1. 0
[Fixed] Still waiting for root device error

Hey Guys,

To start off, here are the main components of what I have:

Sabertooth x79 Motherboard
i7 3930k Processor
GTX 670 2gb GPU
Corsair 850W PSU
Corsair Vengence 32 GB RAM (4 x 8GB - and I currently only have one of these sticks in my system)

I am currently in the process of trying to get my Hackintosh working and I seem to have run into a wall. I've followed the steps in getting Unibeast to create a bootable USB drive to the letter and when I tried to boot up - I was originally stuck on the error saying [ PCI Configuration Begin ]. After much searching, I found that I needed to use the flag npci=0x2000 and that did the trick!

Or so I thought. Since then I have been running into this new error that says "Still waiting for root device" and I cant get past it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have tried using "-f UseKernelCache=No" and it has not helped. So does anyone have any advice to help me resolve this issue? I would really appreciate it!! Thank you.

The Fix:

- Changed my USB drive to a different port.
- Used the following BOOT Flags: npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No

Note: - Be sure to check that your SATA drive is not connected to a 6gb/s port.

After doing this, I was successfully able to install ML, but after reboot, I couldnt get into Mountain Lion as it kept getting stuck at various parts. I fixed this by using the following boot flags: cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No (All of these may not be needed but this is what worked for me).

Note: - I read that using cpus=1 flag for the boot loader would help smooth out the rendering if you are seeing UI Lag and have an jumpy/unresponsive mouse.

I was able to get past using the
cpus=1 flag by downloading the VoodooTSCSync.kext and using the KEXT utility to fix permissions on your installation. Just be sure to rebuild your cache and/or use the ignore caches option in Chameleon when booting up (-f flag anyone that wants to know). If you experience any issues booting up with this setup try using the -f flag when you boot - it has been working for me just fine. And I hope this helps out someone else.

Iioahciblockstorageinjector, multibeast, to begin

Could you be more specific please? I dont really follow that.

Also, it might be helpful if I mentioned that I havent installed the OS yet. I am running into this error as I am trying to boot from my Unibeast boot USB.

Could you be more specific please? I dont really follow that.

Also, it might be helpful if I mentioned that I havent installed the OS yet. I am running into this error as I am trying to boot from my Unibeast boot USB.

Can ANYONE help me PLEASE?! Any sort of insight or a point in the right direction - anything would help!

Can ANYONE help me PLEASE?! Any sort of insight or a point in the right direction - anything would help!

Have you tried with bootflag PCIRootUID=0 ?

I´m not sure but with your setup you might also have to use GraphicsEnabler=No !

Have you tried with bootflag PCIRootUID=0 ?

I´m not sure but with your setup you might also have to use GraphicsEnabler=No !

Thank you for your reply. I was actually able to get this resolved with MUCH tinkering. Here are the things that I did:

After doing this, I was successfully able to install ML, but after reboot, I couldnt get into Mountain Lion as it kept getting stuck at various parts. I fixed this by using the following boot flags: cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No(All of these may not be needed but this is what worked for me).

I am going to edit my original post and present this information for anyone else running into these issues. Thanks again for your input!

For anyone new to this thread - I have updated my original forum post with the information for this fix and any extra details.

Hi, Thanks for this thread, I expect I am experiencing similar issues. My setup is

Asrock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 MB
GTX 670 (EVGA)
Intel i7 3930k
Samsung 830 128gb SSD (install)
Gskill 4x8gb 14900

I am trying this install from USB prepped via Windows only - I have no access to a previous OSX install nor a disk drive on my target computer. This is also a triple boot: Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 x64, OSX ML. Trying to load installer:

I got "From path: "uuid", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass..." then "still waiting on root device" repeating over and over. This problem appears to be somewhat random (i.e. restarting over and over, at some point it won't appear). Also I did just have good luck fixing this by removing 3 of 4 sticks of ram, perhaps good to try.

If/when this problem is resolved, it proceeds from "IOProviderClass..." to "USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): ..." to "Got boot device..."

Firstly, I did experience the "intermittent freezing / mouse jumpyness" during install, although I did get it installed. Going through this again, it seems "cpus=1" is critical for fixing this problem.

