Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to disable "Wake on USB" on Gene?

I'm also unaware of such an option.

From what I read at one of the tech sites was that all MB manufacturers April updates included the hyper thread fix. Just asking and I don't know.
http://wccftech.com/intel-hyperthre...sors-was-addressed-by-bios-fix-in-april-2017/
Thanks, Iwagsz! For you GENE motherboard owners with Skylake and Kaby Lake Hyper Threading processors (typically, the i7 series), you should update your BIOS to the latest version, according to the article linked above.

Unfortunately, for us GENE users (and most probably all ASUS 100/200 series motherboards owners) with the 2202 BIOS version, you will lose the "remembered" NVRAM. So, you will have to either use slim.jim's Problem 6 solution or run MultiBeast v9.1+, just selecting the following and reboot into the BIOS to update your BIOS.

Bootloaders > Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM​

Note: Clover maybe a updated in MultiBeast v9.1+.

My understanding of the Hyper Threading bug is that it's pretty obscure and triggering it is rarer still. I mean, it has gone approximately 1.5 years before it was discovered... Personally, I'm not ready to sacrifice native NVRAM to fix it.

In my opinion, the biggest benefit of native NVRAM support is the ability for macOS to log data in the event of kernel panics. I think this is more important especially in a hackintosh than patching a bug that we may never trigger.

Last edited:
pastrychef, yeah, but... Since I don't have a HyperThreading processor, it's a moot point with me. However, those with an affected processor should update their BIOS. In my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry. The possibility of lose of data is always a threat to be avoided. (It can't hurt, and, besides, Clover has the cure to the lost of NVRAM with the later BIOS versions.)

Here BreBo explains how using EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi+RC scripts will not provide crash reports in the event of a kernel panic. Crash reports are only available for those who have native NVRAM.

In the comments section of this article and this article some readers explain how obscure this bug is and how unlikely most people will ever encounter it.

I guess users will just have to chose whether to upgrade BIOS to patch this bug and lose NVRAM support or not. If I had to bet, I would say Apple will not issue a firmware update to address this bug on their Z170 systems.

Found an article at Tom's Hardware where Intel responded to that article with the following:
We have already identified this issue and addressed it with a fix that started rolling out in April 2017. As always, we recommend checking to make sure your BIOS is up to date, but the chance of encountering this issue is low, as it requires a complex number of concurrent micro-architectural conditions to reproduce.
Reference:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hyperthreading-kaby-lake-skylake-skylake-x,34876.html

Guys, I need to build a new hack (with same H/W specs I have on my ASUS Z170M-Plus), and would try the Maximus VIII GENE.

I was wondering if this motherboard has same nasty bios issues as mine (I did tested 2 mobo so far, with same results):
if I do a system update (sometimes updating clover partition) or a system crash occur, the BIOS (2 times out of 3) enters in a boot loop state (power on and than auto power off), and the only way to fix it is to reset the CMOS, and re-enter all the settings.

Does the GENE have same nasty behavior?

This damned "bug" is annoying. I had to put 2 wires and a button because I can't open the case every month to trigger the reset CMOS switch....

Guys, I need to build a new hack (with same H/W specs I have on my ASUS Z170M-Plus), and would try the Maximus VIII GENE.

I was wondering if this motherboard has same nasty bios issues as mine (I did tested 2 mobo so far, with same results):
if I do a system update (sometimes updating clover partition) or a system crash occur, the BIOS (2 times out of 3) enters in a boot loop state (power on and than auto power off), and the only way to fix it is to reset the CMOS, and re-enter all the settings.

Does the GENE have same nasty behavior?

This damned "bug" is annoying. I had to put 2 wires and a button because I can't open the case every month to trigger the reset CMOS switch....

What you are describing doesn't sound normal at all, and I've never seen this behavior on my Gene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back