Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 & GTX 750 Ti

Discussion in 'Golden Builds' started by Stork, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Gigabyte GTX 950 2GB OC WindForce 2X
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jul 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM #1
    Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Stork's Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 & GTX 750 Ti

[​IMG]
    Components

Gigabyte H97N-WIFI mini-ITX, dual LAN, 1-DVI & 2-HDMI Motherboard - Amazon || Newegg

[​IMG]

Intel i5-4690 Processor with HD4600 Intel Integrated Graphics - Amazon || Newegg

Arctic Freezer 7 Pro v2 CPU Cooler - Amazon || Newegg

Samsung 840 EVO 256GB SSD - Amazon || Newegg

Broadcom BCM94360CD BCM4360CD 802.11ac mini PCI-E WiFi WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 Card for Apple - Amazon

Generic Mini Pci-e Adapter for Bcm94360cd Bcm94331cd - Amazon

Added Later

Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti GV-N75TWF2OC-2GI - Replaced by Gigabyte GV-N75TOC-2GI
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IGQ4UX8/r
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125558

Already Owned

Edimax Wireless AC1200 Dual Band USB 3.0 Adapter (EW-7822UAC) - Amazon || Newegg
    Used temporarily until the iMac WiFi/BT 4.0 LE card and adapter arrived.

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Kit (BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0) - Amazon || Newegg

BitFenix Prodigy mini-ITX Black Case - Amazon || Newegg

Corsair CS550M 550 Watt (Partially) Modular, PLUS GOLD Power Supply - Amazon || Newegg

IOGEAR 4-Port Dual View Dual-Link DVI KVMP Switch with Audio GCS1644 - Amazon || Newegg

The following are connected to the IOGear KVM DVI Switch:
    Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Widescreen Monitor - Max Resolution 2560 x 1440 - Amazon

HP ZR24W 24" IPS Monitor with DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort and Sub-D Connectors and USB Hub (out of production; replaced by the HP ZR2440W Monitor) - Amazon

GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle - Amazon

Logitech Unifying Wireless Receiver which comes with the Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac​

Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac - Silver (920-003472) - Amazon

Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard - Amazon || Newegg

Apple Bluetooth Magic Mouse - Amazon || Newegg

Apple Bluetooth TrackPad - Amazon || Newegg

Comments

Contents

Background & General Information
    This is my entry level, general purpose computer for my household use, including low (computer) stress games. Obviously, as you can see in my signature block, I have some middle of the line builds that more than adequate for most people's needs. But, I started to get curious about the capabilities of last year's crop of smaller mini-ITX size motherboards, such as the Gigabyte H/Z87N-WIFI motherboards although I have a GA-H67N-USB3 / i3-2125 / HD3000 system. So, since I'm not a gamer - GarageBand is the most "rigorous" application that I use - I decided to build the H97N-WIFI based system with getting back into some adventure games like Myst & Rivan.

Why a wireless equipped motherboard? Well, even though the Intel wireless is not compatible with OS X, and the Bluetooth (BT) is compatible, I planned to update the WiFi/BT card with a OS X compatible one as soon as the opportunity presented itself (see below). My systems are connected to dual monitors through a IOGear KVM switch. The Logitech Unified receiver for my Logitech K750 Mac Solar keyboard and the GMYLE BT 4.0 USB dongles are connected to one of the monitors USB hub which is connect to the KVM switch and shared with the computers when switched to that computer. So, I don't need the BT in a combo, but I do need wireless, and I'll like to have the wireless device to be 801.11ac compatible (AC1200+). Consequently, I have removed the Gigabyte miniPCIe wireless/BT card, and I temporarily used the an Edimax Wireless AC1200 Dual Band USB 3.0 Adapter (EW-7822UAC) which requires drivers from Eimax's website.

I have since replaced the Gigabyte H97N-WIFI motherboards WiFi/BT card with an Apple iMac Wifi/BT 4 card and a miniPCIe adapter which interfaces correctly with the Gigabyte H97N's motherboard WiFi/BT miniPCIe card slot. Both were purchased from Amazon as described in tonymacx86's guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...apple-mini-cards-pcie-mini-pcie-adapters.html. I'm now transmitting 1300Mbps with the iMac Wifi/BT 4 card and adapter card when connected to my AC1750 wireless router. See Post #37 for more detailed information. My Bluetooth keyboard and Mighty Mouse will allow me to enter the BIOS, and I can use either the arrow keys or the mouse to move through the BIOS screens. BTW, the before mentioned Edimax wireless USB 3 dongle worked great providing a 857Mbps throughput; it's a good alternative at ~$30 USD.

