Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a similar build with a H100i GTx watercooler

disconnect the pump usb from the mainboard (choose max pump transfer with windows software before)
disconnect the Y pump cable from fan

connect the pump 3 pin header to the pump header on the mainboard
connect fans to CPUFAN and CPUFAN2 on the mainboard
connect additional fans to the mainboard fan connectors

choose the fan speeds in the Bios or use Fan Expert (Windows)

install OS X like the first post :)
install IntelMausiEthernet for working onboard ethernet
thats it

my Specs:

Corsair Carbite Air 240
Corsair H100i GTX with 2 additional Front-Fans for Push & Pull
i7 6700K
eVga GTX 980Ti Superclocked
32GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz
SSD SATA3 Drive

Luckydevil, Your build looks good. I was only going to comment on the processor cooler's compatibility with the Skylake socket, but GreekConsult confirmed it works. So, your system components will be compatible for a hackintosh running El Capitan (10.11).

Be advised, I can't get my Consair memory to run at 2666, I have to back it down to 2600 in the BIOS 1402.

Hi Stork,

I too want to thank you for your awesome guide.
Due to professional reasons, I found myself without my reliable hack, as I moved from Spain to Malaysia, so time for a new one, and yours was the perfect begging, as feels like an updated version of my 4 years old computer...

• Asus Maximus IV Gene Z --> Asus Maximus VIII Gene
• Intel I5 2500k --> Intel I5 6600k
• Asus EAH6870 DirectCU --> Asus GTX950 Strix DirectCU
• 8GB DDR3 --> 16GB DDR4
• SSD 80GB --> SSD 250GB
• Fractal Design Define Mini --> Fractal Design Node 840

So far, so good, and I can confirm that the Asus GTX950 Strix also works like a charm (after NVidia web drivers), and able to use it through installation, only using nv_disable=1 during install.

Nonetheless I’m still struggling with a couple problems, one is that I have no audio yet, no devices detected, but probably I’ll have to check that Kext is in place, as I suspect that is not, as I don’t have Ethernet neither, anyway, already used your fixes in the config.plist, so probably I’ll dig into that tonight after work. The other problem that is driving me nuts is about not being able of correctly dual boot with a windows 8.1.
I’ve used Gparted to create a GPT partition table, and then after used disk utility during OSX installation to create HFS+ partition for OSX, and a FAT32 partition for Windows, OSX created the needed EFI partition correctly, but after that, windows installer complains about HD being MBR, thus making me install windows in old MBR style.. therefore can’t boot it through Clover, only using F8, I gain access to windows… Is there anything I’m missing? I really at a lost with GPT, as this is the first time I need to use such kind of partition table, and I would really like to be able to boot both SO from clover, as I used to triple boot my old computer through Chimera.

Any one has any idea or suggestion?
Thanks,
Xds.

I think I found my problem, that is that El Capitan DiskUtility formats the drive as HybridGPT, and is not able to format is as Full GPT, for that I might need to use Yosemite installer up to the point of having HD correctly formated, then install again El Capitan and Windows... anyway, if anyone knows a better/faster or less aggresive method to convert HybridGPT to FullGPT.. I'm all ears.

Regards,
Xds

Hi Stork,

I too want to thank you for your awesome guide.
Due to professional reasons, I found myself without my reliable hack, as I moved from Spain to Malaysia, so time for a new one, and yours was the perfect begging, as feels like an updated version of my 4 years old computer...

• Asus Maximus IV Gene Z --> Asus Maximus VIII Gene
• Intel I5 2500k --> Intel I5 6600k
• Asus EAH6870 DirectCU --> Asus GTX950 Strix DirectCU
• 8GB DDR3 --> 16GB DDR4
• SSD 80GB --> SSD 250GB
• Fractal Design Define Mini --> Fractal Design Node 840

So far, so good, and I can confirm that the Asus GTX950 Strix also works like a charm (after NVidia web drivers), and able to use it through installation, only using nv_disable=1 during install.

