am looking into possibly building a Skylake series computer. I am currently running a 3 yr old hackintosh with an intel i3 along with on onboard graphics. Has there been any updates on the usability of onboard graphics with Skylake cpus?
Not that I'm aware of. If you are set on using the Skylake HD530 on-board graphics, I'd monitor the progress here on tonymacx86. But, I don't expect fully working HD530 until Apple releases an iMac using the Skylake chipset and using HD530.

Since you didn't list your requirements for a Hacintosh (general computing, games, video, audio, etc.), I recommend you hold off until the HD530 display problems are overcome. But, there are inexpensive graphics cards that can be used. See the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide, Graphics cards section, for more information.

Also can I use your instruction on how to insert the kexts patches on an ASUS Maximus Viii Hero?
Yes. Put the kexts on the desktop and run KextBeast. :thumbup:

Also I noticed you had an M.2 drive on there, can you use that as a bootable drive for OS X? If so was there any special/extra steps you had to go through before you could get it to boot off the M.2 independently. Thank for the input. I want to know what I am getting into before I go buy all the parts.
I've finally got the Samsung M.2 drive to boot El Capitan. I will eventually update the build description on how I did it, but it's still a work in progress. Hint: Use the kext as described in http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ver-nvme-m-2-solid-state-drives-released.html in both your UniBeast installation stick and install it in the config.plist > kexts > 10.11 folder. More on this later, maybe next week.

Thanks again Stork,

Would you have any internal pictures of the build that you could post?

Also, are you having any issues with the Samsung 950 M.2? I'm pretty much considering the same exact build as you, except for the HSF and Video Card (I have a Gigabyte GTX 960- ITX size).

Do you think a Water 3.0 Extreme would fit the front of the case?

...Would you have any internal pictures of the build that you could post?
What are you specifically interest in?

Also, are you having any issues with the Samsung 950 M.2? I'm pretty much considering the same exact build as you, except for the HSF and Video Card (I have a Gigabyte GTX 960- ITX size).
See my previous post.

Do you think a Water 3.0 Extreme would fit the front of the case?
I don't know as I'm not ready for a liquid cooler, yet. It will depend upon the case you choose. You'll have to do your due diligence.

I would like to game on my computer. My current hackintosh sort of handles it but ends up lagging a lot, that is why I am looking to do an upgrade. My goal was to get a graphics card eventually for the computer but I had been hoping to do that later on. I only have so much money at the moment, so I was going to use onboard for a month or 2 till I could purchase a card such as a 980ti or a GTX 970. But if there are no onboard graphics I guess I will have to pull the trigger and buy one. How much of a difference do you see with the M.2 drive vs the ssd? Do you only have the operating system installed on the M.2 and then the SSD has your applications?, or how do you have it configured(symbolic links?)?

jpolk1,
I have a current version of El Capitan on both the M.2 and SATA SSDs. The M.2 SSD is in the "early adapter" category. If you're on a budget, I would recommend a less expensive "Z" motherboard, a good SATA SSD and the same i5-6600K processor. (Do you have a Micro Center near you? They discount the motherboard if you buy the processor at their discounted price.) Then, I'd put that savings toward your graphics card. The GTX 750 Ti in my Hector build and the GTX 950 in this build are good, low cost, entry leve gaming cards.

However, since gaming is about throughput (or so I'm told), I'd prioritize my purchases as 1) graphics card (research your games to find the "sweet spot" card), 2) processor (again, I've been told (or read) that top of the line i5 processor is good enough for gaming), and 3) OC'ing for the super enthusiast.

But, take my advise and research you system components. You have to be satisfied with your choices. You might want to ask your question(s) in the tonymacx86 Gaming forum section > http://www.tonymacx86.com/gaming/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back