Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I got my Maximus Gene up and running today. However, I'm having a problem with video... They system boots in to Clover fine and proceeds to boot OS X fine. On the screen with the Apple logo and the loading progress bar under it, everything seems fine. But once it's done booting, the screen goes black and I never get to see the desktop.

Edit: Nevermind. I got it sorted out. ;)

Now it's time to test out the new build a little...
Hi @pastrychef , I'm experiencing the exact problem you described. I click to boot with USB, the debug outputs scroll down, and suddenly the screen turns black, and my computer restarts. Can you shed some light on how you've managed to fix this?

Hi @pastrychef , I'm experiencing the exact problem you described. I click to boot with USB, the debug outputs scroll down, and suddenly the screen turns black, and my computer restarts. Can you shed some light on how you've managed to fix this?

The problem was that I used the iMac17,1 system definition. I switched to iMac14,2 system definition and problem was fixed. If you want to use the iMac17,1 system definition, it's possible with the use of the "black screen fix".

Since we're not telepathic, we need to know your system components. See the tonymacx86 Forum Rules & Policies on signature block components.

Additionally, please provide complete details in your Profile.

Mobo: motherboard manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model (e.g., i7-4770K)
Graphics: Video card manufacturer/model and/or Intel Integrated Graphics version (e.g., HD4600)

See my Profile items to the left of my post, under my name.

By completing your Profile and signature block, you help us help you better. :thumbup:

Since we're not telepathic, we need to know your system components. See the tonymacx86 Forum Rules & Policies on signature block components.

Additionally, please provide complete details in your Profile.

Mobo: motherboard manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model (e.g., i7-4770K)
Graphics: Video card manufacturer/model and/or Intel Integrated Graphics version (e.g., HD4600)

See my Profile items to the left of my post, under my name.

By completing your Profile and signature block, you help us help you better. :thumbup:

@Stork Thanks for the reply! I just filled in my profile build signature.

I'm using:
- Asus VIII Hero Alpha motherboard
- Intel i7 6700K CPU
- XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Graphics Card
- Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB

I'm trying to install Sierra 10.12.1. As this is my first Hackintosh build and custom PC build, there's surely a lot to learn :D
I was able to boot from the USB, but as soon as I get to the macOS installation screen and go into Disk Utility, my NVME SSD does not show up. That's when I tried applying the Rehabman kext following your previous post. I tried using my El Capitan Macbook Pro to run the patch command, but after trying both 10_11_5 or 10_11_6 as arguments, they both failed with the error message that MD5 do not match (my macbook was on 10.11.6). I tried the process again on my other Macbook Pro which is on Sierra 10.12.0, and was able to run the patch command successfully. When I copied my patched kext file to my EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 folder and tried booting, however, I started experiencing the force restart soon after I select "Boot Mac from USB" in the Clover bootloader.

I wasn't sure what to do, and tried the following:
- Inserting the Kexts patches within config.plist manually
- Install drivers for NvmExpressDxe
- Boot with arg nvme=0x3

But I still get the force shut-down followed by system reboot. Attaching a screenshot of the error message.
View media item 187881
After that, I tried applying Mork vom Ork's solution described here , using the kext patches and kext file provided. That actually allowed me to get all the way into the installer, but my SSD is sadly still not found.

A huge shoutout to you guys for putting up all this great information up here, btw. There were a few things I was really confused about, and I feel like things should probably start making a lot of sense if I just studied a bit more. Could you lend some help answering some of these questions, or point me to some reading? :/
  1. RehabMan made a note about installing 10.12 Sierra in his readme, about how I should not use HackrNVMeFamily for the 10.12 installer, but I didn't quite understand it. What do I need to do differently for sierra?
  2. What does RehabMan's patch command actually do, and how does that relate to me adding the "kexts to patch" list in config.plist? Do I only have to do one or the other?
  3. Do I need to apply the patch command with the same version of Sierra as what I'm intending to install? I updated my macbook pro to 10.12.1 and tried patching the kext again, but ended up getting the following warning again. Does that matter, or can I still use the unmatched kext?
    Code:
    WARNING: Vanilla MD5 (46932bdf9fa5aa48803369fa87c5050a) does not match expected MD5 (78d587a16e5736b563a175fbf8707372)
    WARNING: Patched MD5 (314f150f01867103769ddcd60203d966) does not match expected MD5 (291b7e63764598ac8052c8a363964cb8)
  4. Lastly, I'm already using the Samsung 950 Pro SSD to boot windows, so it's working perfectly as far as the motherboard connection/setup is concerned. I created a partition on the drive with "unallocated space". Just to clarify, is it possible for me to install macOS into that partition without wiping the whole drive?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Gokeji, you'll need to create the patched kext on 10.12.1, not 10.12.0. As RehabMan has mentioned several times in this long thread, OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released (see that last couple of pages), you need to create the patched kext with the Sierra version you intend to install.

I solve this problem as explained in this post in the above mentioned thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...e-drives-released.181387/page-67#post-1374205

@Stork Thanks, that looks promising. I won't be able to work on this for the coming week, but I'll let you know as soon as I can!

One other thing I was wondering when browsing the forums, is that people often refer to copying a kext to S/L/E. Would it be correct to assume that this is only pertinent to Post-installation work, or is there also a way to apply this to the installation USB?

@Stork...
One other thing I was wondering when browsing the forums, is that people often refer to copying a kext to S/L/E. Would it be correct to assume that this is only pertinent to Post-installation work, or is there also a way to apply this to the installation USB?
Only to Post Install. KextBeast is a utility that properly puts the kext(s) on your desktop into either /S/L/E or /L/E/ folders by copy the kext(s) and properly changing the kext(s) permissions and rebuilding cache. You'll need to reboot after running KextBeast for the kext(s) to be active.

@Stork Thanks for the info. I was eventually able to patch my kext successfully using Rehabman's new patch file for NVMe_patches_10_12_1_16B2555, but that created the same kernel panic soon after I boot from the USB.

I kind of gave up, and went ahead and purchased another Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SSD, hoping that would be easier, but surprisingly, when I got to the OSX installation screen, my 850 EVO also did not show up in the list of hard drives (It does show up in Windows)

That got me thinking, I probably have some other configuration that is severely messed up. Is there a driver that I need to install, or a boot flag I need to set, to be able to see my hard drives? The only one visible in the installation screen is the USB drive.

Does the Samsung EVO show up in the BIOS (Boot)? If so, start the installation as before, but, after you pick your language and at the screen where you pick your disk for installation, go to the Utilities menu at the top of the screen, select Disk Utilities and format your drive per the tonymacx86 Sierra installation guide instructions. :thumbup:

Does the Samsung EVO show up in the BIOS (Boot)? If so, start the installation as before, but, after you pick your language and at the screen where you pick your disk for installation, go to the Utilities menu at the top of the screen, select Disk Utilities and format your drive per the tonymacx86 Sierra installation guide instructions. :thumbup:

Hi Stork, I wish I could :(

The EVO 850 does show up in BIOS, and I'm even able to boot from it if I choose, but after booting from the Sierra installation USB, the system doesn't seem to detect either the EVO 850 or my 950 Pro, at the Sierra Installation screen. The only drive I see in Disk Utilities is my USB drive. What are some of the glaring mistakes I might've made such that no other drives are detected? :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_9197.JPG
    IMG_9197.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back