Contribute
Register

stilig's PowerMac G7 - Best definition for Z97 + i7-4790k

Status
Not open for further replies.
@stiligFox , Hackintool updated today. You may want to try it. Either way, the recipe is:

• Remove USBPorts.kexts and copy USBInjectAll.kext to Clover/kexts/other
  • Activate 2 USB Port Limit patch (DalianSky), they can be found in Hackintool's bootloader tab. Check 2 of them then press 3rd button on the bottom of the window. If you press Cancel when it asks you Mount EFI, the next window will be Save as dialog, it'll only create a plist file with the patches. Then you can copy and paste those patches with Plistedit Pro for instance.
  • After rebooting, check Hackintool if it successfully lists your all of HS and SS ports. (if not, skip the rest and go to other list below) Then, you already did the port discovery, select unnecessary ports, HS, SS, PR and HP except, PR01/PR11 and PR21 hub ports. Hub ports will be active and under Device tab you'll see IOUSBHostD... (The newest Hackintool doesn't have anything under Device section :) ).
  • Then you'll delete all unnecessary ports. Since we have the same chip and I saw that you have the same issue with me, to make the things shorter and faster, I recommend, leave only PR01 and PR11. PR21 seems like hub but if you leave it and delete PR01 instead, you'll end up odd ports after restart. Then you'll press export and create USBPorts.kext
If you want to use USBMap script insead. Go to its github page and clone it, I assume you already know how to do it. They have the info on the github page as well.

• Run the script
  • Since we already did the port discovery and already know what to keep and what to disable, press P and press enter.
  • You'll see all of the ports available. Press A and press enter, all of the ports will be active.
  • Then you'll type the ports you want to disable. You'll need to type 1,2,3,4 etc.
  • You'll also see hub_devices. In my case PR01, PR11 and PR21 seems as hubs but I had to keep PR01 and PR11 only, as well as HS and SS ports I want.
  • I typed 11,12,13,14,19,20,23... till 35. You must type all of the ports with comma, there is no short way of doing it. After that, double check the list and press enter.
  • It'll show you your limits for each controller. In my case it is XHC:14, EH01:1, EH02:1 (all green, within the 15 port range)
  • Then press K to build USBMap.kext
  • Script can also copy the kext to EFI folder, it'll ask you or you can skip it and it'll copy it in Results folder and opens the folder in Finder.
Cheers!

Last edited:
@stiligFox , Hackintool updated today. You may want to try it. Either way, the recipe is:

• Remove USBPorts.kexts and copy USBInjectAll.kext to Clover/kexts/other
  • Activate 2 USB Port Limit patch (DalianSky), they can be found in Hackintool's bootloader tab. Check 2 of them then press 3rd button on the bottom of the window. If you press Cancel when it asks you Mount EFI, the next window will be Save as dialog, it'll only create a plist file with the patches. Then you can copy and paste those patches with Plistedit Pro for instance.
  • After rebooting, check Hackintool if it successfully lists your all of HS and SS ports. (if not, skip the rest and go to other list below) Then, you already did the port discovery, select unnecessary ports, HS, SS, PR and HP except, PR01/PR11 and PR21 hub ports. Hub ports will be active and under Device tab you'll see IOUSBHostD... (The newest Hackintool doesn't have anything under Device section :) ).
  • Then you'll delete all unnecessary ports. Since we have the same chip and I saw that you have the same issue with me, to make the things shorter and faster, I recommend, leave only PR01 and PR11. PR21 seems like hub but if you leave it and delete PR01 instead, you'll end up odd ports after restart. Then you'll press export and create USBPorts.kext
If you want to use USBMap script insead. Go to its github page and clone it, I assume you already know how to do it. They have the info on the github page as well.

