Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey hey fellow hacktoshers...
so Im finaly running out of room on my hd and need advice...

first off is http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1TB-64M...NG-/160874238791?rd=1&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

a good deal...? it seems like it.. they are obviously WD drives rebranded.. I just want to make sure they are black WD drives..

IM using ssd boot drive 100gb OSX 20GB win7 then 1hd 300gb win 300gb osx.. my question is how do i incorporate more hd space? should I go for multiple small drives or 1 big drive.. FUSION drive?

Basicly how would u do things? I use windows for gaming so I dont really need that much HD space.. I guess. OSX is where I store my content. is there a way to use the same partition in windows and osx?

Is there a nice guide or post I can follow for a little storage advice? thanks..

IM at a loss..

IM thinking about making the 600gb hd dedicated to windows... and maybe taking it off the 20gb boot ssd partition since i know having osx and win on same drive is not a good idea ... dont even ask me how I got it to even work...

Id like really fast hd performance on the mac for photo video editing etc... should I go for multiple drives in raid , or 600gb 1000rpm drive is only 80 bucks from that same ebay seller.. he also has 150gb velociraptors for 29 bucks.. or just wait for ssd prices to go down?

I use aperature and store a lot of raw photos.

I need to start figuring out how to back things up as well... sigh..

Attachments

• 4eb3c59b6a0836a71c716c2e8c246d72.png
    4eb3c59b6a0836a71c716c2e8c246d72.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 843393b877599806d37aaf33f020e310.png
    843393b877599806d37aaf33f020e310.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 161
Hey hey fellow hacktoshers...
so Im finaly running out of room on my hd and need advice...

first off is http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1TB-64M...NG-/160874238791?rd=1&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

a good deal...? it seems like it.. they are obviously WD drives rebranded.. I just want to make sure they are black WD drives..

Be careful. The seller may be legit, but if you ever need warranty replacement on one of those drives you're dealing with that eBay seller, not with Western Digital or Seagate, and the warranty period they're offering (1 year) is shorter than what you'd expect from a Western Digital or Seagate labeled drive. For about $10 more you can get a new drive from Newegg or Amazon that has a full warranty and full manufacturer support.

IM using ssd boot drive 100gb OSX 20GB win7 then 1hd 300gb win 300gb osx.. my question is how do i incorporate more hd space? should I go for multiple small drives or 1 big drive.. FUSION drive?

How did you manage to squeeze Windows 7 + games into 20GB?

Basicly how would u do things? I use windows for gaming so I dont really need that much HD space.. I guess. OSX is where I store my content. is there a way to use the same partition in windows and osx?

Is there a nice guide or post I can follow for a little storage advice? thanks..

IM at a loss..

It depends on how much you plan to spend. For example, if you can buy a pair of 1TH drives, I'd install OSX on the SSD you have, use one of the 1TB drives for data on the SOX side, and install Windows on the other 1TB.

Oh, that's right, you said you don't need that much space for Windows. You could use your 600GB drive for Windows and buy a single 2TB drive instead for data to share between both OS's. If you don't need to work with files larger than 4GB (the max for FAT32) you can format the drive exFAT.

There are a lot of options, depending on what you are willing/able to spend. But I agree that you shouldn't be booting Mac OSX and Windows from a single 120GB SAD, that's just too cramped.

MAN nobody you brought up a seriously good point... I forget hard drives break haha..

And you are right its not that much off.. but then again it is.. its about 1/2 the price of newegg. The drive in the link is def a black.. not greens or blues.. so theres that..

How is raid in osx?

I tihnk I want SPEED more than SPACE. i like editing on the fly an loading high rez raw photos super fast.. then just burn them to dvd.. BUT maybe a seperate HD for for backups/windows/photos. well photos and backups on same hd is a bad idea i guess.. SIGH this is all very confusing.. too many choices.

and would you use sym links or set up fusion drive..? (IM serously leaning towards fusion drive right now.. boot time is the same as just ssd.. check youtube.)

I hate having to manage folders on multiple drives and stuff. thats windows stuff... fusion seems good.. but on a hack i feel its a bit bleeding edge/ risky

anyway thanks for all the advice guys.. Keep it coming Im completely at a loss..

my budget is like 100 right now but I want something future proof I can add to.

Ive also been thinking about doing NAS or AS .. I am about to source a bunch of laptop HD's I could put into a bad ass raid array and use that for all my DATA storage

then just throw in another ssd for osx and dedicate the 600gb drive to windows.. so like 120gb ssd +120gb ssd (or 240.. it is my birthday after all) I DEF feel like I could live with 300 ish GB of ssd in osx.. throw the ocasional game and other data on the attached storeage box...

seems like this is kind of the route apple is going just super fast limited storage on the workbox then attaching external storeage boxes or nas.

OH are there any good app's for managing data automatically.

IE pulling certain file types or folders and sending others to and from a nas or as?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back