Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used this guide on my recent hack build (Thanks to Stork for posting great step-by-step, a real time saver), as I already had most of the same crucial parts (motherboard in particular).

Everything went fine, except for sleep. The machine boots up so fast I tried to ignore the fact that sleep didn't work, but still it irked me not being able to use sleep. I spent some time removing all devices I could in the search for the correct combination that prevented the machine from going to sleep, to no avail.

From the output of "pmset -g log" and having no other devices plugged in it had to be my Wireless/Bluetooth card (using the Apple card in the PCI-E slot), but I did issues with sleep even prior to this card arriving, although I think those were due to PowerNap being enabled. Regardless, I wasn't really eager to give up Bluetooth as Handoff and Airdrop are working and have been making use of them.

Even though I had read many posts of not needing a patched DSDT on this hardware, I was hesitant to go down that rabbit hold if I could help it. Bit it turns out my solution was indeed to grab the DSDT generated by Clover and patching with Rehabman's "usb_prw_0x6d_xhc_skl.txt" instant wake fixes.

Did a quick study of the DSDT patching guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/), and downloaded the appropriate versions of iasl and MacIasl. Dropped the newly patched DSDT into CLOVER/ACPI/Patched and rebooted.

The machine sleeps perfectly now, as the screams of USB to wake the machine have been hushed. I had previously used his SSDT script to generate a SSDT appropriate for my mildly overclocked (4.4ghz) CPU, and power states are working as expected. I have to wake via Power Button now, but that is perfectly fine by me.

I can finally button up the machine and actually get to using it as intended.

Full specs:
Asus Maximus Gene VIII, Intel 6700k, 9800GTX, 32GB RAM, 1TB SS 850 SSD for the Mac install, SS 512GB 950 M.2 (Windows installed on it, but use it via VMWare fusion most of the time), Corsair H100i water cooler, Corsair HX1000i Power Supply. Airport/Bluetooth card purchased from TaoBao. Corsair Air 240 case. I think that's about it.

Sorry for the repost but does anyone have usb3 working on Sierra or is it just me?

USB 3 has never been a problem for me. Working since installation.

USB 3 has never been a problem for me. Working since installation.
However, you use (I believe) a different method than the one I describe in Post #1. IIRC, you use a SSDT to get your USB ports working vs. my approach is the use of RehabMan's kexts from MultiBeast for Sierra.

Yes, I'm currently using the usb-ssdt.aml method but I started with the 15 port limit fix and in both instances USB 3 worked from the get go.

At no point were my USB ports only functioning as USB 1 and/or USB 2 only.

Thank you both! I did an in place upgrade from El Capitan following post #1 and could not get Sierra to read a USB 3 HDD for the life of me.

Was wondering if it was because I was on iMac 17,1 tried switching to 14,2 after the fact, multiple reattempts at installing USB kexts via MultiBeast

It's just nice to know that it is supposed to work, this is a beautiful thread.

Thanks again!!

I also switched between iMac14,2 and iMac17,1 quite a few times. It never caused any issues with USB.

I did in place upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra as well.

I used this guide on my recent hack build (Thanks to Stork for posting great step-by-step, a real time saver), as I already had most of the same crucial parts (motherboard in particular).

Everything went fine, except for sleep. The machine boots up so fast I tried to ignore the fact that sleep didn't work, but still it irked me not being able to use sleep. I spent some time removing all devices I could in the search for the correct combination that prevented the machine from going to sleep, to no avail.

From the output of "pmset -g log" and having no other devices plugged in it had to be my Wireless/Bluetooth card (using the Apple card in the PCI-E slot), but I did issues with sleep even prior to this card arriving, although I think those were due to PowerNap being enabled. Regardless, I wasn't really eager to give up Bluetooth as Handoff and Airdrop are working and have been making use of them.

Even though I had read many posts of not needing a patched DSDT on this hardware, I was hesitant to go down that rabbit hold if I could help it. Bit it turns out my solution was indeed to grab the DSDT generated by Clover and patching with Rehabman's "usb_prw_0x6d_xhc_skl.txt" instant wake fixes.

Did a quick study of the DSDT patching guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/), and downloaded the appropriate versions of iasl and MacIasl. Dropped the newly patched DSDT into CLOVER/ACPI/Patched and rebooted.

The machine sleeps perfectly now, as the screams of USB to wake the machine have been hushed. I had previously used his SSDT script to generate a SSDT appropriate for my mildly overclocked (4.4ghz) CPU, and power states are working as expected. I have to wake via Power Button now, but that is perfectly fine by me.

I can finally button up the machine and actually get to using it as intended.

Full specs:
Asus Maximus Gene VIII, Intel 6700k, 9800GTX, 32GB RAM, 1TB SS 850 SSD for the Mac install, SS 512GB 950 M.2 (Windows installed on it, but use it via VMWare fusion most of the time), Corsair H100i water cooler, Corsair HX1000i Power Supply. Airport/Bluetooth card purchased from TaoBao. Corsair Air 240 case. I think that's about it.

Do you have a link where you purchased the airport/Bluetooth card? Or is there a resource that lists which network cards are compatible with the Asus Maximum Gene VIII and Mac OSX?

Do you have a link where you purchased the airport/Bluetooth card? Or is there a resource that lists which network cards are compatible with the Asus Maximum Gene VIII and Mac OSX?
See the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide, Accessory section, for PCIe WiFi cards. Unfortunately, the WiFi/BT combo cards are now scare and expensive. See Post #563 here for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back