Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks ddsmith only one USB port worked to install (the bottom front ports... very odd) also I did remove all other drives. That got me through the install 98% of the way. At the last step (to Change BOOT > Boot Options Priorities > Select your installation disk to either the:UEFI Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drive) when restarted I do not see my new internal Partition just the external USB on the Clover Boot Screen. Almost as if I never installed. Did it not take? is there something else I missed? Again any help is appreciated Thanks!

I also wanted to add if I boot from the USB I see 5 options on the Clover boot screen they are 1.External USB 2. Boot filevault 3. Preboot 4. Boot internal OS 5. Recovery. When I do select the USB to Boot some line commands flash up... see photo.
Try to boot from the usb efi as often as it takes to finish the installation, then you can boot from the drive's efi.

...I also wanted to add if I boot from the USB I see 5 options on the Clover boot screen they are 1.External USB 2. Boot filevault 3. Preboot 4. Boot internal OS 5. Recovery. When I do select the USB to Boot some line commands flash up... see photo.
When installing, upon reboot, the Clover Boot menu will default on the correct option to boot. If not, then, IIRC, choose the following:
- First two times, choose "Boot macOS Install..." at the Clover Boot screen, and
- Third time, choose "boot from Install drive...".

When installing, upon reboot, the Clover Boot menu will default on the correct option to boot. If not, then, IIRC, choose the following:
- First two times, choose "Boot macOS Install..." at the Clover Boot screen, and
- Third time, choose "boot from Install drive...".

Thank You! I will try this but, at what point if any do I remove the USB or change the boot order? Also want to mention I noticed I cannot mount any USB drives in the OS and I cannot get my graphic card to work with the appropriate drivers. I followed Tony's thread on NVIDIA Cards with no luck. But one problem at a time and this most likely is not the place to post that.

Thank You! I will try this but, at what point if any do I remove the USB or change the boot order? Also want to mention I noticed I cannot mount any USB drives in the OS and I cannot get my graphic card to work with the appropriate drivers. I followed Tony's thread on NVIDIA Cards with no luck. But one problem at a time and this most likely is not the place to post that.
All your questions are answered in Post #1's installation procedures.

If I want to upgrade from a Samsung 850 SSD to a NVMe-M.2 drive, do I just clone my current drive and restore it after the new drive install? Anything in Clover or MultiBeast that I need to do? Thank you.

Also, anything I need to do if I'm upgrading from Skylake to Kabylake? Thank you.

If I want to upgrade from a Samsung 850 SSD to a NVMe-M.2 drive, do I just clone my current drive and restore it after the new drive install? Anything in Clover or MultiBeast that I need to do? Thank you.

Also, anything I need to do if I'm upgrading from Skylake to Kabylake? Thank you.

Easiest way is:
1. Plug in your new NVMe SSD.
2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone from your old Samsung 850 SSD to NVMe SSD.
3. Mount EFI partition of your Samsung 850 SSD.
4. Mount EFI partition of your NVMe SSD.
5. Copy EFI folder from Samsung 850 SSD to NVMe SSD.
6. Done.

Question about #4 in your post. When I plug in my NVMe SSD and boot up, there won't be an EFI partition, right? So what's the best way to create one on the new NVMe SSD? Just create a new partition and call it "EFI" using Disk Utility and copy over the EFI folder over? Thanks.

Question about #4 in your post. When I plug in my NVMe SSD and boot up, there won't be an EFI partition, right? So what's the best way to create one on the new NVMe SSD? Just create a new partition and call it "EFI" using Disk Utility and copy over the EFI folder over? Thanks.

When you initialize any hard drive or SSD to APFS or HFS+, an EFI partition is created. They are just not mounted in macOS automatically. That's why we have to mount them manually. There are apps that can do it such as EFI Mounter or Clover Configurator or it can be done in Terminal.

Ah ok, got it. Thanks for the quick responses! One more question... Can you recommend a decent drive for $100 or less? 256gb or 512gb works.

Also, anything needed software-wise when upgrading from Skylake to Kabylake? Thanks again.

Ah ok, got it. Thanks for the quick responses! One more question... Can you recommend a decent drive for $100 or less? 256gb or 512gb works.

Also, anything needed software-wise when upgrading from Skylake to Kabylake? Thanks again.

Over the weekend, I think I saw either HP or Samsung NVMe 500/512GB SSDs on sale for about $100... But I think the sales are over. Just keep an eye open and I'm sure they will go on sale again.

Upgrading from Skylake to Kaby Lake should be a drop in replacement without the need for any software changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back