Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Multibeast install portion, do you select the internal drive where the OS is installed or another drive, or the flash drive ?

Select the internal drive where you have macOS installed.

For the Multibeast install portion, do you select the internal drive where the OS is installed or another drive, or the flash drive ?
MultiBeast defaults to the drive you run it on. But, don't use MultiBeast for Sierra (v9.2.1) on High Sierra. Wait for MultiBeast for High Sierra (v10) to be released (soon now).

BTW, nice case mod. :thumbup:

Select the internal drive where you have macOS installed.
Got it, its not showing up on the list of devices to choose from and I assume this because I have the drive formated as APFS. (Stork pointed out that I should wait for the v10 of Multibeast, maybe thatll fix my graphics not working issue? Thanks!

Got it, its not showing up on the list of devices to choose from and I assume this because I have the drive formatted as APFS. (Stork pointed out that I should wait for the v10 of MultiBeast, maybe that'll fix my graphics not working issue? Thanks!
Yes. Also, you may want to consider redoing your install, if it was a fresh install, not over an older macOS version, using HFS+ since APFS is still too new with bugs and unknown affects on hackintoshes.

BTW, I'm waiting to 10.13.3 is released to determine if I want to upgrade my GENE build. Sierra 10.12.6 is mature and I don't have to disrupt my use of it if I get an "oops!"

Yes. Also, you may want to consider redoing your install, if it was a fresh install, not over an older macOS version, using HFS+ since APFS is still too new with bugs and unknown affects on hackintoshes.

BTW, I'm waiting to 10.13.3 is released to determine if I want to upgrade my GENE build. Sierra 10.12.6 is mature and I don't have to disrupt my use of it if I get an "oops!"
Yea I hate to admit it but I had 10.12.6 working perfect and then decided to update to 10.13 which wrecked it and so I went back to windows for a little while. Now with 10.13.1 I am working on getting my Hackintosh up and running again. One thing I can say is that without any configuration my wifi, ethernet, and usb3 work right after install. although sound and graphics are a problem.

Got it, its not showing up on the list of devices to choose from and I assume this because I have the drive formated as APFS. (Stork pointed out that I should wait for the v10 of Multibeast, maybe thatll fix my graphics not working issue? Thanks!

If that's the case, then you can install Clover to a USB flash drive and boot from it in BIOS. Once booted in to macOS, you can install Clover to your internal macOS drive.

FYI for those contemplating a Sierra to High Sierra upgrade on this hardware:

I just did the direct update from 10.12.6 to 10.13.1 (without the file system conversion) using these instructions < https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/ >.

Everything worked fine except 1) no audio, and 2) my front panel USB3 ports. I used the audio_cloverALC-130_v0.3.command script to patch the audio -- perfect fix! Then I used Clover to edit the "find" and "replace" fields in the "port limit patch" per this post: < https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-usb-raise-port-limit-patch-for-high-sierra.226072/ >. That enabled my extra ports. iMessage, etc all still working fine...

Last edited:
@Stork what is your usage over this machine? Also you no more updating the GENE?

umr an23, Gene and MyHero are my production systems. I use both for general purpose computing, audio recording with GarageBand and video work with Handbrake.

Because these two systems are my production systems, I won't be upgrading to High Sierra until High Sierra 10.13.3 update is released, if then. High Sierra's Apple File System (APFS) is new and is not bug free, yet. However, I have made a habit of not upgrading my production systems until the .3 release since macOS 10.0.3.

That being said, I've been testing High Sierra with a spare M.2 NVMe SSD (other SSDs are disconnected) and have found that using APFS with the M.2 NVMe SSD seems to be working fine. High Sierra recognizes the NVMe SSD without the use of RehabMan's HackNVMeFamily kext.

BTW, I originally built Gene with a GTX 950 graphics card. I upgraded to a GTX 1060 once Nvidia released the drivers for the Pascal (10x0) series graphics cards. Now, I'm testing a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card for compatibility. The 580 currently runs well with Apple's drivers, the Luli and Wherevergreen kexts; wake-up from sleep works unlike the previous generations of AMD graphics cards. This Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card is the same one used by Apple in their eGPU Thunderbolt peripheral which is only available to developers. Gigamaxx has confirmed the latest version of Clover negates the need for the Luli and Wherevergreen kexts. So, basicly, the newer AMD graphics cards will run natively in High Sierra 10.13.1 and Clover version r4289 (and newer).

Let me know if you have any questions about High Sierra installation. I won't update Post #1 until I upgrade to 10.13.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back