Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Stork,

I don't have any audio with ALC1220 but if I return to ALC1150 everything works fine, should I try something different? or ALC 1150 is also ok for High Sierra. Thanks in advance

Unless I'm mistaken, ALC1150 is the Realtek chip used for Asus Maximus Viii series. ALC1220 is for the newer motherboards. I guess the ALC1120 mentioned was an error (see also post 1 of this thread where Stork's shows the Multibeast parameters used for Sierra installation and specifies ALC1150 )
Yes, it should be ALC1150. I've corrected that error in the previous post. Thanks for catching my mistake. :thumbup:

Hi Stork,

I have just updated my el Capitan Hackintosh to High Sierra, by both following Tonymac's original instructions, and this thread, as my motherboard is an Asus Maximus viii Ranger. Most things are working ok now.

I chose the upgrade route using Unibeast & Multibeast, rather than re-formatting and installing a new copy (in fact I forgot to re-format my disk during the install process, so the installer went naturally the upgrade route). I also let the installation updating my drive to apfs.

Maybe it is just an impression, but it seems to me, after the upgrade, that there are occasional micro-lags , I would call that 'stutterings' , for example , changing tabs in Chrome browser, or in some mouse movements. ( my config is in my signature ).

I was wondering whether it would have been better to re-format and install a new copy instead of upgrading , would that bring better 'performance' ? ( re-installing all my existing programs and restoring data is not an issue).

Thanks for sharing you thoughts on this.

HacKDo, the stuttering is a know problem with latest Nividia drivers and Chrome. I remember reading you have to turn off something in Chrome, but, since I don't use Chrome, I can't remember what you have to turn off.

HacKDo, the stuttering is a know problem with latest Nividia drivers and Chrome. I remember reading you have to turn off something in Chrome, but, since I don't use Chrome, I can't remember what you have to turn off.
I believe it is hardware acceleration. I have never had the problem though with my 1050 so haven't done this.

Thanks for the tip. I googled and found out one interesting thread about this. The parameter to be enabled is GPU rasterization ( Go to Ghrome://flags.) Indeed enabling it and restarting Chrome and for the time being I am noticing much less, almost none , of these stutterings, as far as Chrome is concerned.

And for general performance and/or general system 'health' , would you recommend a complete reformatting and reinstallation of OSX ?

No, not necessarily. See the Graphics forum and the Nvidia driver sticky thread for the 10.13.4 Nvidia driver. There's a script that reloads an older driver which supposedly limits the graphics problems. But, I'm not experiencing any problems with my GTX 950. :thumbup:

Swapped out the GTX 950 for a GTX 1060 which now works great w/o wake-up from sleep glitching or other problems. This with the new Nvidia driver .30.106. :thumbup: Hopefully, Nvidia can now stay on top of the driver problems.

Applied the 10.13.4 Security update. The Nvidia driver System Preference Pane nagged me about updating to the newest driver which I did. While awaiting for the driver to be updated, I noticed that the Security Update applied new audio and I lost audio. So, I didn't click on the driver's Reboot button. I ran MultiBeast just reappliing the ALC1150 audio:
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC1150
Build
Install​

Before rebooting, I applied the following command in the Terminal for good measure:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extension​

and then I clicked on the driver installer's Reboot button. Now, Everything works as it should. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Updated the BIOS to the latest version which was released 3801 as of April 26, 2018 although the 3801 internal date is March 14, 2018.

Finally got around to updating my build description (Post#1). I just replaced the GTX 1060 I was using to test the newest Nvidia driver (...30.107) to see if they fixed the wake-up from sleep glitchiness. (Yes, they did.)

Gene now has a Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition graphics card that I bought last month from Nividia's online store for ~$550 USD (plus shipping and tax). :clap: I couldn't resist the price since the current prices at Amazon and Newegg are/were at the time $735+ USD. Graphics are handled sooo much quicker, and the GTX 1080 FE hands two monitors, one of which is a Dell 4K monitor, without showing any pain.

Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back