Contribute
Register

Stop the popping in (High) Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
By setting the sleep value to zero you are literally calling the say command continuously which I think would have a negative performance impact. It's unlikely to damage your device (but caveat emptor applies here) but I wouldn't recommend it.

The pop is usually the sound of the amp powering up. If your device is powering down after less than a second of inactivity then it's going to be hard to fix with this workaround. Is your USB audio device connected to external speakers or are the speakers integrated? If the latter then this is not the fix for you. If the former, you might need to try a digital connection to your speakers if possible.

Thank you for the reply mattsday!

My audio interface have separate power source and don't have any built in speakers.
I use it for the microphone and the headphones.

I can confirm that the audio from my mobo is working like it should (i think), i don't have any delays and hissing but i can hear one pop every like 20-45min.

I heard that macpro don't have this problems since they don't need any power solutions but i'm a bit scared to change it from imac 14,2.

Last edited:
This is the error i got
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mattsday.antipop.plist: Invalid property list

how can i fix it

soemone please helpe me

Last edited:
Me too. I got "Invalid property list" error. Not working

Hey I did exactly what you said even tried it with 10 seconds. But still no luck, is there anything else I could try. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Thanks Mattsday, your code works wonderfully :thumbup: . I finally got HS operating on my Hack after no end of issues and then I had this pop problem! Almost turned the machine into a Windows-only system, so you know I was going nuts :crazy: ...

this does not work with mojave

Any solution for macOS Mojave?

Can you clarify if this will prevent the system from being able to sleep or just the audio? I only have a little sound crackle at startup. It's about a second long. I'll live with the crackle if it means I won't lose system sleep.

After sleep once, I did have sound as only a crackle, static, distortion. It was an extended sleep. However, I did just fix my USBs with a custom SSDT. I don't know if the two are connected just that incorrect USB stuff messes with sleep, wake, restart, shutdown.

Is this patch for me?

The various sorts of "antipop" are just tricking the OS so it keeps the audio system active. It was meant for real macs (mainly laptops) to stop the popping sound when they go to sleep.
You can also use it — as I do — to prevent ground loops if your computer is plugged into an audio amplifier.
The original antipop (https://www.tomsick.net/projects/antipop.html) support was stopped in 2009 as you can read.
I've been using it for years, with total satisfaction, but checking the link above, I've found there's a variant, lighter on the system.
I put the direct link here, in case tomsick.net would disappear someday: https://github.com/mttrb/antipopd

To our friends moderators: I've put this link in the 2 first treads I've found talking about antipop. I have no interest of any kind in that free software, except to share the silence it gives. :clap:
P.S.: this recalls me of a buddhist koan that say 'what is the sound of a single hand clapping?' :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back