Nonetheless I’m still struggling with a couple problems, one is that I have no audio yet, no devices detected, but probably I’ll have to check that Kext is in place, as I suspect that is not, as I don’t have Ethernet neither, anyway, already used your fixes in the config.plist, so probably I’ll dig into that tonight after work.
If you used MultiBeast for El Capitain, the kext should be in the right place. Go into the Sound System Preference (System Preference > Sound), click on the Output "tab" and select Internal Speakers. Then, click on the Sound Effects tab and check off all three check boxes. You should be good to go.:thumbup:

The other problem that is driving me nuts is about not being able of correctly dual boot with a windows 8.1.
I’ve used Gparted to create a GPT partition table, and then after used disk utility during OS X installation to create HFS+ partition for OS X, and a FAT32 partition for Windows, OSX created the needed EFI partition correctly, but after that, windows installer complains about HD being MBR, thus making me install windows in old MBR style.. therefore can’t boot it through Clover, only using F8, I gain access to windows… Is there anything I’m missing? I really at a lost with GPT, as this is the first time I need to use such kind of partition table, and I would really like to be able to boot both SO from clover, as I used to triple boot my old computer through Chimera.
I don't use Windows. So, I need to refer you to Going Bald's MultiBoot Guide(s) in http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/ forum section.

I'm finally able to boot from the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD. Here's the AJA benchmark:

174422-samsung-950-m-2-nvme-boot-drive.png

As a comparison, here's the AJA benchmark for the Samsung EVO El Capitan SSD:

174423-samsung-850-evo.png

I'll add my install process in the OP soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's how I installed and made the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD bootable.

On another Hackintosh or Macintosh do the following:

:ch: Download the NVMeGeneric.kext and the GenericUSBXHCI & NVMeGeneric kexts ;
:ch: Add the following kexts to the UniBeast USB installer thumb drive:
:ch: Insert the UniBeast USB installer thumb drive to a working USB 2 Back Panel Port;
:ch: Open the Terminal and run the following:
Code:
diskutil list
:ch: Note the UniBeast USB drive's EFI partition's "diskXs1" designation - could be something like "disk1s1";
:ch: Use EFI Mounter Version 3 to mount the UniBeast USB drive's EFI partition;
:ch: Navigate to EFI > EFI > CLOVER > kexts > 10.11 folder;
:ch: Drag & drop the GenericUSBXHCI.kext, NVMeGeneric.kext and USBInjectAll.kext into the 10.11 folder;
:ch: Close the EFI finder window and Eject the EFI drive in the Desktop window.​
:ch: Boot into the BIOS and select the UniBeast USB drive as the boot drive:
Boot > Boot Option Priorities > Boot Option #1 > set your UniBeast USB thumb drive to be the boot drive for Apple's two part installation process
:ch: Exit > Save Changes​

Now, follow the installation procedure in the OP, but,
:ch: After running MultiBeast, you'll need to copy the above kexts into your installation M.2 drive's EFI partition's CLOVER > kexts > 10.11 folder using the same procedure as we did for the UniBeast USB drive;
:ch: (Optionally) Install the appropriate nVidia web driver .pkg for your version of El Capitan and reboot;
:ch: Boot into the BIOS
:ch: Change the Boot > Boot Option Priorities > Boot Option #1 to the El Capitan installation on the M.2 drive - mine was just UEFI OS - Don't pick the "N1 Samsung 950" drive;
Note: If you don't see the UEFI OS as a boot drive choice, leave the Boot #1 defined to your UniBeast USB drive. Save and exit the BIOS. Boot the M.2 drive. Then, reboot back into the BIOS where you should see a boot device called UEFI OS. Choose it.​
:ch: Exit > Save Changes;​

At the Clover boot screen, select your M.2 El Capitan Boot drive. :thumbup:

Here's how I installed and made the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD bootable.

Can you report that you have been able to boot from NVMe device more than once?

For me it only booted once and after shutdown it didn't boot no more.

Can you report that you have been able to boot from NVMe device more than once?

For me it only booted once and after shutdown it didn't boot no more.
Yes, I've been able to boot more than once. At least once each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back