Contribute
Register

Stork's Batman Build: GA-P55M-UD4 - Core i7-875k - GA 5770 "Batmobile"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stork's 2nd Build - GA-P55M-UD4 - Core i7-875k - Not SB

Update OP for proper sleep/wake-up operation with Lion and MultiBeast v4.1+.

I like this build a lot. Despite the P55 being a little out of date, the mainboard you use (which i have also) has been the most rock solid and stable board I think I have ever owned. Very easy to setup and configure, happily runs both SL and Lion.

As a platform, theres life in it yet i reckon :)

Just read at AnandTech.com that the Sandy Bridge will be viable until 2016. So, I expect this build to last to 2014 before I'll think about replacing it. The system works fine, and I'm really impressed with the performance of the Gigabyte HD 5770 Batmobile graphics card. :thumbup:

Of course, the SSD helps a lot, too.

Talk about coincidence ?

My UD4 has just totally crapped out on me. Ive just searched around 50 or so pages of google and yahoo search results, and there are none for sale anywhere. Ebay, Amazon, all the usual places, and nothing.

Gutted :cry:

Anyone know of any for sale ?

@WonkeyDonkey - Bummer. Are you sure it's the board?

Yep, Im pretty sure its the board.

The onboard power on button illuminates as usual but when i press it, nothing happens. No fans, video output or anything else like that. It leads me to think that something to do with the power regulation/management has blown or gone bad. Maybe a capacitor ??

Ive stripped the system right back to just CPU, memory and a known working video card, still nothing at all.

Ive contacted Gigabyte Tech in U.K who have confirmed it is officially still under warranty but state that a repair may or may not be possible and likewise if a replacement is required.

To make matters worse, I have only recently acquired an 875K chip for it too as I wanted to get it to its maximum performance. That is now sat idle.

Edit : I now have an RMA number so its going to Gigabyte to see what they make of it and hopefully either repair or replace it.

Well good news, Gigabyte's RMA people have contacted me today to tell me they are replacing this board under warranty. Not sure if it will be new or reconditioned, but good news either way :)

Well, may the New Year bring you better luck. :headbang:

I have a new i5-760 and a new P55A-UD3 that I picked up in early 2011 after hearing about the SB chipset fiasco that I never use. Both are now destined for my Mac Pro case mod. :clap:

So, there's lots of life left for the LGA 1156 system components. But, I have to admit that Zorro is faster, but only when I'm looking. :lol:

Well what I have managed to acquire is an i7 875K which i intend to overclock a bit once Im back up and running with it again. My i5-760 chip will then become a backup.

I also found somewhere online that has stocks of the P55M-UD4 as well, believe it or not!

After some checking following my system going south, it turns out what happened was some kind of power surge or spike or something similar. There was no big bang or smell of burning or any of that stuff.

What it did manage to take out was everything bar the CPU and the memory. The mainboard was reported by Gigabyte to be 'burned out' in some way (They haven't given me anything more technical though). It also took out my power supply (Which is a high end one made my Seasonic), my graphics card, and my home-made Airport wireless. Im having to replace it all now.

Luckily I have managed to get the motherboard and PSU both replaced under warranty, I have just about enough spares to put together another wireless, and the identical replacement graphics card is coming from the U.S on eBay.

It just goes to show how we can easily forget about something like power protection and regulation. I never even considered it before as all of my compnent parts were pretty new and my property here is less than 5 years old.

I am making more robust arrangements this time though, which i will elaborate on once i have all my replacement parts here. Its looking good so far though :)

With the stability I have had from this system (Power surge aside) I just cant bring myself to get rid of it. Despite being an older board by todays standards, it really is the most stable i think i have ever used and in terms of Hackintosh compatibility its about the easiest Ive had the pleasure of setting up. I have 4 other mainboards here, 3 of which are much newer, and they dont even come close in terms of getting them up and running with such ease.

I'm still looking for another 875k. I got the current one for well below $200 USD (can't remember exactly), but I've not seen a new one below $300 since I bought the current one.

Wow! A power surge! Did you have a surge protector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back