i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hey all,

Really need some help with this if anyone can. Went to boot my machine today (it gets used daily), and it refused to boot into OSX. It wont load into Safe Mode and verbose mode bought up screen shot (attached). If I leave my machine to boot, it eventually just gets stuck on the grey screen with Apple logo with a struck out circle in the middle of it. Not sure where to start with this. I havent changed anything at all as it has been a stable system for a few years now.

Any help would be very welcome as I'm stuck!

Check that a power spike or something has not affected your CMOS settings.
I say this because you appear to have a Serial port enabled and most guides say to disable them.

Check that a power spike or something has not affected your CMOS settings.
I say this because you appear to have a Serial port enabled and most guides say to disable them.

View attachment 390094
I disabled the SuperIO port- still no boot. It again goes to grey screen with Apple logo and circle strike thru

Last edited:
I disabled the SuperIO port- still no boot. It again goes to grey screen with Apple logo and circle strike thru
Check that the rest of your BIOS settings are still correct.

For the profibitory symbol :
If you are booting from USB it is probably a USB configuration problem.
If you are booting from the hard drive it is probably a SATA configuration problem.
If it happens immediately after the Clover boot menu then it is probably a Clover drivers problem.

Check that the rest of your BIOS settings are still correct.

For the profibitory symbol :
If you are booting from USB it is probably a USB configuration problem.
If you are booting from the hard drive it is probably a SATA configuration problem.
If it happens immediately after the Clover boot menu then it is probably a Clover drivers problem.
Thank you so much for your help- this happens immediately after the Chameleon boot menu (I didnt update this as it has been stable). I am not sure where to look to start to find if this is the problem, I need to be able to reinstall the drivers I'm assuming (or update to Clover) but unsure where to begin, if you could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. My OS is on a separate internal SSD- I would rather attempt to fix at this stage rather than do a fresh install.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer!

if you could point me in the right direction
Not much information to go on.

Once again, check that your BIOS settings have not changed from when you originally installed the OS.
Try and boot from your USB installer (you did keep it didn't you ?).
Make a Clover USB and try and boot from that.

Not much information to go on.

Once again, check that your BIOS settings have not changed from when you originally installed the OS.
Try and boot from your USB installer (you did keep it didn't you ?).
Make a Clover USB and try and boot from that.
BIOS Settings are as install
Erm, can't find this (it was 4 years ago)
I am trying to make a Clover USB. I cant access my hackintosh as it's freezing on the Apple Logo screen after Chameleon. Is it possible for me to either a) try and fix the system using just clover on a USB or b) upgrade to El Capitan (not fresh install) so I dont loose any personal data (my files etc) on my OS drive? Sorry if that is a dumb question, just exploring actually what i can do here!

As an amendment, I have double checked my BIOS- The Super IO Chip (IT8728) on Serial Port A is DISABLED but I can see from the screen shot it's still picking up (as you highlighted).

Many thanks again

Last edited:
Is it possible for me to either a) try and fix the system using just clover on a USB or b) upgrade to El Capitan (not fresh install) so I dont loose any personal data (my files etc) on my OS drive?
Hard to say without knowing the cause of your current problem.
As stated previously when booting from SATA it is usually a SATA problem that produces the prohibitory symbol.
If you install "over the top" of your existing installation without formatting the drive then your data should remain intact.

Hard to say without knowing the cause of your current problem.
As stated previously when booting from SATA it is usually a SATA problem that produces the prohibitory symbol.
If you install "over the top" of your existing installation without formatting the drive then your data should remain intact.
Thank you for this- so I should be able to upgrade to El Capitan from Mavericks, fixing the problem along the way, using Unibeast without losing data (theoretically)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back