Contribute
Register

"Still waiting for accelerator to start..." and "Still waiting for root device..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 117990Here are the Multibeast selections that I have made for this install.

Basically Easy Beast> ALC 892> TRIM Enabler> VooDooTSCSync 6 Core> AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0

This was all of the recommended settings from Marques Brownly on YouTube who has primarily the same build.

Again, this setup seemed to work perfectly until I got this new monitor lol. After I get past this CUDA driver installation, I will have to reinstall my dsdt for working audio.

If you haven't picked it up already, it seems like the CUDA drivers seem to be affecting your install... but it shouldn't be affecting it so that you can't boot because it's waiting for root device. "Still waiting for root device" shows because the kernel / OS can't find the boot drive. This commonly happens when you have an OS on one drive and the boot loader on another.

You may have to manually add in the boot loader into your BIOS boot options...

P.S. Marques Brownlee? ;)

If you haven't picked it up already, it seems like the CUDA drivers seem to be affecting your install... but it shouldn't be affecting it so that you can't boot because it's waiting for root device. "Still waiting for root device" shows because the kernel / OS can't find the boot drive. This commonly happens when you have an OS on one drive and the boot loader on another.

You may have to manually add in the boot loader into your BIOS boot options...

P.S. Marques Brownlee? ;)

Yes Brownlee** lol! Haha thanks for the correction there. And yeah, I picked that up. But I don't understand how that CUDA install could offset the problem...being that it is a bootloader lookup problem. So would adding the boot loader into my BIOS options really be the fix? And if so, how on earth do I do that?

Also, I have a correction to make here: if I boot in with -f, I do in fact have perfectly working graphics, but my dsdt for audio does not seem to work. I still show no output devices.

Thanks for sticking with me on this guys. Whats my next step?
I believe we're close
:D

Ok, so I tried the guide with no luck. Everything seemed to boot the same, and it still says waiting for root device. Sigh.

Any ideas?

If it's saying still waiting for root device, do you have the boot loader (Chimera I think it is in your case) and the OS (OS files / system drive) on the same hard drive? The root of this problem could also be missing USB drivers, but that shouldn't be the case if your boot loader and OS are on the same drive.

If it's saying still waiting for root device, do you have the boot loader (Chimera I think it is in your case) and the OS (OS files / system drive) on the same hard drive? The root of this problem could also be missing USB drivers, but that shouldn't be the case if your boot loader and OS are on the same drive.

It is still saying that. And yes as far as I can tell Chimera is on the same drive as my OS...how would I confirm that? Because I could've installed it elsewhere a looooonnngg time ago when I first started.
All I know for a certainty is that when I run multibeast for the first time, I choose my main SSD where I installed Yosemite to, and then after choosing my drivers I check the tickbox for Chimera as my bootloader. So as far as I understood, they should be on the same drive.

Thanks for the reply Bored guy haha.

It is still saying that. And yes as far as I can tell Chimera is on the same drive as my OS...how would I confirm that? Because I could've installed it elsewhere a looooonnngg time ago when I first started.
All I know for a certainty is that when I run multibeast for the first time, I choose my main SSD where I installed Yosemite to, and then after choosing my drivers I check the tickbox for Chimera as my bootloader. So as far as I understood, they should be on the same drive.

Thanks for the reply Bored guy haha.

"Bored guy" :p:lol:

One way I can think up of to check if your boot loader is on your HDD is if you unplug all of your USB drives / other drives and then do a spotlight search for your boot loader files (/Extra folder, FileNVRAM.dylib [if you have it], smbios.plist, etc)

"Bored guy" :p:lol:

One way I can think up of to check if your boot loader is on your HDD is if you unplug all of your USB drives / other drives and then do a spotlight search for your boot loader files (/Extra folder, FileNVRAM.dylib [if you have it], smbios.plist, etc)

Ok, so I unplugged everything SATA except the SSD that I put OSX on. Booted up, same issue "Still Waiting for Root Device". -f still gets me in. So does this narrow down what would be causing the problem?

Odd problem I know. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back