Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork's Gene Build: ASUS Maximus VIII GENE - i5-6600K - GTX 950
...​
hello

this argument for nvme match also for elcap or applicable only for mac sierra?

thanks

RehabMan's patcher script works for El Captian 10.11.5 and newer as per the link in Post #1 in the Making the UniBeast USB Thumb Drive, and using RehabMan's Guide on spoofing as described in the NVMe procedure after the MultiBeast installation description.

I actually appear to still have a problem. I think it's sleep state related but I'm not too sure.

When the system reaches the point that the screen saver would kick in it goes really slowly and stutters, even if (like now) I have told the system to never use the screensaver. Within around 30 seconds to a minute or so the system will sort its life out. I have added 'darkwake=0' to the boot args. I've also set autopoweroff to 0 using pmset. During the time it is going slowly things will be very unresponsive and magnification of the dock will not work (for example).

Just wondering what else it might be. I have applied the SSDT.aml for 6700k cpu and confirmed it is loading. I have just now tried disabling powenap (pmset -a powernap 0) to see if that helps.

IIRC I once had a 'system has restarted from an error' (or whatever the exact message was) notification after the computer had been asleep all night so it's acting like the fixes I have put in place are not really working even though everything is telling me they are.

Successfully, installed Sierra over El Capitan on Gene with a M.2 NVMe installation drive. Here's the short story.

Hi Stork — I'm working towards a build using your guide, gradually accumulating the parts. As you have advised, I intend to use an AHCI boot drive initially (Samsung SM951), but I am interested in moving to an NVMe drive later. So I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

In post 637 quoted, you said you had success using the Pike R Alpha patch. Does that method work better than the RehabMan method you have recommended before? I've been reading the forum for a few hours now, so I'm not my sharpest and I may be misunderstanding you. Apologies if so.

One other question - for someone not experienced with such tools (except TextEdit), which is easier to use — Xcode or Plist Edit?

TIA

Wedge Tail,

Post 637 info is old news. My config.plist for the UniBeast USB installation thumb drive, which I attached in Post #1, uses RebabMan's 10.12.4 IONVMeFamily kext patches. RehabMan has taken over the reins from PikeRAlpha on patching the M.2 NVMe SSDs. I now use RehabMan's spoofing SSDT to make my life enjoyable across macOS updates.

I don't use TextEdit to patch plist files. Use Xcode or PlistPro Edit. Either app will do; Xcode is free, but PlistPro Edit is worth the money IMO for those of use that have to patch our config.plist files. However, Xcode works fine.

A belated welcome to the Forum from one bird to another! :thumbup:

Almost forgot, I'm running a Gigabyte GTX 1060 in Gene for a while as I was going to use it in a Z270 build, and the 1060 is just great! I recommend it over Gene's GTX 950. I'm now going to skip the Kaby Lake system and wait for the Cannon Lake / 300 series motherboard later this Fall.

Wedge Tail,

Post 637 info is old news. My config.plist for the UniBeast USB installation thumb drive, which I attached in Post #1, uses RebabMan's 10.12.4 IONVMeFamily kext patches. RehabMan has taken over the reins from PikeRAlpha on patching the M.2 NVMe SSDs. I now use RehabMan's spoofing SSDT to make my life enjoyable across macOS updates.

I don't use TextEdit to patch plist files. Use Xcode or PlistPro Edit. Either app will do; Xcode is free, but PlistPro Edit is worth the money IMO for those of use that have to patch our config.plist files. However, Xcode works fine.

A belated welcome to the Forum from one bird to another! :thumbup:

Almost forgot, I'm running a Gigabyte GTX 1060 in Gene for a while as I was going to use it in a Z270 build, and the 1060 is just great! I recommend it over Gene's GTX 950. I'm now going to skip the Kaby Lake system and wait for the Cannon Lake / 300 series motherboard later this Fall.

Stork, many thanks, and for the GTX information. I have the Gene, and an i5-7600K. The price for the Kaby Lake CPU was much the same as for the Skylake. I did think about the Maximus IX Hero (seems to be no close Gene equivalent) but figured that was a bridge too far for me at this stage. The remaining parts I've to buy are the data SSD, graphics card if I want one, PSU, case and display.

Stork, many thanks, and for the GTX information. I have the Gene, and an i5-7600K. The price for the Kaby Lake CPU was much the same as for the Skylake. I did think about the Maximus IX Hero (seems to be no close Gene equivalent) but figured that was a bridge too far for me at this stage. The remaining parts I've to buy are the data SSD, graphics card if I want one, PSU, case and display.
Stork, about a graphics card: I'm not a gamer, so I had been planning to use the integrated Intel graphics. But that's another source of issues. So, I'm thinking of a Gigabyte GTX 1050. I know that's very much a budget card. With the Pascal drivers, does that mean no kexts or downloaded Nvidia drivers are required?

Stork, about a graphics card: I'm not a gamer, so I had been planning to use the integrated Intel graphics. But that's another source of issues. So, I'm thinking of a Gigabyte GTX 1050. I know that's very much a budget card. With the Pascal drivers, does that mean no kexts or downloaded Nvidia drivers are required?

Pascal drivers are only available as part of the downloaded Nvidia web drivers. macOS does not have built-in support for Pascal. Each time there is a macOS update, you will have to manually update the Nvidia web drivers too.

Pascal drivers are only available as part of the downloaded Nvidia web drivers. macOS does not have built-in support for Pascal. Each time there is a macOS update, you will have to manually update the Nvidia web drivers too.
Thanks, Pastrchef. I think I'll be going with the GTX 1050.

WedgeTail, I think your choice of a GTX 1050 is a good choice. I've been using a GTX 1060 in my Gene build in anticipation of using it in another build, and it works great. However, the recently released Nvidia drivers that support the Pascal cards are still immature, but I anticipate the drivers reaching maturity over the next couple of months. I just wanted to give you a "heads-up".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back