5. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
My system:

Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 rev. 2, F8 BIOS
Intel Core i5-760
NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 470

I have 10.7.0 running happily on one of my hard drives. I'm trying to get a new install of 10.7.2 running on my new 80 GB Intel 320 SSD. I am using the standard UniBeast method with a DSDT.

Everything works fine up through the Lion installation. It boots via the flash drive's Chameleon to the Lion on the SSD, and I've successfully restarted after running setup just to make sure it's working.

Once I run MultiBeast, it ceases to boot. It hangs (does not panic) repeatedly outputting "Still waiting for root device".

The SSD is running the latest firmware. It is formatted as a single partition (using the GUID partition table) and it is connected to SATA port 0.

what happens if you boot with unibeast to the newly created OS in your SSD?
hangs to?

The same thing happens, with the exception that if I don't give it an -f then it stops after "DSMOS has arrived". I've tried various combinations of MultiBeast options, including installing the extra disk drivers, and I've tried safe booting and manually specifying the root device (rd=disk0s2), all to no avail.

At this point, my best guess is that something is going on between the bootloader and the SSD.

Also, for the record, I do have my BIOS configured to AHCI mode and 64-bit HPET.

I'm getting the same problem with my Kingston SSD after the Unibeast update. I did back up my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 prior to trying to go to 10.7.2 on a standard SATA HDD so I think I'll copy that back to the SSD for my backup, assure I can boot to it from SSD and HDD alike, then Unibeast the hard drive 10.6.8 to go to 10.7.2 - will report back findings!

Say.. Thom the Destroyer - how is your SSD partitioned? How many, and is it w/ GUID?

Just to update you - I'm having trouble getting 10.6.8 working again on the SSD. My backup on traditional hard drive is working and booting fine, but after cloning it back to SSD and repairing permissions/disk with Disk Utility, I'm lucky to get one boot out of it before everything goes south. So I probably won't have further news tonight on my experiment. I will share more when I know more!

OK. Had to re-do the build to 10.6.8 on the SSD. I created two 120 GB partitions on a 750MB traditional hard drive and cloned the SSD's contents to each of them, assured I could boot from them at least twice each - and then continued.

I was able to fully install 10.7.2 on the HDD, boot from it, and run MultiBeast. I might've selected incorrect options as I didn't have a working ethernet connection (which was working with 10.6.8 just fine) and still don't appear to have support for the integrated HD3000 graphics (just one resolution appears, 1024x768 and it's not recognising the monitor). So I ran MultiBeast again - and that time on booting got a crash. Booted with flags -x -v and you will not believe it - THE SAME ERROR as we got with our SSDs "still waiting for root device".

So I'd say the problem is not unique to SSDs. But as for where to go next, I'm not sure. I can re-clone my working 10.6.8 to the now messed up partition and try again, I guess.

Any progress on your end, T t D ?

reinstall with an MBR partion and see if it works then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back