The Haswell Refreshed Intel Core i5-4690 provides HD 4600 graphics capability to the motherboard's one DVI connector and two HDMI connectors. (I have tested three monitors running, and, while it does support three monitors, I would only recommend running three monitors with an i5 or i7.) This processor has done well with everything I've thrown at it including GarageBand on one monitor and iMessages (sound turned off) on the other monitor. Web surfing is easily displayed quickly with YouTube videos running as if I was on a more powerful system. The Haswell Refreshed i5-4590 is a winner in my book.

The Crucial Ballistic Tactical memory is an overkill for this system, but I had picked up the 16GB set last fall when it was on sale in anticipation of using it in another Thunderbolt build (maybe later). The Buyer's Guide's Crucial Ballistic Budget 16GB memory set is more appropriate for this set-up.

Even though the Logitech K750 Mac Solar (rechargeable) is a wireless keyboard with a numeric key pad, the keyboard is recognized by the BIOS so I don't need a USB wired keyboard to enter into the BIOS and navigate around. Great keyboard with a good feel to it...and I'm a touch typist, too. :thumbup:

The rest of the components including the case are not new, and you've read about them before. The BitFenix Prodigy case is fat > about 10 inches wide. Although the Prodigy is good looking, the motherboard sits horizontal in the case, instead of the usual vertical orientation in other cases. This results in a wider case (10 inches vs. other cases 7-8 inches) which takes up too much desk space. So, although it sits on a shelf next to the desk, it still gets compliments from those guests wanting to see my horde of computers.

Installation of OS X

I have tested Sierra 10.12.0. Although it works fine, I'll await the .3 update before updating Hector as it's doing some production tasks, and I'd rather wait for Sierra to get the bugs worked out. For those who want to install Sierra, it installs just like my El Capitan Guide with the exception of using tonymacx86's UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC and UniBeast for Sierra and MultiBeast for Sierra, instead - my El Capitan installation settings are the same.

I have written separate, detailed, step-by-step installation guides for both Yosemite and Mavericks which you can copy & paste into a document for printing to check off each step as you accomplish the step so as not to miss a step: :thumbup:
    El Capitan: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...d4600-gtx-750-ti-using-clover-el-capitan.html
    Yosemite: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...600-chimera-multibeast-method.html#post925481
    Mavericks: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ifi-using-hd4600-no-graphics-card-needed.html

What does work that I've tested so far:
    • iMessage - Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan.
    • iFaceTime - Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan.
    • Sleep/wake-up with Mavericks Yosemite and El Capitan.

What doesn't work that I've tested so far:
    • Audio after waking up from sleep. But, rather than try previous audio kexts, I use shilohh's LoadHDA AppleScript.
    • iTunes trailers playing causes system freeze. This is due to the 9-series not being recognized by the iTunes store. Additionally, the DRM iTunes movies and trailers haven't worked on a hackintosh since the Ivy Bridge motherboards. :(

Updates & Notices

April 19, 2016. I remove the abbreviated installation process for Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan since I have detailed, check list installation descriptions for those three versions of OS X. I did this to avoid confusion and to ensure that the installation updates, corrections and/or additions only needed to be in one place.

Update. I added aaands' method to get into the BIOS with the Apple wireless keyboard by pressing the Fn-Eject keys (hold down the Fn key and press the Eject key, located in the Apple wireless's keyboards top row, far right key).

Update. El Capitan information.

Update. I discovered that Wake-on-LAN does not have to be disabled for sleep/wake-up to work.

Update. I've updated this build with a Gigabyte GTX 750 TI graphics card. See my Guide here in the Forum's Graphics section. http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...am-new-gigabyte-750-ti-2gb-graphics-card.html. However, this build description will reflect the build w/o the graphics card while the previously mention link with show how to update this build with a GTX 750 Ti (Maxwell) graphics card.