• Run the script
  • Since we already did the port discovery and already know what to keep and what to disable, press P and press enter.
  • You'll see all of the ports available. Press A and press enter, all of the ports will be active.
  • Then you'll type the ports you want to disable. You'll need to type 1,2,3,4 etc.
  • You'll also see hub_devices. In my case PR01, PR11 and PR21 seems as hubs but I had to keep PR01 and PR11 only, as well as HS and SS ports I want.
  • I typed 11,12,13,14,19,20,23... till 35. You must type all of the ports with comma, there is no short way of doing it. After that, double check the list and press enter.
  • It'll show you your limits for each controller. In my case it is XHC:14, EH01:1, EH01:1 (all green, within the 15 port range)
  • Then press K to build USBMap.kext
  • Script can also copy the kext to EFI folder, it'll ask you or you can skip it and it'll copy it Results folder and open the folder in Finder.
Cheers!

Thank you so much for giving the tutorial! It has definitely helped me a lot. I need to redo it again, I think. Tried to do as you say, but I do not seem to have a PR01; but once I built the kext, sure enough I have a PR01, PR12, and PR21. So strange! But I'm really close, I can feel it! If I can't get it to work with Hackintool, I'll try USBMap; I have it downloaded and running, but it is also giving me some trouble with my SS02 port.

~~~

@jaymonkey and @Archangeliques - on a related note, however, my Power Management is distinctly not working. Intel Power Gadget will not go below 2.5ghz, and when I went back to an older version of Intel Power Gadget that I'm familiar with, I see why - it's fluctuating all over the place! I do have the PluginType selected as per Rehabman's instructions, and I have the proper Framebuffer info in place. Any ideas what might be causing this wackiness? I’m wondering if it’s a setting in BIOS. I have all the usual things set that are recommended in the install guide; I also don’t have XMP set up at the moment for my RAM but that’s unrelated to the CPU.

I did have PM working fully sometime around High Sierra, and I just never checked it again. I booted into my 14,2 Catalina install and found that my CPU frequency is pegged at 4.4ghz, so something has definitely gone wrong.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 2.17.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 4.02.59 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Thank you so much for giving the tutorial! It has definitely helped me a lot. I need to redo it again, I think. Tried to do as you say, but I do not seem to have a PR01; but once I built the kext, sure enough I have a PR01, PR12, and PR21. So strange! But I'm really close, I can feel it! If I can't get it to work with Hackintool, I'll try USBMap; I have it downloaded and running, but it is also giving me some trouble with my SS02 port.

That's exactly what happened to me. Start over and do it with USBMap this time and leave only PR01 and PR11. Hackintool is not working with 9 series properly for sure. The same chipset and the same issue, so... Try it with the script.
@jaymonkey and @Archangeliques - on a related note, however, my Power Management is distinctly not working. Intel Power Gadget will not go below 2.5ghz, and when I went back to an older version of Intel Power Gadget that I'm familiar with, I see why - it's fluctuating all over the place! I do have the PluginType selected as per Rehabman's instructions, and I have the proper Framebuffer info in place. Any ideas what might be causing this wackiness? I’m wondering if it’s a setting in BIOS. I have all the usual things set that are recommended in the install guide; I also don’t have XMP set up at the moment for my RAM but that’s unrelated to the CPU.

I did have PM working fully sometime around High Sierra, and I just never checked it again. I booted into my 14,2 Catalina install and found that my CPU frequency is pegged at 4.4ghz, so something has definitely gone wrong.

View attachment 449876
View attachment 449877
What makes you think it's not going below 2.5GHz? From your screenshot it's clearly shown as Core Min 0.7GHz which is 700MHz. Intel Power Gadget is not showing current clock, it shows everything else though. iStat Menus shows the real current clock. It's been 2.5 months I'm using Mojave and Catalina and I assure you it is working. I know when my CPU clock peaks with the fan sound and I know when it's idle.

Here's my IPG for reference.
IPG.png
Ps: You don't have Green GFX which shows us either you didn't do the proper frame buffer patch (iGPU in headless/connectorless mode) Or you forgot to enable IGD Multi Monitor under Integrated Graphic Configuration in BIOS. Name varies by the manufacturer, mine is MSI, Asus might have a different name for it. Also, please tell me what BIOS configs you set after going back to factory settings as stated in the installation guide.

