Mobile Phone
[Fixed] Still waiting for root device error

Hey Guys,

To start off, here are the main components of what I have:

Sabertooth x79 Motherboard
i7 3930k Processor
GTX 670 2gb GPU
Corsair 850W PSU
Corsair Vengence 32 GB RAM (4 x 8GB - and I currently only have one of these sticks in my system)

I am currently in the process of trying to get my Hackintosh working and I seem to have run into a wall. I've followed the steps in getting Unibeast to create a bootable USB drive to the letter and when I tried to boot up - I was originally stuck on the error saying [ PCI Configuration Begin ]. After much searching, I found that I needed to use the flag npci=0x2000 and that did the trick!

Or so I thought. Since then I have been running into this new error that says "Still waiting for root device" and I cant get past it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have tried using "-f UseKernelCache=No" and it has not helped. So does anyone have any advice to help me resolve this issue? I would really appreciate it!! Thank you.

The Fix:

- Changed my USB drive to a different port.
- Used the following BOOT Flags: npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No

Note: - Be sure to check that your SATA drive is not connected to a 6gb/s port.

After doing this, I was successfully able to install ML, but after reboot, I couldnt get into Mountain Lion as it kept getting stuck at various parts. I fixed this by using the following boot flags: cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No (All of these may not be needed but this is what worked for me).

Note: - I read that using cpus=1 flag for the boot loader would help smooth out the rendering if you are seeing UI Lag and have an jumpy/unresponsive mouse.

I was able to get past using the
cpus=1 flag by downloading the VoodooTSCSync.kext and using the KEXT utility to fix permissions on your installation. Just be sure to rebuild your cache and/or use the ignore caches option in Chameleon when booting up (-f flag anyone that wants to know). If you experience any issues booting up with this setup try using the -f flag when you boot - it has been working for me just fine. And I hope this helps out someone else.

Motherboard
Mac
CPU
Intel
Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Iioahciblockstorageinjector, multibeast, to begin

Could you be more specific please? I dont really follow that.

Also, it might be helpful if I mentioned that I havent installed the OS yet. I am running into this error as I am trying to boot from my Unibeast boot USB.

Motherboard
Mac
CPU
Intel
Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Could you be more specific please? I dont really follow that.

Also, it might be helpful if I mentioned that I havent installed the OS yet. I am running into this error as I am trying to boot from my Unibeast boot USB.

Can ANYONE help me PLEASE?! Any sort of insight or a point in the right direction - anything would help!

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68P-UD3
CPU
2500K @ 4.5Ghz
Graphics
660 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Can ANYONE help me PLEASE?! Any sort of insight or a point in the right direction - anything would help!

Have you tried with bootflag PCIRootUID=0 ?

I´m not sure but with your setup you might also have to use GraphicsEnabler=No !

Motherboard
Mac
CPU
Intel
Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Have you tried with bootflag PCIRootUID=0 ?

I´m not sure but with your setup you might also have to use GraphicsEnabler=No !

Thank you for your reply. I was actually able to get this resolved with MUCH tinkering. Here are the things that I did:

After doing this, I was successfully able to install ML, but after reboot, I couldnt get into Mountain Lion as it kept getting stuck at various parts. I fixed this by using the following boot flags: cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No(All of these may not be needed but this is what worked for me).

I am going to edit my original post and present this information for anyone else running into these issues. Thanks again for your input!

For anyone new to this thread - I have updated my original forum post with the information for this fix and any extra details.

Motherboard
lion
CPU
Graphics
gtx670
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi, Thanks for this thread, I expect I am experiencing similar issues. My setup is

Asrock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 MB
GTX 670 (EVGA)
Intel i7 3930k
Samsung 830 128gb SSD (install)
Gskill 4x8gb 14900

I am trying this install from USB prepped via Windows only - I have no access to a previous OSX install nor a disk drive on my target computer. This is also a triple boot: Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 x64, OSX ML. Trying to load installer:

I got "From path: "uuid", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass..." then "still waiting on root device" repeating over and over. This problem appears to be somewhat random (i.e. restarting over and over, at some point it won't appear). Also I did just have good luck fixing this by removing 3 of 4 sticks of ram, perhaps good to try.

If/when this problem is resolved, it proceeds from "IOProviderClass..." to "USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): ..." to "Got boot device..."

Firstly, I did experience the "intermittent freezing / mouse jumpyness" during install, although I did get it installed. Going through this again, it seems "cpus=1" is critical for fixing this problem.

