Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a new problem. Attempting to sleep causes the computer to enter a sleep/wake cycle, and shutting down causes the computer to restart.

Attempting sleep:
1. Typical sleep procedure occurs, grey pinwheel, computer appears to sleep as usual.
2. 5 seconds later, primary screen turns on (black only), mouse/usb peripherals turn on, fan/drives spin up
3. after about 10 seconds, computer sleeps again
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 forever.​

I am able to interrupt this cycle with normal keyboard/mouse activity it seems.

Attempting shut down:
1. Typical shutdown procedure occurs, grey pinwheel, computer appears to shutdown as usual.
2. 5 seconds later, computer restarts.​

Any suggestions on how to begin troubleshooting this? I'm happy to provide any files or information that may help. Thank you as always!
Unfortunately, I don't know where to start to find a solution. Maybe pastrychef knows the solution.

I found a new problem. Attempting to sleep causes the computer to enter a sleep/wake cycle, and shutting down causes the computer to restart.

Attempting sleep:
1. Typical sleep procedure occurs, grey pinwheel, computer appears to sleep as usual.
2. 5 seconds later, primary screen turns on (black only), mouse/usb peripherals turn on, fan/drives spin up
3. after about 10 seconds, computer sleeps again
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 forever.​

I am able to interrupt this cycle with normal keyboard/mouse activity it seems.

Attempting shut down:
1. Typical shutdown procedure occurs, grey pinwheel, computer appears to shutdown as usual.
2. 5 seconds later, computer restarts.​

Any suggestions on how to begin troubleshooting this? I'm happy to provide any files or information that may help. Thank you as always!

Are you overclocking? Have you applied proper power management? Have you applied proper USB fix?

I would start by returning to stock clocks if you are overclocked. Then check IORegistryExplorer to make sure X86PlatformPlugin is loading.

Hi @Stork so lately I was getting random freezes when I moved the mouse but not with the Wacom tablet. This seemed like a new phenomenon after a BIOS update a few months ago.

These freezes occured with the photoshop suite suite rendering while chrome was open lets say playing a video or something while I wait to render on the second monitor.

I finally stumbled upon this thread again and disabled "USB Mouse/Keyboard simulation" in the latest ASUS bios and it may be what helps!

Will report back if this fixes the freeze issue.

Will definitely not update BIOS ever again on a working system. I was surprised I get these freezes out of nowhere during work!

Genius thread btw, thank you

Last edited:
Update for anyone who has freezes under macOS.

Reverted back to BIOS 3007 from December 2016 and all the freezes went away!

XHCI Hand Off is back and all is well.

Off topic but anyone know of good OC settings for the 6700k?

I had it running @4.6Ghz with v1.285 and I've gotten some freezes under macOS.

Update: It may be CUDA related indeed (not 100% certain yet). However, since there's no CUDA, OpenCL is useless in Premiere (it's just a black window). Have to use Software Only which is slowwwwwwww.

Will report back if maybe I can reinstall CUDA and remove one of the GPUs and if that may fix the issue.

But overall High Sierra feels slower than Sierra. Hopefully .3 and .4 will bring it up to speed and HS will be like El Capitan.

Hello- I'm starting from scratch... Any reason why, when booting from my UniBeast thumb drive, the progress bar would hang at about 90%, and then I get a beachball for the mouse even though I'm still on the black apple boot up screen? The thumb drive is in the bottom USB port under the ps2 port. Any help appreciated. Thank you. (I also tried booting with nv_disable=1 with no difference).

Hello- I'm starting from scratch... Any reason why, when booting from my UniBeast thumb drive, the progress bar would hang at about 90%, and then I get a beachball for the mouse even though I'm still on the black apple boot up screen? The thumb drive is in the bottom USB port under the ps2 port. Any help appreciated. Thank you. (I also tried booting with nv_disable=1 with no difference).
I had no trouble installing Sierra (10.12), but I have yet to upgrade MyGene to High Sierra (10.13). However, that being said, since it looked like you followed my procedure in Post #1, you should have not had any problems. Let's see if pastrychef can lend any help to your problem.

One, thought, when you made your UniBeast USB Installation thumb drive, you didn't check any "Inject..." buttons, did you? If so, remake the installer USB w/o checking any of the graphics Injection options.

If you didn't choose any graphics injection, then try another USB Back Panel port.

I had trouble with a UniBeast created USB High Sierra 10.13.2 installer too. It would not complete the boot. I took the quick and dirty way out by copying my working EFI folder to the USB flash drive's EFI partition.

I finally got it to work, thanks!

Just wondering... After installing High Sierra, do I need to run the terminal command for trim or no? Thanks.

I finally got it to work, thanks!

Just wondering... After installing High Sierra, do I need to run the terminal command for trim or no? Thanks.

You can check to see if Trim is still enabled or not in System Information.
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 10.34.37 PM.png

If it's not, you can enable it with Terminal or enable it using Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back