Contribute
Register

Still wait for root device (my solution)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Pavilion G6-1d71nr
CPU
i3 2350
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As many of you noticed with older builds like my sandy bridge h67m-d2-b3 board the intel 6 series (and others) have a problem in High Sierra with SATA support this can be "fixed" by using the Sierra (10.12.6) AppleAHCIPort.kext then SATA works fine but you need to install it to S/L/E and not via clover injection (idk why).

What I had to do is this:

!!!MAKE A CLONE BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!!
  1. Remove boot drive from my hackintoish pc
  2. Connect it via USB3 to my 2013 MacBook Pro (using adapter like this)
  3. Upgrade to high Sierra on that machine to my hacks drive (I used a USB key to do it from this guide)
  4. Boot into high Sierra (with no internet connection to preserve iMessage) this will be slowish over USB
  5. Use kext utility to install AppleAHCIPort.kext from 10.12.6 (Sierra)
  6. Install new clover on my hackintoish's ssd
  7. Put it in PC and cross fingers

This should work for any of you having this issue but this isn't the best fix every major update will probably break this and the only solution will be is to remove drive and use another MacOS machine to reinstall the kext or have another partition that you never update ready to re-install the kext as well. I hope someone comes up with a more permeant fix but this is what I've done for now. If you don't have another machine to do this with then I'd recommend waiting High Sierra like iOS 11 is buggy and you are not missing anything.

On a side note if you upgrade via USB on the other machine you may not get upgraded to APFS so I did a clean install on my SSD from my MacBook Pro then used migration assistant to restore my data once I had high Sierra working on my PC. Weather or not you want to go through this trouble is your choice...

I'll do you all a favor and attach the kext below.

If you have a question ask below I will try and help.

Attachments

• AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip
    62.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div id="inner-editor"></div>

174/5000

hello, do you think that you can do this update operation with a virtual machine created with parallel instead of using a real mac? Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back