However, I cannot load ML now, it stops just after "NvClockX" warnings and "USBMSC" warnings. Based on the above sequence it still seems to be having trouble looking for the boot device.

I am curious about the 1x ram only, and the SATA 3gbs only? I am violating both atm, will go try these changes.

Motherboard
msi b150m gaming pro
CPU
Graphics
hd 530
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys,

To start off, here are the main components of what I have:

Sabertooth x79 Motherboard
i7 3930k Processor
GTX 670 2gb GPU
Corsair 850W PSU
Corsair Vengence 32 GB RAM (4 x 8GB - and I currently only have one of these sticks in my system)

I am currently in the process of trying to get my Hackintosh working and I seem to have run into a wall. I've followed the steps in getting Unibeast to create a bootable USB drive to the letter and when I tried to boot up - I was originally stuck on the error saying [ PCI Configuration Begin ]. After much searching, I found that I needed to use the flag npci=0x2000 and that did the trick!

Or so I thought. Since then I have been running into this new error that says "Still waiting for root device" and I cant get past it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have tried using "-f UseKernelCache=No" and it has not helped. So does anyone have any advice to help me resolve this issue? I would really appreciate it!! Thank you.

The Fix:

Note: - Be sure to check that your SATA drive is not connected to a 6gb/s port.

After doing this, I was successfully able to install ML, but after reboot, I couldnt get into Mountain Lion as it kept getting stuck at various parts. I fixed this by using the following boot flags: cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No (All of these may not be needed but this is what worked for me).

Note: - I read that using cpus=1 flag for the boot loader would help smooth out the rendering if you are seeing UI Lag and have an jumpy/unresponsive mouse.

The only downside to this setup that I have discovered is that I cant seem to be able to boot into ML without the cpus=1 flag now. So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix that, I would really appreciate it! And I hope this helps out someone else.
My system really much same like your... It toke me 5 days to find out the way to install

Update bios 2014 .. Boot from usb with -v cpus=1 busratio=32 npci=0x2000 thats all i need and wait until install done... Boot usb again with samme flag but you have to pick the driver that installed ML at boot screen ... And bang i got it done

Motherboard
Mac
CPU
Intel
Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi, Thanks for this thread, I expect I am experiencing similar issues. My setup is

Asrock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 MB
GTX 670 (EVGA)
Intel i7 3930k
Samsung 830 128gb SSD (install)
Gskill 4x8gb 14900

I am trying this install from USB prepped via Windows only - I have no access to a previous OSX install nor a disk drive on my target computer. This is also a triple boot: Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 x64, OSX ML. Trying to load installer:

I got "From path: "uuid", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass..." then "still waiting on root device" repeating over and over. This problem appears to be somewhat random (i.e. restarting over and over, at some point it won't appear). Also I did just have good luck fixing this by removing 3 of 4 sticks of ram, perhaps good to try.

If/when this problem is resolved, it proceeds from "IOProviderClass..." to "USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): ..." to "Got boot device..."

Firstly, I did experience the "intermittent freezing / mouse jumpyness" during install, although I did get it installed. Going through this again, it seems "cpus=1" is critical for fixing this problem.

However, I cannot load ML now, it stops just after "NvClockX" warnings and "USBMSC" warnings. Based on the above sequence it still seems to be having trouble looking for the boot device.

I am curious about the 1x ram only, and the SATA 3gbs only? I am violating both atm, will go try these changes.

I believe that Mac OSX or at least Hackintoshes are not entirely capable of of running SATAs at 6gbs. Maybe if you are triple booting, you could dedicate a hard drive to the Mac OSX and put that on 3gbs SATA port and try that? However, I feel like that could be the major source of your issues at this point.

Also, definitely try to just leave 1 stick of RAM in there at least till everything is setup. Once its done, you can put everything and it should work.

I am also updating my post to show that I found a fix for using the cpus=1 argument to bootup. Maybe that will help you in your setup as well. Please let keep us posted if you need anything else.

Motherboard
Sabortooth x79
CPU
intel 3930k
Graphics
gtx 460
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
i was able to use the usb to install ml on the hdd using cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No :thumbup: (had still waiting for root device before) once installed, restarted and loaded up from usb to boot the ml hdd - i get another error :failed to boot kext com.apple.driver. appleusbuhci, and then the screen turns black o_O, then restarts

Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 1.25.35 PM.jpg

running the specs:

asus sabortooth x79 bios:1104
32 gb Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz ram
intel 3930k
EVGA GTX 460 FTW EE

Thanks for the help guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.