Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a noticeable speed increase going from the Samsung 850 Evo to a NVMe M.2 drive?

Would I see more of a speed increase going from a Skylake i5 to a Kabylake i5? Thank you.

Is there a noticeable speed increase going from the Samsung 850 Evo to a NVMe M.2 drive?

Would I see more of a speed increase going from a Skylake i5 to a Kabylake i5? Thank you.

Generally, I would say the SSD would probably be "felt" more, especially ff you access the drive a lot, particularly with large files, you would probably feel the benefits of the NVMe more.

I view the setup up from Skylake to Kaby Lake to be a small evolutionary step forward rather than revolutionary. If you want more processing power, a Skylake i7 is probably a better choice than a Kaby Lake i5.

I've had this system running extremely well for two years. A few days ago I decided to update to High Sierra so I can use the latest Adobe Creative Cloud suite. Followed the guide as close as possible. Everything went well. Got to the Post-Installation/MulitBeast, followed the settings and instructions in Post #1. When I restart after MultiBeast, there is no OS drive listed in the Clover screen. I see all of the Clover functions, but no OS drive. If I have the install USB inserted, It shows that, but no more OS drive.

Anyone have any experience with this? This would be my 6th Hackintosh install and the first time it has not been a success.

I tried to install High Sierra twice, double checking this guide and I even tried Mojave. Every time, the same thing, it works until the Post-Installation/MulitBeast reboot.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

I've had this system running extremely well for two years. A few days ago I decided to update to High Sierra so I can use the latest Adobe Creative Cloud suite. Followed the guide as close as possible. Everything went well. Got to the Post-Installation/MulitBeast, followed the settings and instructions in Post #1. When I restart after MultiBeast, there is no OS drive listed in the Clover screen. I see all of the Clover functions, but no OS drive. If I have the install USB inserted, It shows that, but no more OS drive.

Anyone have any experience with this? This would be my 6th Hackintosh install and the first time it has not been a success.

I tried to install High Sierra twice, double checking this guide and I even tried Mojave. Every time, the same thing, it works until the Post-Installation/MulitBeast reboot.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

You don't see anything at all at the Clover boot menu??? Can you please post a picture?

This is what I see when it boots into Clover with the USB install drive removed. If the drive is inserted, it would only show the USB drive as an option.

During the installation process, when I saw the Clover boot screen, there was always one or two "Preboot" drives listed, but I was certain to choose my internal SSD each time.

Thank you for your help, it's been a lot of wasted days over here.

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_164020.jpg
    IMG_20190130_164020.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20190130_164038.jpg
    IMG_20190130_164038.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20190130_164129.jpg
    IMG_20190130_164129.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 128
This is what I see when it boots into Clover with the USB install drive removed. If the drive is inserted, it would only show the USB drive as an option.

During the installation process, when I saw the Clover boot screen, there was always one or two "Preboot" drives listed, but I was certain to choose my internal SSD each time.

Thank you for your help, it's been a lot of wasted days over here.

Wow. Weird.

It seems that the partitions are still on the drive. Have you tried to run any disk repair apps?

If I want to install Mojave, any way to use the integrated graphics until NVidia comes out with the drivers without it looking like crap? Thanks.

If I want to install Mojave, any way to use the integrated graphics until NVidia comes out with the drivers without it looking like crap? Thanks.

Yes. The easy way would just be to pull the Nvidia card. If you want to leave the Nvidia card in and just use the IGPU, that's more complicated and something I've never tried...

Please post your EFI folder and I'll let you know if there are any changes you need to make to it.

I was finally able to upgrade to Mojave. Everything seems fine, computer does wake from sleep, but slowly, and I have to click both my mouse and hit a key on my keyboard to get the computer and monitor to wake. If I use one or the other, the hard drives come on but my display stays in sleep. Is this related to the CSM issue? Is sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0 still necessary (I am using 14,2 def)? I did not run that command after installation and I am on AMD now not NVidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back