Contribute
Register

Stork's Batman Build: GA-P55M-UD4 - Core i7-875k - GA 5770 "Batmobile"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rewrote the OP build description for new case and PSU and a fresh installation of Mountain Lion - Batman's got a new suit. :lol: I'd post benchmarks but since this build's components are 2010-2011 vintage, benchmarks would be meaningless by today's Ivy Bridge system.

Batman is still a very useful desktop for general purpose computing, and I can still use Garageband to record my pitiful guitar playing. :lol:

Hi,

I'm also still using the P55M-UD4 mainboard with my core i5 750.

I was using OS X v10.7.4 without much issues. I waited for 10.8.3 and an updated Multibeast (5.3) to accompany it before making the switch to Mountain Lion.

My issue is regarding the ethernet port. I almost always have to reboot after initial boot to get ethernet connectivity (thus, internet). I lose ethernet connectivity after waking from sleep as well, but don't care much about that as I don't use sleep anyway. I tried both the realtek driver and the lnx2mac one but am still having the same issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks heaps!

LOL! I, too, kept several of my computers at 10.7.5 waiting for Mountain Lion to mature. However, I'm now running all my computers at 10.8.3.

I have not experienced your Ethernet problem, so I don't have immediate solution. Did your Ethernet problem begin with your upgrade to 10.8.3? Do you experience the same problem when you boot into another OS? (I'm trying to determine if it's OS specific.)

Is the motherboard out of warranty, yet? If not consider a RMA back to Gigabyte. IIRC, you have a 3 year warranty.

Lastly, if we can't get it work, look at getting a third party Ethernet card like a Sonnet which works OOB with Apple's OS X.

Updated the MultiBeast Configuration screen snapshot in the original post for Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and the use of the Generic USB 3.0 driver in MultiBeast v5.3 onward. USB 3 works with an external drive.

I now have a dual monitor setup with a Dell 27" U2711 as the primary monitor and a HP 24" ZR24W secondary monitor. Unfortunately, the 5770 will only drive the Dell's 2560x1440 resolution with the DisplayPort connector which makes connecting it up to my DVI KVM switch a tad more complicated. :lol:

Mavericks 10.9.0 has come to to Batman's life. See the original post for the installation steps. It was soooooo easy this time verses Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion. The AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card no longer needs GE=Yes - the default GE=No works as the LuxMark v2.1 benchmark shows. See tonymacx86's http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/116220-do-i-need-graphicsenabler-injection-not.html for more information. :thumbup:

Batman is now running El Capitan 10.11.4. I used UniBeast v6.1.1 and MultiBeast v8.1. The following procedures to make a successful running El Capitan installation require the use of the standard tonymacx86 DSDT with a simple modification to the DSDT. I could not get El Capitan to work properly without the use of the modified DSDT. Here's the procedures I used.

:ch: Backup-ed my Mavericks SSD to a HDD partition that I use for backups using Carbon Copy Cloner.
:ch: Created a USB 2.0 Installer thumb drive with UniBeast using the tonymacx86 http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html choosing the Legacy Bootloader mode. I didn't need to select Intel/AMD/Nvidia since my Gigabyte 5770 is natively supported by Apple's OS X drivers.
:ch: Put a copy of MultiBeast, EFI Mounter v3, MaciASL and the P55M-UD4 DSDT.aml (See Downloads menu at the top of this page for the DSDT Database)
:ch: Change the BIOS' default boot disk to the USB Installer thumb drive which was plugged into the USB 2 port in the stack with the PS/2 port
:ch: Advanced BIOS Features > Hard Disk Boot Priority <-- selected the USB Installer
:ch: Advanced BIOS Features > First Boot Device > USB HDD
:ch: F10 to save the changes.​
:ch: At the Clover boot screen, select the USB Installer drive.
:ch: After selecting English and reaching the Installer screen, select Tools > Disk Utility from the menu bar.
:ch: Prepare your installation disk by partitioning, formatting and/or erasing (I chose Erase). When completed, quit Disk Utility.
:ch: Proceed with part one of the installation which will reboot upon completion (now you know why I changed the BIOS boot drive).
:ch: Upon completion part one, chose your installation disk this time at the Clover boot screen.
:ch: Complete the second part of the installation.
:ch: Copy MultiBeast, MaciASL and EFI Mounter v3 to your Application folder and unzip all.
:ch: Before running MultiBeast for El Capitan, open the Security & Privacy Preference Pane in System Preferences (located in your Dock).
114296-system-prefs-yo-hector.png
:ch: In the lower left corner, click on the padlock and type in your Admin username & password
114299-security-sys-pref-hector.png
:ch: Click on the General tab if it isn't already highlighted;
:ch: Click on the "Anywhere" radio button under "Allow applications and downloaded from:" and
:ch: Close the System Preferences window.​
:ch: Run MultiBeast selecting the following:
:ch: Quick Start > Legacy Boot Mode
:ch: Driver > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALCALC885/889a
:ch: Driver > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
:ch: Driver > Disk > 3rd Party eSATA
:ch: Driver > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
:ch: Driver > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
:ch: Driver > Network > Realtek > RealtekRTL8111
:ch: Build <--- To see your full configuration as shown below​
184593-batman-el-capitan-multibeast-build.png
Note: While the MultiBeast Configuration snapshot above may reflect earlier versions of some of the drivers/kexts, the .mb file will automatically be updated by MultiBeast to the current MultiBeast versions.​
:ch:Save <--- Save your MultiBeast configuration file somewhere convenient
:ch:Click on the Install button in the MultiBeast window bottom right hand corner and wait for MultiBeast to finish.​
:ch: After MultiBeast completes, don't reboot.
:ch: Copy DSDT.aml from your USB Installer thumb drive to the Desktop.
:ch: Run MaciASL, select your DSDT.aml. You need to change as show by toleda:
Edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id/0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 (replace: 0x77, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00)
Note: The above is for a P55M-UD2 (0x77). in the UD4 DSDT, we'll see 0x75 instead.​

