Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tested Rehabman's NVMe patch based upon the Pike code. It works and eliminates the shutdown/start-up error problem we've seen with the NMVeGeneric.kext. If you use RehabMan's patch, backup your NMVeGeneric.kext….

Is using this patched kext essentially the same as using Pike's Clover patch data on the vanilla file?

I assume it is, but will use this kext if it's more stable or had additional fixes :¬)

Edit: Just seen and read the github page. It seems the patched kext is the way to go.

Last edited:
Is using this patched kext essentially the same as using Pike's Clover patch data on the vanilla file?

I assume it is, but will use this kext if it's more stable or had additional fixes :¬)

Edit: Just seen and read the github page. It seems the patched kext is the way to go.
That's correct. As Pike admits on his blog post for the NVMe for El Capitan, Rehabman and others have found a problem with Pike's patch for the config.plist file. I have confirmed that RehabMan's method is the way to go.

Everything is working great except for one thing... Whenever I try to put the computer to sleep, it immediately wakes itself up. I spent the day trying to figure out the cause and finally narrowed it down to the BCM94360CD in the last PCI-e slot. The second I pull the card, the computer sleeps normally. Turning off wifi doesn't allow the computer to sleep. Deleting wifi from Network preferences pane doesn't allow computer to sleep. Only physically removing it works. Have any other ideas I could try?

Also, I forgot who was asking, but I tested a DRM video in iTunes and I only got a black window.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my build.

IMG_6416.JPG IMG_6414.JPG IMG_6415.JPG

I did a bit more testing. I pulled the wifi card and plugged it in to my Mac Pro 5,1 to see if it would cause any problems in that computer. With the card in the 5,1, it wakes from sleep exactly like it does on my hackintosh build. My only guess is that either the wifi card itself is defective or the mini PCI-e to PCI-e adaptor was poorly designed.

So, I guess I'll be looking for another BCM94360CD card... Does anyone have a link to one that is know to work with sleep? Thanks in advance.

That's correct. As Pike admits on his blog post for the NVMe for El Capitan, Rehabman and others have found a problem with Pike's patch for the config.plist file. I have confirmed that RehabMan's method is the way to go.

Bar the desire for vanilla, is there any reason to not go with the third party driver?

I did a bit more testing. I pulled the wifi card and plugged it in to my Mac Pro 5,1 to see if it would cause any problems in that computer. With the card in the 5,1, it wakes from sleep exactly like it does on my hackintosh build. My only guess is that either the wifi card itself is defective or the mini PCI-e to PCI-e adaptor was poorly designed.

So, I guess I'll be looking for another BCM94360CD card... Does anyone have a link to one that is know to work with sleep? Thanks in advance.
The iMac (BCM94360CD) card that I listed in Post #1's Components works for me.

Bar the desire for vanilla, is there any reason to not go with the third party driver?
You can use the NVMeGeneric.kext but you will experience Shutdown/Start-up error(s) notices, which haven't hurt anything in my experience. The kext was original written for real Mac Pros to use the NVMe SSDs for data disks, not boot disks. Thus, the errors with the NVMeGeneric.kext.

The iMac (BCM94360CD) card that I listed in Post #1's Components works for me.

Thanks! I'll give that one a try.

I have tested Rehabman's NVMe patch based upon the Pike code. It works and eliminates the shutdown/start-up error problem we've seen with the NMVeGeneric.kext. If you use RehabMan's patch, backup your NMVeGeneric.kext.

https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

Here's my procedure for using the patch script:

:ch:Download the patch .zip file and keep it in your ~/Download folder. Unzip it and note the folder name because mine was named "patch-nvme-master"

:ch:Use this Terminal command to determine your installation drive's EFI partition:
Code:
diskutil list

:ch:Use the EFI Mounter v3 to mount your installation's drive EFI partition

:ch:Go to the /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ folder and drag the NMVeGeneric.kext to a backup location. This will just copy the file, so, after you copied it, trash the NMVeGeneric.kext in the .../10.11/ folder.

:ch:Run the following Terminal commands (again, make sure of the patch folder's name in /Downloads):
Code:
cd ~/Downloads/patch-nvme-master
./patch_nvme.sh 10_11_6

:ch:Drag the HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext from the ~/Downloads/patch-nvme-master/ folder to the /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ folder.

:ch:Reboot

:thumbup:

Thanks Stork, i'm very new to all things Hackintosh, but your guide worked perfect for me, although it's seeing the NVMe disk as an external disk? Is this normal?

edit: i've just noticed that the hack doesn't wake from sleep now, it did before... i'm sure there will be ongoing issues i need to sort

I've basically bought a new computer and got everything working in a few hours thanks to many guides on this site, i need to test ports and speeds of everything, but it seems to be running smooth, i may start a new thread to show my success

Last edited:
I cloned my boot drive to an Apple SSUBX blade SSD and used an adapter to connect it to the M.2 slot. Everything worked except after selecting the drive to boot from on the Clover boot screen, the Apple logo would appear and then there would be a delay of about 1-2 minutes before the progress bar appeared under it. Once the progress bar appears, it would boot normal and very fast.

To fix the 1-2 minute delay, I went to EFI/EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI and replaced the VBoxHfs-64.efi file with HFSPlus.efi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back