Contribute
Register

"Still waiting for accelerator to start..." and "Still waiting for root device..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth x79
CPU
Intel i7 4930k
Graphics
GTX 780 3GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, I researched this problem online and on these forums with little success, so I'm posting my own thread. This thread is also under Post Installation\Graphics, but I have also placed it here because I am not entirely sure that this is a graphics problem only.

Recently I began using a Dell 2713HM monitor and for some reason I never noticed this before... but after I get everything working, the next reboot (or sometimes the 2nd to next) is impossible.

When booting verbose, it stops on "GeForceSensors: Sill waiting for graphics accelerator to start..."
This pops up 3 times and then finally loads but then the message "Still waiting for root device" starts to show. And it never gets past that.

Of course, -f -x and some other flags let me through, but I do not have audio or graphics acceleration.

It was pretty frustrating to have this pop up after I thought I was all done haha :banghead::lol:

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

My system is as follows:

Intel i7 4930k
Nvidia GTX 780
ASUS Sabertooh x79
Boot drive is a 240GB Kingston SSD NOW

Do you have FakeSMC plugins installed? I had the same problem when installing them from Multibeast. I had to remove manually from s/l/e and install the package from the github website.

I could get to the desktop -f. I would try removing them first then try rebooting. Make sure to repair permissions. If it works its up to you if you want to re-install them

Thanks much for the reply ricky!

I believe I installed those from Multibeast yes. If I remove them and it works, what would I be missing if I just leave it as is? And how do I properly remove the kext? Just delete it? And how do I properly reinstall and repair permissions? Haha lots of questions sorry.

Thanks agian.

Ok, so tried the option you gave. I mightve done something wrong though, haha. I deleted FakeSMC.kext and then repaired the permissions on the drive, but now I cant get in with any bootflags that I know of :eek:

And it seems to stop in verbose at different places depending on the flags I set. Currently its getting stuck on "ATHR: unknown locale: 21".......

I realized also that my boot drive is not on the first SATA port. Would that be the problem? and if so, why is it just now showing up?

Thanks much.

Ok, so tried the option you gave. I mightve done something wrong though, haha. I deleted FakeSMC.kext and then repaired the permissions on the drive, but now I cant get in with any bootflags that I know of :eek:

And it seems to stop in verbose at different places depending on the flags I set. Currently its getting stuck on "ATHR: unknown locale: 21".......

I realized also that my boot drive is not on the first SATA port. Would that be the problem? and if so, why is it just now showing up?

Thanks much.

You have to have FakeSMC.kext to boot OS X at all ... :think:

About your "Still waiting for root device", are you booting from a USB or hard drive?

Cheers!

Ya removing fakesmc will make your system not boot. Use your usb stick and reinstall it. To repair permissions use Disk utility in utilities folder in applications. if you go into multibeast on the bottom when you select a driver it shows the exact location where it is installed

Whoops. Yeah, silly mistake. I thought thats what you were talking about though, so would you mind clarifying your trouble shooting process to me please? Thanks ricky.

And AGuy, I am booting from my SSD, which worked perfectly for a few reboots.
Some things you may ask about and their answers are:

1) I do not have it set as the main boot drive in the bios (for some reason its not an option...)
2) I don't believe that its plugged into the first sata port

So with all that being said, do you guys have any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks all.

Whoops. Yeah, silly mistake. I thought thats what you were talking about though, so would you mind clarifying your trouble shooting process to me please? Thanks ricky.

And AGuy, I am booting from my SSD, which worked perfectly for a few reboots.
Some things you may ask about and their answers are:

1) I do not have it set as the main boot drive in the bios (for some reason its not an option...)
2) I don't believe that its plugged into the first sata port

So with all that being said, do you guys have any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks all.

UPDATE:

I finished trouble shooting as far as I know how. I did a fresh install and did not install the SMC monitoring or any of the HW monitoring kexts. Then after a reboot, I could still get in. I installed the CUDA driver for my graphics card and rebooted, then "Still waiting on root device..."

So then I made sure that my root drive was located on the first SATA port (it wasnt before). Then I was able to set it to first boot priority. Did a fresh install again. No HW or SMC monitoring kexts installed with Multibeast. Reboot. Everything is fine. Edit .plist for my bootflags and then rebooted for the heck of it. Booted back in fine. Then I installed the CUDA drivers and rebooted and whammo. "Still waiting for root device." I tried PCIRootUID=0 for the hecks of it and again, no luck.

Im honestly stumped at this point because I had previously installed this CUDA driver and the hack worked great. I believe everything started changing with this new monitor. Its 2560x1440 res if that makes any difference to the boot process....

Thanks much for your support guys.

What are your Multicast selections? like this? Try using DSDT free or DSDT config.

Current Multibeast .jpgHere are the Multibeast selections that I have made for this install.

Basically Easy Beast> ALC 892> TRIM Enabler> VooDooTSCSync 6 Core> AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0

This was all of the recommended settings from Marques Brownly on YouTube who has primarily the same build.

Again, this setup seemed to work perfectly until I got this new monitor lol. After I get past this CUDA driver installation, I will have to reinstall my dsdt for working audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back