:ch: Search for HDEF (Cmd-F) and, on the 2nd occurrence, find "layout-id".
Code:
            Device ([B]HDEF[/B])
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Return (Package (0x02)
                    {
                        0x0D, 
                        0x05
                    })
                }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "[B]layout-id[/B]", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00  [B]<--- Need to change this line[/B]
                            },
:ch: Replace the 0x75 with 0x01, and 0x03 with 0x00.
:ch: Save the DSDT.aml​
:ch: Now, you need to put the DSDT in the El Capitan drive's EFI partition in the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ folder
:ch: Open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and opy/paste this command and Return:
Code:
diskutil list
:ch: Note the diskxs1 of your El Capitan drive
:ch: Run EFI Mounter v3, type in your admin password and select the diskxs1 of your El Capitan drive
:ch: Open the EFI drive and navigate to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ folder which should be empty.
:ch: Drag and drop your DSDT.aml into the patched folder.​
:ch: Reboot into the BIOS and change the parameters identified above back to your Installation drive and HDD, respectively.
:ch: F10 to save the changes and leave the BIOS.
:ch: At the Clover boot screen, use the keyboard's arrow key or mouse to select your El Capitan drive.​

To get audio working you'll need to use the Green sound port on the Rear Panel with the System Preference's Sound pane set up as follows:
182236-sound-effects.png

182237-sound-output.png

Welcome to Clover and El Capitan! :thumbup::clap:

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    17.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, got around to updating Batman to 10.11.6 using the Combo Update. The update completed without any problems. I reran the MultiBeast configuration settings to update the kexts and Clover using MultiBeast v8.2.3. Everything is working as it should. :thumbup:

After finding this post, I'd hoped for one more OS upgrade out of my old P55A-UD4P (my first hackintosh). It's booting fine, the sound control panel even updates (adds) the headphone jack if you plug in to it. But no sound. I was double checking the steps, when I noticed, that I didn't have a check in front of "Play feedback when volume is changed." Was that all it needed?

The DSDT edit was 0x79 to 0x01.

Will Sierra install on this?

Stork, you have saved me sooooo mannnny times.

Last edited:
After finding this post, I'd hoped for one more OS upgrade out of my old P55A-UD4P (my first hackintosh). It's booting fine, the sound control panel even updates (adds) the headphone jack if you plug in to it. But no sound. I was double checking the steps, when I noticed, that I didn't have a check in front of "Play feedback when volume is changed." Was that all it needed?

The DSDT edit was 0x79 to 0x01.

Will Sierra install on this?

Stork, you have saved me sooooo mannnny time. Thanks!
Hopefully, the checked box for "Play feedback when volume is changed" is all you need.

I'm not running Sierra, yet. (I am still on 10.11.6.) I'll wait for 10.12.3 to get the bugs out. But, yes, our olde P55's will run Sierra. I'll start by changing the SysDef to iMac14,2 before I install Sierra. Then, use Legacy for both UniBeast and MultiBeast. I'll post more here when 10.12.3 is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back