However, I cannot load ML now, it stops just after "NvClockX" warnings and "USBMSC" warnings. Based on the above sequence it still seems to be having trouble looking for the boot device.

I am curious about the 1x ram only, and the SATA 3gbs only? I am violating both atm, will go try these changes.

Hey Guys,

To start off, here are the main components of what I have:

Sabertooth x79 Motherboard
i7 3930k Processor
GTX 670 2gb GPU
Corsair 850W PSU
Corsair Vengence 32 GB RAM (4 x 8GB - and I currently only have one of these sticks in my system)

I am currently in the process of trying to get my Hackintosh working and I seem to have run into a wall. I've followed the steps in getting Unibeast to create a bootable USB drive to the letter and when I tried to boot up - I was originally stuck on the error saying [ PCI Configuration Begin ]. After much searching, I found that I needed to use the flag npci=0x2000 and that did the trick!

Or so I thought. Since then I have been running into this new error that says "Still waiting for root device" and I cant get past it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have tried using "-f UseKernelCache=No" and it has not helped. So does anyone have any advice to help me resolve this issue? I would really appreciate it!! Thank you.

The Fix:

Note: - Be sure to check that your SATA drive is not connected to a 6gb/s port.

After doing this, I was successfully able to install ML, but after reboot, I couldnt get into Mountain Lion as it kept getting stuck at various parts. I fixed this by using the following boot flags: cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No (All of these may not be needed but this is what worked for me).

Note: - I read that using cpus=1 flag for the boot loader would help smooth out the rendering if you are seeing UI Lag and have an jumpy/unresponsive mouse.

The only downside to this setup that I have discovered is that I cant seem to be able to boot into ML without the cpus=1 flag now. So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix that, I would really appreciate it! And I hope this helps out someone else.
My system really much same like your... It toke me 5 days to find out the way to install

Update bios 2014 .. Boot from usb with -v cpus=1 busratio=32 npci=0x2000 thats all i need and wait until install done... Boot usb again with samme flag but you have to pick the driver that installed ML at boot screen ... And bang i got it done

Hi, Thanks for this thread, I expect I am experiencing similar issues. My setup is

Asrock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 MB
GTX 670 (EVGA)
Intel i7 3930k
Samsung 830 128gb SSD (install)
Gskill 4x8gb 14900

I am trying this install from USB prepped via Windows only - I have no access to a previous OSX install nor a disk drive on my target computer. This is also a triple boot: Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 x64, OSX ML. Trying to load installer:

I got "From path: "uuid", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass..." then "still waiting on root device" repeating over and over. This problem appears to be somewhat random (i.e. restarting over and over, at some point it won't appear). Also I did just have good luck fixing this by removing 3 of 4 sticks of ram, perhaps good to try.

If/when this problem is resolved, it proceeds from "IOProviderClass..." to "USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): ..." to "Got boot device..."

Firstly, I did experience the "intermittent freezing / mouse jumpyness" during install, although I did get it installed. Going through this again, it seems "cpus=1" is critical for fixing this problem.

However, I cannot load ML now, it stops just after "NvClockX" warnings and "USBMSC" warnings. Based on the above sequence it still seems to be having trouble looking for the boot device.

I am curious about the 1x ram only, and the SATA 3gbs only? I am violating both atm, will go try these changes.

I believe that Mac OSX or at least Hackintoshes are not entirely capable of of running SATAs at 6gbs. Maybe if you are triple booting, you could dedicate a hard drive to the Mac OSX and put that on 3gbs SATA port and try that? However, I feel like that could be the major source of your issues at this point.

Also, definitely try to just leave 1 stick of RAM in there at least till everything is setup. Once its done, you can put everything and it should work.

I am also updating my post to show that I found a fix for using the cpus=1 argument to bootup. Maybe that will help you in your setup as well. Please let keep us posted if you need anything else.

i was able to use the usb to install ml on the hdd using cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No :thumbup: (had still waiting for root device before) once installed, restarted and loaded up from usb to boot the ml hdd - i get another error :failed to boot kext com.apple.driver. appleusbuhci, and then the screen turns black o_O, then restarts

Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 1.25.35 PM.jpg

running the specs:

asus sabortooth x79 bios:1104
32 gb Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz ram
intel 3930k
EVGA GTX 460 FTW EE

Thanks for the help guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back