Contribute
Register

Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 & GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
On what rational do I decide what System Definition to use?
I chose iMac14,2 because Hector was close to the that iMac model with a graphics chip (14,1 just uses Intel HD graphics), and Hector is using a graphics card.

I noticed that your Profile and Signature have an X58A motherboard. On that system, the MultiBeast default SysDef of MacPro3,1 is more appropriate.

I chose iMac14,2 because Hector was close to the that iMac model with a graphics chip (14,1 just uses Intel HD graphics), and Hector is using a graphics card.

I noticed that your Profile and Signature have an X58A motherboard. On that system, the MultiBeast default SysDef of MacPro3,1 is more appropriate.

Yep 14,2 is good on the new hackintosh I am working (and writing on) too, GA-Z97-D3H Rev 1.0 Firmware F9, i7 4970T. I did test 15,1 and my screen went black - luckily got apple remote display setup.

Thanks for all the support and infos!

Yep 14,2 is good on the new hackintosh I am working (and writing on) too, GA-Z97-D3H Rev 1.0 Firmware F9, i7 4970T. I did test 15,1 and my screen went black - luckily got apple remote display setup.

Thanks for all the support and infos!
Oh, yeah...I forgot to tell you not use 15,1 or 17,1. I'm glad to hear your settled on 14,2. That and MacPro3,1 work great for me. :thumbup:

Heya Stork,

I've already built 2 Hacks from this guide, so many thanks!

For one of them, I've crammed a i7 4790 into a tiny Realan EQ6 case that doesn't have enough height for a big enough cooler for the CPU. It's not running too terribly hot (no crashes) but just in case, I'm wanting to change to a lower wattage CPU - in this case the i5 4690S

My question is: Can I just swap the CPU without changing any other BIOS or Multibeast configuration settings? It appears that I can, but I just want to make sure before I go and break it all. :)

Thanks!

A

Heya Stork,

I've already built 2 Hacks from this guide, so many thanks!

For one of them, I've crammed a i7 4790 into a tiny Realan EQ6 case that doesn't have enough height for a big enough cooler for the CPU. It's not running too terribly hot (no crashes) but just in case, I'm wanting to change to a lower wattage CPU - in this case the i5 4690S

My question is: Can I just swap the CPU without changing any other BIOS or Multibeast configuration settings? It appears that I can, but I just want to make sure before I go and break it all. :)

Thanks!

A
Yes, you should be able to swap out the CPU without any problems. However, after you swap the CPUs and boot, I would boot without caches. You can do this at the Clover boot screen. Just hit the keyboard's Spacebar and choose the "don't use caches" (or something like that).

Thanks! I did the swap and started it up without the caches. Everything works great, *except* my wifi no longer works. This isn't crucial, since I've got this machine on an ethernet network, but I would like to slay the gremlin for the sake of better understanding the underpinnings of it all.

I've got theBCM94360CD, and both wifi and BT had been working great. Now BT still works fine, but the wifi in the menu bar has a grey X in it, and when I click on it, the pulldown says "WIFI: No Hardware Installed"

When I go to system prefs/network and click on the wifi option, it says it's off, and I am able to click the "Turn wifi on" button, but nothing happens.

I've checked all the antenna connections (I'm using all 4 on the broadcom card, each connecting to an external antenna)

Is there anything that swapping between i7 and i5 CPU's could be the cause of the gremlin, or did I just get unlucky in that my card chose an odd time to (partially) croak?

thx!

I'd reseat the WiFi/BT and adapter card since you replaced the processor and cooler. If you didn't take it out when changed out the processor, it might have been bumped a couple of times enough to unseat its connection.

WOW thank you so much for this guide Stork!

Due to tonymacx86, you, macman and others a complete noob like me can make a hackintosh.
(To be fair this was my 2nd attempt after a 2 year break from hackintosh, so the clover thingy was new for me.)
My system is quite similar to yours, only my gpu is a gtx760.
I just made my hackintosh work, and when I checked tonymacx86.com I saw the new Unibeast update... so I did it with the 6.1.1 (if only I planned this a few minutes later, then I could test and give the results of 6.2....*sigh*)
But I have a few questions... I skipped the part modifying the EFI/Clover/config.plist until the "KextsToPatch" part. I did find a nVidia driver (not the one you had, but one suitable for 10.11.4) and installed that.
What does that part do? And did I really screwed things up by skipping that?
And in my BIOS I saw my memory running 1600MHz but in "about this mac" it shows 1333MHz, you know why?

I haven't tested everything, but the things I need work: HDMI (on GPU), sound, USB's, and ethernet connection.:rolleyes: Frankly, I am easy to please and already happy with the result hahaha.

The thing that doesn't work (yet) is dual boot with Windows10, I do see 2x NFTS 'partitions'/'startup disks' in clover but none of them boot into windows, just a black screen with blinking underscore... (you can tell I am a noob now, sorry) I also cannot select the windows ssd in BIOS boot option priorities, however by pressing "F12" during boot up I CAN select the windows ssd and boot up Windows normal. Is there an 'easy' way to get clover to select the Windows so that it starts up?

Thanks again!
Robert

ps. Benchmark and system pics
Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 01.01.46.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 00.36.19.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back