Contribute
Register

Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 & GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Stork,
First, thanks for the bluetooth help way back when.
So I have this exact system running 10.13.5, and I recently added a Nvidia 1080ti. I did a fresh install of everything including the BIOS. I followed the steps exact except for:

Peripherals > Initial Display Output > IGFX <--- make sure on-board graphics is enabled ( I have this set to PCIe 1 Slot because of the video card)

And installed the latest Nvidia Web Driver 387.10.10.35.106

But for some reason, Wake will not work after about 30min of the computer being asleep. I have searched the boards and found that installing CsmVideoDxe-64 will do the trick, but it didn’t help. When I try to wake it, I can hear everything start running except for the gpu fans. Eventually, the computer just crashes, and reboots itself. Below are some things I have in Clover that I think might be causing the issue.
Boot> darkwake=10

Graphics > Nothing checked at all

Clover build 4586= no MacOS Boot, had to custom install AptioMemoryFix-64

Attached is my Config. Let me know if there is any other information that you need to help with this.

Attachments

• config copy.plist
    8.7 KB · Views: 276
Hi Stork,
I copied your build here a few years ago and once I got it up and running (with your help!) it's been one of the best computers I've owned.

I'm thinking about upgrading from an i3 to an i5 processor if I can find one and also upgrading the 750ti to a 1050ti.

From what I understand in the windows world those would be essentially plug and chug hardware upgrades with no software updates needed. If I did this, do I need to be prepared to update anything with clover on my OS X side of the set up?
Thanks!

Hi Stork,
I copied your build here a few years ago and once I got it up and running (with your help!) it's been one of the best computers I've owned.

I'm thinking about upgrading from an i3 to an i5 processor if I can find one and also upgrading the 750ti to a 1050ti.

From what I understand in the windows world those would be essentially plug and chug hardware upgrades with no software updates needed. If I did this, do I need to be prepared to update anything with clover on my OS X side of the set up?
Thanks!
Your upgrade should also be "plug & play" for your processor and graphic card.

Your upgrade should also be "plug & play" for your processor and graphic card.

Awesome, thank you! That's what I was thinking, but I'm sure if I didn't try to research then I'd get up a creek quickly.

Thanks

Hi Stork,
First, thanks for the bluetooth help way back when.
So I have this exact system running 10.13.5, and I recently added a Nvidia 1080ti. I did a fresh install of everything including the BIOS. I followed the steps exact except for:

Peripherals > Initial Display Output > IGFX <--- make sure on-board graphics is enabled ( I have this set to PCIe 1 Slot because of the video card)

And installed the latest Nvidia Web Driver 387.10.10.35.106
Thank you for pointing this out to me. I've corrected the BIOS section in Post #1 and in the Update section.

But for some reason, Wake will not work after about 30min of the computer being asleep. I have searched the boards and found that installing CsmVideoDxe-64 will do the trick, but it didn’t help. When I try to wake it, I can hear everything start running except for the gpu fans. Eventually, the computer just crashes, and reboots itself. Below are some things I have in Clover that I think might be causing the issue.
Boot> darkwake=10

Graphics > Nothing checked at all

Clover build 4586= no MacOS Boot, had to custom install AptioMemoryFix-64

Attached is my Config. Let me know if there is any other information that you need to help with this.
Try Rehabman's CodecCommander kext >
:ch: Un-zip the file and drag & drop the CodecCommand.kext from the Release folder to the Desktop.
:ch: Run KextBeast and chose to put the kext (make sure there are no other kexts on your Desktop) in the /Library/Extensions folder.
:ch: Reboot.​
Hopefully, this will cure the problem.

Hi Stork,
I have two follow up questions if you don't mind. I was double checking the drivers available for the pascal cards and it looks to me like I'll need or want to be on high sierra before getting the new card.

Where I'm running into a mental block is that I'm still on Yosemite. I am running clover, but I believe my chameleon/chimera info is still on the drive as I still have the 'extras' folder on my start up disk. I looked at the kexts in /system/library/extensions, and I have the kexts that were installed by MultiBeast. Does Clover not use the kexts in S/L/E? I'm not quite understanding why I should delete them because it seems like I'd need to run MultiBeast again immediately after deleting them.

My second question, after I do or don't remove the /extra and the mentioned kexts. Should I just update straight from Yosemite to High Sierra through the app store? Will I need to do a fresh install? If I do update through the app store, do I need to make a new bootable USB? I haven't found a solid thread that I'm completely understanding yet so I appreciate any advice you have to give!

Thank you,
David

@kcdobe,

Did you follow the How To Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover guide when you switched to the Clover boot loader? If not, take a look at the guide as it should answer your question on the /extra folder, etc.

I always create a new UniBeast Installation USB Thumb drive. Because if "fruitcake" happens, you'll need to boot with the thumb drive.

You can install High Sierra either way - on top of your Yosemite build or a fresh install on another drive. If you do a fresh install, the installation will ask you if you want to migration your apps and accounts from the other drive; don't check "Other Files" (IIRC that's the name). Either way you'll need to run MultiBeast. However, given you're jumping from Yosemite, I recommend a fresh install then migrate your apps and accounts.

Good Luck!

@kcdobe,

Did you follow the How To Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover guide when you switched to the Clover boot loader? If not, take a look at the guide as it should answer your question on the /extra folder, etc.

I always create a new UniBeast Installation USB Thumb drive. Because if "fruitcake" happens, you'll need to boot with the thumb drive.

You can install High Sierra either way - on top of your Yosemite build or a fresh install on another drive. If you do a fresh install, the installation will ask you if you want to migration your apps and accounts from the other drive; don't check "Other Files" (IIRC that's the name). Either way you'll need to run MultiBeast. However, given you're jumping from Yosemite, I recommend a fresh install then migrate your apps and accounts.

Good Luck!

Hi Stork,
Thank you for your quick reply. I do believe that's the guide I followed. My memory is a little fuzzy because it was about 2.5 years ago but I went back and re-read all my notes and previous posts.

I think that I'm understanding that the system will ignore the /extra so it doesn't necessarily need to be deleted and that the kexts in S/L/E will be referenced by the OS so no need to delete those either.

Thanks!

@kcdobe, to be on the safe side, remove the /extra fold. You can move it to a hackintosh folder or folder of your liking. Just get rid of it.

Second, MultiBeast will replace/update the existing /Library/Extensions/ folder. If you, personally, have put kexts in /S/L/E/, remove them. Starting with Sierra, Apple uses the /Library/Extensions/ folder for 3rd party kexts in order to keep /S/L/E/ pristine.

So, follow the guides. (I still recommend, for your case, to do a Fresh Install and the installer's migrations assistant.)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back