Contribute
Register

Stop the popping in (High) Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the popping back in 10.12.2 (worked fine with this script before)

Tried to reload the script in terminal just to make sure and got "service already loaded"

Any one is experiencing that popping?

Tried to reload the script in terminal just to make sure and got "service already loaded"

It's still working fine for me on two systems running 12.2 Sierra.

I am getting these regular clicks and pops after changing from MacPro3,1 to iMac14,2 (in order to install Sierra).

This fix seems a good work around but what is the root cause of the problem ?
The cause is that OS X powers down the amplifier to save energy. When sound is played it powers back up again, causing the popping sound. This is why sound sometimes stops working after sleep (OS X powers down the amp but doesn't power it back up again). The workaround stops OS X from powering it down when the system is running.

Can you tel me why there is a link in the plist file?

Does it mean it loads that file from the link a every boot?
Does it still work without an internet connection?
The link is a DTD (Document Type Definition). It's part of XML and describes its structure. It won't connect to the internet or require an internet connection (you can use LittleSnitch to verify). Any XML file will have such a line, including valid XHTML. Any plist file in the XML format should also include this if it's been properly written.

I had the same issue today (10.12.2). The script worked fine for a week or so, but then I rebooted and it no longer works. The sound pops when playing a sound after a long enough time with no sound. I ran the launchctl command again but it says "service already loaded".

Any thoughts?

I had the same issue today (10.12.2). The script worked fine for a week or so, but then I rebooted and it no longer works. The sound pops when playing a sound after a long enough time with no sound. I ran the launchctl command again but it says "service already loaded".

Any thoughts?
It's still working fine for me on 2 systems running 10.12.3 Sierra.

However, I have two suggestions:

1. Try issuing this command:

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mattsday.antipop.plist
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mattsday.antipop.plist

This will reload the service. You'll get a pop shortly after but then it should be good.

2. Try changing this line:

<string>while true; do say ' '; sleep 10; done</string>

To this:

<string>while true; do say ' '; sleep 5; done</string>

This will increase the frequency the command is run.

If neither works then I'm out of ideas I'm afraid!

It's still working fine for me on 2 systems running 10.12.3 Sierra.

However, I have two suggestions:

1. Try issuing this command:

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mattsday.antipop.plist
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mattsday.antipop.plist

This will reload the service. You'll get a pop shortly after but then it should be good.

2. Try changing this line:

<string>while true; do say ' '; sleep 10; done</string>

To this:

<string>while true; do say ' '; sleep 5; done</string>

This will increase the frequency the command is run.

If neither works then I'm out of ideas I'm afraid!

Unloading and reloading worked for me! Then I updated to 10.12.3 and it still worked without reloading.

Thanks a lot!

Thank you so much to the OP for this thread, it solved the problem on my side under Sierra 10.12.3 :)
The strange thing is that I never had this problem before until I installed the last Logic Pro X (do not know why to be honest as it should not alter the system audio). I uninstalled my Audio Driver, reinstalled them, removed Logic Pro X and its dependencies, garageband too... Nothing worked, spent about 4 hours on this problem and I found this thread.
Again, thanks !

Does this script running prevent the computer from going to sleep? It seems to me that it might be on mine, but I still need to confirm that is the issue. Is this still the best solution to the problem? I have an 898. Thanks!

I ended up having to delete the file com.mattsday.antipop.plist because weird things have been happening since I put it in place and followed the call to instructions on page one of this thread. I would lose audio and have to reboot in order to get it back periodically.

So this works great, until my computer goes to sleep. Then I have nothing after the wake. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back