Update: I've created a SSDT to provide better processor power management for the iMac14,2 System Definition in Mavericks. You can see the procedure here. To check to see if your SSDTs are loading, use the following command in the Terminal:
    Code (Text):
    bdmesg|grep -y aml
    You can also add this to your .profile in your user folder so that, upon opening the Terminal, it shows the results. :thumbup:

VoiletDragon likes this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. lierse

lierse

Mobo:
    GA-H97N-WIFI
    CPU:
    Intel I5-4690
    Graphics:
    HD4600
    Jul 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM #2
    lierse

lierse

Mobo:
    GA-H97N-WIFI
    CPU:
    Intel I5-4690
    Graphics:
    HD4600
    Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 Two Monitors

Hi Stork,
    Yesterday I built my computer with the following specifications:
    -H97N-wifi motherboard
    -Intel I5-4690
    -Intel graphics (HD4600)
    -Ram: Crucial 8GB PC3-12800 kit

I have carefully followed your guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ifi-using-hd4600-no-graphics-card-needed.html) , but I'm stuck at a certain point.

I first made the Unibeast thumb drive and placed the kext utillity, the kext and the graphics patch on it.
    Then I connected the monitor with the HDMI port.

Then I updated the BIOS to the latest version (F4) and followed all the steps (the only thing I could not find was the IGPX, in my settings is only mentioned a IGFX setting)

Then I boot from the thumb drive (with the boot flag maxmem=4096) and the apple logo appeared with the spinning wheel.
    The wheel spins for a minute and then suddenly there is no signal on the monitor. The computer continues to run, but there's just no video signal on the screen :crazy:.
    I've already tried using the DVI port but then just the same happened.

What do you think is the problem?

3. Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jul 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM #3
    Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

Thanks for finding the typo...it should be IGFX. I believe that's your problem. So, set the following BIOS parameters to:
    Without these two BIOS parameters set accordingly, you won't have graphics to the monitor.

4. habergowd

habergowd

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-4690 - 3.5GHz
    Graphics:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jul 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM #4
    habergowd

habergowd

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-4690 - 3.5GHz
    Graphics:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

Weird, my sleep and wake works.
    I use Mac Pro 3,1 sysdef, should I be using iMac 14,2 with an SSDT?

5. Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jul 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM #5
    Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

Not necessarily. iMac14,2 was recommended to me. However, I think I may try the Mac Pro 3,1 or the latest Mac Mini.

As for a SSDT, you might want to see what are your P/C states before trying a SSDT.
    :ch:Download AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext, unzip, put on the Desktop and install it with Kext Utility or KextBeast.
    :ch: Rebootyour computer and,
    :ch: at the Chimera boot screen, tap the keyboard's Spacebar twice to open the boot flag window:
    :ch: enter "UseKernelCache=No" without the quotes.​
    :ch: Upon reaching the Desktop, open up the Terminal program again and type in:
    Code (Text):
    cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"
    You should see all the CPU P & C states. If you have a true spread, not just idle max and turbo speeds, then you won't need an SSDT.

6. habergowd

habergowd

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-4690 - 3.5GHz
    Graphics:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jul 20, 2014 at 9:55 PM #6
    habergowd

habergowd

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-4690 - 3.5GHz
    Graphics:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

You tell me, do I need an SSDT? http://d.pr/i/awGg

7. Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jul 20, 2014 at 10:14 PM #7
    Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

With an SSDT, get a better spread. Here the last line in my AICPUPMI output:
    Code (Text):
    Jul  1 11:22:44 Hector kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ (8) 9 11 12 13 16 17 18 19 20 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) 5 7 ]
    You can also get an idea of how your system is performing by running the Intel Power Gadget. It will tell you if your system is spending a lot of time in the 20's. If so, you might benefit from the SSDT which would allow lower power management frequencies.

8. gts_215i

gts_215i

Mobo:
    Asus Z170 Deluxe
    CPU:
    i7 6700k
    Graphics:
    GTX 970
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook Pro
    Aug 10, 2014 at 3:24 PM #8
    gts_215i

gts_215i

Mobo:
    Asus Z170 Deluxe
    CPU:
    i7 6700k
    Graphics:
    GTX 970
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook Pro

Does iTunes HD content play ?

9. Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Aug 10, 2014 at 3:39 PM #9
    Stork

Stork Admin Staff Member

Mobo:
    CPU:
    i5-6600K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac, PowerBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

No. It's a DRM problem in Apple's OS X that started with the Ivy Bridge builds. However, I only tested the iTunes HD trailers, as I've not be able to make them play if they're DRM protected.

10. gts_215i

gts_215i

Mobo:
    Asus Z170 Deluxe
    CPU:
    i7 6700k
    Graphics:
    GTX 970
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook Pro
    Aug 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM #10
    gts_215i