Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Stork- when I shut down from macOS, the computer shuts down but then starts back up on its own and goes to Clover. When I shut down from the Clover boot menu, it stays off. Any ideas? Thanks as always.

Hi Stork- when I shut down from macOS, the computer shuts down but then starts back up on its own and goes to Clover. When I shut down from the Clover boot menu, it stays off. Any ideas? Thanks as always.
There is a Clover parameter for the config.plist, but I haven't had to use it. Make sure your BIOS is setup correctly. Clover Configurator has the parameter; it's called something like FixShutDown (IIRC, but I've never had to use it).

There is a Clover parameter for the config.plist, but I haven't had to use it. Make sure your BIOS is setup correctly. Clover Configurator has the parameter; it's called something like FixShutDown (IIRC, but I've never had to use it).

Thanks Stork! 2 more questions I hope you can answer:

1. I'm still on Sierra, and for some reason audio stopped working. There's no output device. Any advice on getting this back on is appreciated.

2. Now that we're on 10.13.2, any reason to still avoid APFS? THANK YOU!

Thanks Stork! 2 more questions I hope you can answer:

1. I'm still on Sierra, and for some reason audio stopped working. There's no output device. Any advice on getting this back on is appreciated.
You can run MultiBeast for Sierra just selecting:
:ch: Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC1150
:ch: Drivers > Audio > 100/200 Series Audio​

Or try toleda's script > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/high-sierra-desktop-realtek-applehda-audio.226433/

Make sure your Sound Preference Pane has Output set to Internal Speakers.

2. Now that we're on 10.13.2, any reason to still avoid APFS?
I traditionally wait for the .3 updates on my Macs and hacks for my production systems. However, I've been testing HS, and, so far, I have not had any problems. But, I recommend that, unless you have a driving requirement to upgrade, stick with 10.12.6. :thumbup:

The audio did not work with Muiltibeast or the script (screen shot attached). Any other ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.47.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.47.29 PM.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.47.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.47.54 PM.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 88
I am getting a "no" sign after running MultiBeast and rebooting, with "Still waiting for root device"

I've done this build successfully before with Sierra. I formatted my m.2 drive for a fresh install of High Sierra with APFS, went through all the steps in the guide (except for non-applicable ones such as Rehabman's NVMe patcher script and copying SSDT.aml to the High Sierra install drive's EFI patition).

Here is my MultiBeast build, installed before the fateful reboot.
jYgwNdt.jpg

I reboot the machine, and am greeted with the Apple logo and a progress bar loading. It gets about halfway across and then I get the "no" sign. Here is that screen in verbose mode:
EIx2F4q.jpg

And then shortly after that, I get the message "Still waiting for root device"
mukCIwl.jpg

I've tried reformatting, carefully keeping track of all the steps, but I'm not sure what to do next.
Disk is APFS formatted; Disk Utility from USB boot only shows APFS options - no HFS formats available.
Any suggestions on what I can try? Please let me know what information I can provide that might help. Thank you!

I am getting a "no" sign after running MultiBeast and rebooting, with "Still waiting for root device"

I've done this build successfully before with Sierra. I formatted my m.2 drive for a fresh install of High Sierra with APFS, went through all the steps in the guide (except for non-applicable ones such as Rehabman's NVMe patcher script and copying SSDT.aml to the High Sierra install drive's EFI patition).

I've tried reformatting, carefully keeping track of all the steps, but I'm not sure what to do next.
Disk is APFS formatted; Disk Utility from USB boot only shows APFS options - no HFS formats available.
Any suggestions on what I can try? Please let me know what information I can provide that might help. Thank you!
If you've reformatted, make sure you don't have the SSDT-nvme.aml (or whatever it's called) in your config.plist (and Rehabman's script created kext). These are not required for High Sierra. Do you have another driver (backup) with Sierra using RehabMan's kext and SSDT? If so, see his github site for HS instructions with a Sierra installation on a drive in your system.
GitHub - RehabMan/patch-nvme: A set of scripts and plists for patching IONVMeFamily.kext for non-Apple NVMe SSDs (based on the work of PikeRAlpha)

If you've reformatted, make sure you don't have the SSDT-nvme.aml (or whatever it's called) in your config.plist (and Rehabman's script created kext). These are not required for High Sierra. Do you have another driver (backup) with Sierra using RehabMan's kext and SSDT? If so, see his github site for HS instructions with a Sierra installation on a drive in your system.
GitHub - RehabMan/patch-nvme: A set of scripts and plists for patching IONVMeFamily.kext for non-Apple NVMe SSDs (based on the work of PikeRAlpha)

Stork, you are a wizard. I've got it running with your advice, and here's exactly what I did:

MOUNT THE HIGH SIERRA DISK'S EFI PARTITION IN WINDOWS 10

On the same PC but different drive, boot into Windows 10 and enable explorer.exe administrator rights:
  1. Download ExecTI
  2. Laugh ExecTI and enter "regedit.exe -m" as the open string
  3. Navigate to
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{CDCBCFCA-3CDC-436f-A4E2-0E02075250C2}
  4. Rename RunAs to anything else (ex. "RunAs_me") or delete it
  5. Restart Windows
Mount the EFI partition
  1. Press Win + R to open run window
  2. Type "cmd"
  3. Right click on result and run as administrator
  4. In command prompt window, type "diskpart"
  5. Type "list disk"
  6. Select the disk that has the EFI partition you want to mount using "select disk x" (ex. "select disk 0")
  7. Type "list partition"
  8. Type "select partition x" replacing "x" with the EFI's partition number. It should be 200 MB.
  9. Type "assign letter=b" or other unused drive letter.
  10. Type "exit"
  11. Open explorer and navigate to c:\windows
  12. Right click on explorer.exe and select "run as administrator"
  13. Select the now mounted EFI partition in the navigation bar on the left to view your High Sierra disk's EFI partition and read/edit files.
DELETE EXISTING FILES IN "EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched"
  1. Navigate to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  2. In my case, I had 3 files in this directory. SSDT.aml, SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml, and an invisible file ._SDDT.aml. I am not sure why these are here, I'm assuming multibeast is incorrectly placing these here, though they might be copied over by some other means.
  3. (Optional) backup all files in the directory to somewhere safe on your windows disk
  4. Delete all 3 files in the EFI's "patched" directory.
  5. Reboot into your High Sierra disk.
I am now in High Sierra APFS on my m.2 drive. FYI, my config.plist was clean - no strings referencing anything you mentioned. Thanks again!

I found a new problem. Attempting to sleep causes the computer to enter a sleep/wake cycle, and shutting down causes the computer to restart.

Attempting sleep:
1. Typical sleep procedure occurs, grey pinwheel, computer appears to sleep as usual.
2. 5 seconds later, primary screen turns on (black only), mouse/usb peripherals turn on, fan/drives spin up
3. after about 10 seconds, computer sleeps again
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 forever.​

I am able to interrupt this cycle with normal keyboard/mouse activity it seems.

Attempting shut down:
1. Typical shutdown procedure occurs, grey pinwheel, computer appears to shutdown as usual.
2. 5 seconds later, computer restarts.​

Any suggestions on how to begin troubleshooting this? I'm happy to provide any files or information that may help. Thank you as always!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back