Contribute
Register

Still Waiting For Root Device - (after Yosemite Installation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z87X-UD5H
CPU
Haswell i7 4770K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX770K (4GB)
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find the same issues.

Here's my setup

2*SSD Samsung Evo 840 250Gb
4*3TB Drives split into two 6TB raid 0 arrays.
Geforce GTX770OC 4GB
Gigabyte z87X-UD5-H
32GB Corsair Ram
Eizo CG277 27" Monitor attached via Display Port (also has USB hub)
Blackmagic MiniMonitor Card
Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Apple USB Keyboard

So, I decided to upgrade to Yosemite but did it using the secondary boot drive.

Cloned my main drive to the backup. Rebooted and checked it still booted to the backup. Success.

Disconnected main SSD to keep it safe.

Followed instructions for Yosemite Upgrade using UniBeast 5.

Installation went fine, no crashes, got through to installing multibeast, only installed Chimera 4.0.1 and kext-dev mode along with ALC898 audio drivers.

Removed USB drive, rebooted and then get the Still Waiting For Root Device error.

My understanding was that this was an installation USB error not something that happens after installation.

Also, if I try to reboot via the USB key I still can't get into Yosemite, same error.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but on the chimera screen, the Yosemite drive doesn't give me the little green dot above the drive which I'm wondering if this is a related issue.

So I'm back to my main SSD drive running 10.9.5 which is about as solid as any other mac I've ever had.

Any suggestions as to boot flags or anything else?

Thanks

Did you install Yosemite over Mavericks as in a upgrade?

I have had issues with that action and now I only do a fresh install of Yosemite.

Then once I have the account setup in Yosemite and post install stuff completed and the new install boots correctly; I then clone the new install and the run the Migration Assistant to move the apps over.

I run Mail and use the "Import Mailboxes" feature.

Then manually copy other files as desired to the new system drive partition.

Note that I almost always have my data and value add on a non-system partition or drive so it is available without any action.

Good modding,
neil

I saw on another site a suggestion that the drive needed to be on the primary SATA connection so that'll be my next test.

Yes, it was an upgrade, and if I can't get the next attempt to work then I'll probably do the clean install.

Like you, most of my home folder is on a non-system drive so that should make it easier.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back