Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it! I'll use that patch in my UniBeast USB installation USB thumb drive's config.plist. Thanks for clarifying. :thumbup:

Successfully, installed Sierra over El Capitan on Gene with a M.2 NVMe installation drive. Here's the short story. (I'll update Post #1 soon.) Note: The OP (Post #1) has been updated for Sierra installation procedures.

:ch: Update all your apps so you are current with El Capitan.
:ch: Backup your El Capitan installation disk. I use Carbon Copy Cloner.
:ch: Create the UniBeast installation thumb drive. This assumes you've downloaded Sierra installation app and UniBeast & MultiBeast for Sierra.
:ch: Copy MultiBeast for Sierra to the thumb drive along with other useful apps such as needed.
:ch: (Optional) To install on a M.2 NVMe SSD, you'll need Pike R Alpha's config.plist patch(es) as discussed in the previous couple of posts. (I'm not going to repeat them here for brevity's sake.) Copy Pike's patch into the installation thumb drive's config.plist. Then copy the patch to a text file and put it on the installation thumb drive to use later.
:ch: Boot into the BIOS and set the installation thumb drive to be the boot drive.
:ch: At the Clover Boot Screen, select the thumb drive and install away!
:ch: (Optional) If you're using the Nvidia web drivers, you should get an update notice after the installation is complete. Update and reboot.
:ch: Now, once you're back at the Sierra Desktop, run MultiBeast. Don't reboot, yet.
:ch: (Optional) For M.2 NVMe SSD users, mount the Sierra EFI partition, open up the config.plist file and apply Pike's NVMe patch as you did above to the installation thumb drive's config.plist.
:ch: (Optional) For Nvidia web drivers users, open up the config.plist file and apply tonymacx86's Nivida patch below and remove Boot/Arguments/nvda_drv=1 if necessary.
Code:
    <key>SystemParameters</key>
    <dict>
        <key>InjectKexts</key>
        <string>YES</string>
        <key>InjectSystemID</key>
        <true/>
        <key>NvidiaWeb</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
:ch: Now, reboot. You're done! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Any reason why my computer will read a bunch of thumb drives but one specific external hd will not be read...? On any other mac it works. Thanks.

Any reason why my computer will read a bunch of thumb drives but one specific external hd will not be read...? On any other mac it works. Thanks.
Nope, nothing comes to mind. I don't use USB drives as most of my external drives are Firewire or I use an NAS. I recommend you post your problem in the Sierra Desktop Support forum section in order to get more ideas on it.

stork: out of curiosity, does the plugin hardware sensors for fakesmc works fine? i mean are all the sensors present(cpu/gpu/fans)? and can you manage fan speed?
thnx

Successfully, installed Sierra over El Capitan on Gene with a M.2 NVMe installation drive. Here's the short story. (I'll update Post #1 soon.) Note: The OP (Post #1) has been updated for Sierra installation procedures.

:ch: Update all your apps so you are current with El Capitan.
:ch: Backup your El Capitan installation disk. I use Carbon Copy Cloner.
:ch: Create the UniBeast installation thumb drive. This assumes you've downloaded Sierra installation app and UniBeast & MultiBeast for Sierra.
:ch: Copy MultiBeast for Sierra to the thumb drive along with other useful apps such as needed.
:ch: (Optional) To install on a M.2 NVMe SSD, you'll need Pike R Alpha's config.plist patch(es) as discussed in the previous couple of posts. (I'm not going to repeat them here for brevity's sake.) Copy Pike's patch into the installation thumb drive's config.plist. Then copy the patch to a text file and put it on the installation thumb drive to use later.
:ch: Boot into the BIOS and set the installation thumb drive to be the boot drive.
:ch: At the Clover Boot Screen, select the thumb drive and install away!
:ch: (Optional) If you're using the Nvidia web drivers, you should get an update notice after the installation is complete. Update and reboot.
:ch: Now, once you're back at the Sierra Desktop, run MultiBeast. Don't reboot, yet.
:ch: (Optional) For M.2 NVMe SSD users, mount the Sierra EFI partition, open up the config.plist file and apply Pike's NVMe patch as you did above to the installation thumb drive's config.plist.
:ch: (Optional) For Nvidia web drivers users, open up the config.plist file and apply tonymacx86's Nivida patch below and remove Boot/Arguments/nvda_drv=1 if necessary.
Code:
    <key>SystemParameters</key>
    <dict>
        <key>InjectKexts</key>
        <string>YES</string>
        <key>InjectSystemID</key>
        <true/>
        <key>NvidiaWeb</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
:ch: Now, reboot. You're done! :thumbup:

If i use this method to update, will all my files still be in the same place that they were in El Capitan?

If i use this method to update, will all my files still be in the same place that they were in El Capitan?
Yes.

USA version is here > https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-GENE/HelpDesk_Download/

For some strange reason, the 1901 BIOS won't let me download the new 2202 over the Internet option in the ASUS BIOS update BIOS option. Thus, I had to do it the good olde fashion way. Bah!
I just updated my motherboard to the 2202 version and now my El Capitan won't even boot. The logo and loading bar come up but it doesn't progress at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back