Contribute
Register

Stork 1st Hackintosh - GA-P55M-UD2 & TonyMacX86Basic System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under my desk on my right side dude...see the pics in my guide. The MoBo looks like a baby board in that big case and the manufacturer calls it Miditower...don't wanna see their big towers :lol:

Put your old beige Mac into it :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: BTW...for your PSU try that dude http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

karacho said:
Under my desk on my right side dude...see the pics in my guide. The MoBo looks like a baby board in that big case and the manufacturer calls it Miditower...don't wanna see their big towers :lol:
I see! I see! :eek:

When the shipping box came, it was so big that I thought someone made a mistake and shipped me a full tower server. Upon unpacking it, I couldn't believe how well made it is and how much room is in the 600T. You statement that the MB gets lost in the case is definitely true. I know it was designed for gamers and their multiple graphics cards, but this is one big, but beautiful, case. Seems a shame to stick it under a desk, though. :)

karacho said:
Put your old beige Mac into it :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: Ahhhh, too bad the Beige Macs are twice as wide as the 600T. :lol: I'll have to post some pictures.

karacho said:
Yeah, I found that PSU calculator, too. However, I decided to have some spare PSU horsepower, which is why I went with the Corsair 750HX. :thumbup: I think this case needs something like a -UD17 MB in it! (I know they don't make a -UD17, but, if Asus or Gigabyte did make a -UD17, it would have every option known to man on it including over designed capacitors, etc., to take my overclocking. :headbang: )

Nice write up Stork.

I have just found the pleasure of Plex and am wondering what you use to convert your movies? What settings look and work best etc...

Thanks,

Shelby

Hi, Shelby! Thanks for your kind words.

I use RipIt to convert my DVDs of old TV shows (McMillan & Wife, Murphy Brown) to .mp4 files using the Handbrake nightly build, which I've found are mature enough to be trusted, unlike some program nightly builds.

For Plex, which I'm running on a 2.26GB Mac Mini in my A/V cabinet, I use the Normal setting which I've found is good enough. I have yet to convert any Blu-ray's to digital format as I only have a couple of Blu-ray movies. So, I can't help you there. (See the Handbrake forum for more info. BTW, Handbrake can rip, but that's not it's intended use. Plan to use other programs to do the ripping.)

For my modified 1st gen Apple TVs (ATV1s), I use dynaflash's recommended settings as posted on his web site on Jul 6, 2010. (He's one of the developers of Handbrake.)
mixed-refs=1:b-adapt=2:b-pyramid=none:trellis=0:weightp=0:vbv-maxrate=5500:vbv-bufsize=5500
The ATV1s have been modified to use an eSATA drive and run XBMC and Boxee using atvusb-creator.

I'm in the process of planning to phasing out my ATV1s as they are no longer supported by Apple, and I don't know how much longer the user community can mod the ATV1's s/w before they'll move on to other projects. So, the ATV1s and Mini HTPC are today's answer to my entrainment needs. However, as I mentioned above, I got in to the Hackintosh game from Cave Man's recommendation. (Cave Man lurks on the Plex and Handbrake forums.) So, my current Hackintosh is eventually going into a HTPC case.

Thanks for your input Stork.

As of now I'm using my old Macbook to run Plex with my TV and streaming from my hack. My hack has been awesome in this regard as adding an internal hard drive is really easy, ripping is fast and no loss on streaming.

For ripping DVD's I've been using Makemkv which seems to be working great except for the file size, which is why I asked about your handbrake settings...

I'll still have to give them a go. I just wish there was a program like Visualhub still around.

Thanks,

Shelby

Hey Stork,

just chipping in to say that your write-up is a great read...so enthusiastic, and funny...thanks for that!
OK, so I'm getting the Corsair 650D case. Ordering all my items in a few...wish me luck... :)

Go for it. See Tony's recent blog posts for latest SB info. blog

Nice setup Stork :)

Thanks, jpa. Works very well with no problems. Just like a real Mac. :headbang:

By sheer luck, my build is exactly the same as yours, minus the video card, mine being a zotac 9800GT.

If I use the multibeast settings you posted after I update to 10.6.7, I should be set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back