Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey, so I've broken down and decided that trying to force my dell to work isn't really worth it (it's starting to feel like trying to put a square peg in a round hole....even more so than building a hackintosh usually does), I'm passing it to my girlfriend and putting together a computer. I'm going to do an Asus p8p67 pro and a 2500k, I'm not really concerned about overclocking so I'm sure the stock cooler will cool the cpu fine. My question is noise level, how is it, does it stay quiet even if it has to spin up?

mjgunn said:
Hey, so I've broken down and decided that trying to force my dell to work isn't really worth it (it's starting to feel like trying to put a square peg in a round hole....even more so than building a hackintosh usually does), I'm passing it to my girlfriend and putting together a computer. I'm going to do an Asus p8p67 pro and a 2500k, I'm not really concerned about overclocking so I'm sure the stock cooler will cool the cpu fine. My question is noise level, how is it, does it stay quiet even if it has to spin up?

In all honestly, you may as well buy this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =HS-029-CM

It's an excellent cooler - top reviews - and it costs peanuts. It will keep your chip cooler and you know you'll be able to overclock (easily) if you get an impulse down the line, when you see all the next gen 4.2Ghz Ivy Bridge chips released :¬)

mjgunn said:

It's ok at best. It's quiet when you don't load the CPU and your ambient temps are relatively low. I have the 2600K and I used the stock cooler at first (before I got thermal paste to use with my H50) and it was quiet at idle. But, when I started loading the chip it was LOUD :crazy:! I would suggest spending like $20 and getting an aftermarket cooler that is whisper quiet and since you aren't overclocking you shouldn't need anything crazy. Just my 2c :D

(BTW, my ambient was around 25C when I tested this...o ya the chip also runs hot on the stock cooler...so get a new one :p)

Eh figured that was the case but thought maaaaaybe Intel had gotten their act together since the last time I built a machine. I'll probably pick up a scythe mugen 2, heard really good things about it.

If your not overclocking why buy a k processor? Buy the non K and save $30. My stock cooler is super quite but its not over clocked, idles at about 37 (highest core)

Havent noticed the sound on load either. Just check some reviews they will have the sound bench marks.

I would buy another cooler. I know you don't want to overclock bow but later down the road you might as there very good CPU's to do this.

Remember only the p67 boards are the only ones that overclock anyway.

keypox said:
If your not overclocking why buy a k processor?

Because my current system is a stopgap until Z68 motherboards come along... ;)

Waza said:
Remember only the p67 boards are the only ones that overclock anyway.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back