Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great build, kudos to you. I have the same build in SST gd08 and is fine. I have 2 questions. Have you attempted to generate C States and use system definitions other than Mac Pro 3.1 ?
I am aware that I Mac 17 definitions cause "black screen" that needs a patch.
Thank you

Great build, kudos to you. I have the same build in SST gd08 and is fine. I have 2 questions. Have you attempted to generate C States and use system definitions other than Mac Pro 3.1 ?
I am aware that I Mac 17 definitions cause "black screen" that needs a patch.
Thank you
Have not made an SSDT to generate C States. Have not used another definition - MP3,1 is my default for now.

I think I need some help....
My system is:

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
16 gB Corsair 2400
Gigabyte GTX960 Windforce
i7-6700K

The problem is I can start the OSX install process...except the SSD in any SATA plug (I tried them all) is not seen by the installer. When I boot with the install USB, clover shows all the attached SSDs but the OSX installer does not.
Further experimenting allows me to install (the SSD is seen) on a USB3 port and a complete and successful install. When I run that version of el Capitan on the USB3 port the SATA SSDs are also not detected.

BIOS (as setup on post #1) sees all the SSDs attached to the SATA ports.

Seems like OSX does not have the right driver/kext to see Maximus VIII Hero SATA ports (ASMedia (E) or the other 4 unidentified SATA (P) ports.

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated (and is this the right place for the issue on Maximus VII board??)

I have run into a curious problem with the audio.
My build:
ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
i7 6700K
16 GB ram
GeForce GT 740 EVGA card

I had audio working just fine with the onboard video, and then when I installed the GT 740 with it's Nvidia Web 10.11.3 drivers, the audio won't come out of the back panel speaker jacks or front panel, but i can still send it to speakers on my network. The Nvidia drivers work great for installing my graphics card, but seem to have shut off the onboard audio. I did use the suggested Realtec ALC 1150, and tried reinstalling that (to no advantage). I checked the system preference sound and it is set to internal speakers and set up as instructed.
Any help on how to adjust the apparent strangle hold that Nvidia had placed on my internal speakers?

Hi Stork,

I wonder if you could comment on a couple of things regarding this build :

That Silverstone chassis is one of those where the motherboard is mounted in a different orientation to most conventional cases i.e likes its upside down (When you consider the position of the rear I/O panel and expansion slots). Has this caused any issues, or provided any benefits ? There are a few Silverstone cases like this and I find it diffcult to get my head around the 'upside down' approach.

With that M.2 blade SSD installed, do you lose any access to the built-in SATA ports ? Some boards reallocate some of the SATA port resources depending what other hardware you install, so you can have one or the other but not both.

Does sleep work properly with the Skylake setup ?

Thanks.

My system is:

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
16 gB Corsair 2400
Gigabyte GTX960 Windforce
i7-6700K

The problem is I can start the OSX install process...except the SSD in any SATA plug (I tried them all) is not seen by the installer. When I boot with the install USB, clover shows all the attached SSDs but the OSX installer does not...
Strange...try disconnecting all SSDs except for the SSD receiving the installation.

I had audio working just fine with the onboard video, and then when I installed the GT 740 with it's Nvidia Web 10.11.3 drivers, the audio won't come out of the back panel speaker jacks or front panel, but i can still send it to speakers on my network. The Nvidia drivers work great for installing my graphics card, but seem to have shut off the onboard audio. I did use the suggested Realtec ALC 1150, and tried reinstalling that (to no advantage). I checked the system preference sound and it is set to internal speakers and set up as instructed.
Any help on how to adjust the apparent strangle hold that Nvidia had placed on my internal speakers?
I have no idea what your solution would be. I recommend you post this problem in the Audio forum section > http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/

...That Silverstone chassis is one of those where the motherboard is mounted in a different orientation to most conventional cases i.e likes its upside down (When you consider the position of the rear I/O panel and expansion slots). Has this caused any issues, or provided any benefits ? There are a few Silverstone cases like this and I find it diffcult to get my head around the 'upside down' approach.

With that M.2 blade SSD installed, do you lose any access to the built-in SATA ports ? Some boards reallocate some of the SATA port resources depending what other hardware you install, so you can have one or the other but not both.

Does sleep work properly with the Skylake setup ?
The SilverStone SST-PS07B case uses the normal motherboard orientation, vertical.
41cIHPvHUUL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006L6ZHAU/

I'm using the Samsung 950 M.2 NVMe SSD with the NVMeGeneric.kext so it's using PCI lane. On page 1-2 of the User's Manual, it says:
This motherboard features an M.2 slot, which supports both PCIE and SATA modes. The PCIE mode operates at full PCI Gen. 3.0 x4 speeds. The SATA mode shares bandwidth with SATA ports 1 and 2 and will automatically disable those ports when an M.2 card is inserted.

Sleep works with wake-up when you use the CodecCommander.kext as mentioned in the build description.

Its looks a bit odd to me because the cases Ive used have always had the slots at the base and the I/O area above.
Here's the back panel:
410L8lzxcBL.jpg
I see what you mean. I hadn't thought of it until now. Since I'm right handed and have my cases on my right of my monitors, I find it is easier to reach my Back Panel and PCI card ports. An unforeseen benefit...for me, at least.

Its an inverted mount which is actually better for your PCIe cards. With inverted cases the GFX cards face up so heat moves up and away from the components where regular cases have them upside down with the heat rising into the chips themselves making heat dissipation harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back