That's exactly what happened to me. Start over and do it with USBMap this time and leave only PR01 and PR11. Hackintool is not working with 9 series properly for sure. The same chipset and the same issue, so... Try it with the script.

Okay, will do, and will post back.

What makes you think it's not going below 2.5GHz? From your screenshot it's clearly shown as Core Min 0.7GHz which is 700MHz. Intel Power Gadget is not showing current clock, it shows everything else though. iStat Menus shows the real current clock. It's been 2.5 months I'm using Mojave and Catalina and I assure you it is working. I know when my CPU clock peaks with the fan sound and I know when it's idle

If you watch the CPU frequency (especially in the the second graph of the older IPG) you can see how it’s jumping between 800mhz - 4ghz quite rapidly (averaging around 2.5ghz on the new version of IPG)

Here’s my IPG from 2017, when I know of a fact PM is working.

Notice how it’s idling properly.

Something I’ve noticed is that frequency =/= usage; IE my fans aren’t kicking on at all. And in my old 14,2 config of Catalina, my CPU frequency is pegged at 4.4ghz even though usage is low.

I’ll keep working at it. I do notice that yours looks quite high too - your average is hanging at 3.63ghz, is that at idle usage?

For what its worth; iStat Menus is currently showing 0mhz as my frequency lol

I’ll be sure to fix my graphics BIOS settings; I’ll have to put all of this on hold until I get back from a trip.

Last edited:
Ps: You don't have Green GFX which shows us either you didn't do the proper frame buffer patch (iGPU in headless/connectorless mode) Or you forgot to enable IGD Multi Monitor under Integrated Graphic Configuration in BIOS. Name varies by the manufacturer, mine is MSI, Asus might have a different name for it. Also, please tell me what BIOS configs you set after going back to factory settings as stated in the installation guide.

Alright, reset my BIOS.

XMP - enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology - enabled (This is VT-x, for use with Parallels, and not VT-d)
VT-d - disabled
CFG-lock - disabled
Secure boot - otherOS
XHCI - enabled
EHCI handoff - enabled
CPU Graphics Multi Monitor - enabled
ASMedia USB 3.0 controller - disabled
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.55.20 PM.png

Green line is now showing up, but the frequency is still all wrong compared to what it was three years ago:

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 5.11.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Alright, reset my BIOS.
Green line is now showing up, but the frequency is still all wrong compared to what it was three years ago:

@stiligFox,

Steady green line @ 1.25 Ghz is correct for HD 4600 configured as headless using iMac15,1 SMBIOS.
Thats how my Z97/HD 4600 has been for years.

Cheers
Jay

@stiligFox,

Steady green line @ 1.25 Ghz is correct for HD 4600 configured as headless using iMac15,1 SMBIOS.
Thats how my Z97/HD 4600 has been for years.

Cheers
Jay

UPDATE: A recurring theme with all the stuff I've been doing lately is that it'll start working and I have no idea why! This feels like a mad science project sometimes lol.

So after all the tweaking and such last night that I tried to do, and ultimately putting it back with PluginType=YES, I booted up my computer today and it's idling as I expect it to - no idea what changed after it sat for six hours hah.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 10.36.15 AM.png

Original Post:
But shouldn’t my blue line be going down low at idle like the second, older screenshot? Instead of hanging around 3-4ghz?

Spent quite a few hours tinkering last night and found that it’s the
PluginType=YES that’s cause the change. Turning that back off and the CPU frequency in IPG idles down between 800MHz and 1.25GHz as in the second screen shot.

Rereading the Power Management thread gives me this:
System Definition/SMBIOS (see Settings, below)
  • Native CPU PM (CPU0@0/plugin-type=1)
    • Do not use CloverConfigurator, disables property
Clover Configurator is very likely my problem (unless it’s been fixed) - I’ll set it using Xcode’s plist editor.

I also noticed Toledo has a 9 series LPCB patch, which guess applies to my build as well.

What makes you think it's not going below 2.5GHz? From your screenshot it's clearly shown as Core Min 0.7GHz which is 700MHz. Intel Power Gadget is not showing current clock, it shows everything else though. iStat Menus shows the real current clock. It's been 2.5 months I'm using Mojave and Catalina and I assure you it is working. I know when my CPU clock peaks with the fan sound and I know when it's idle.

Thanks - it seems to be working now (no idea why it wasn't last night).

When I get back from my trip I'll generate my USBMap kext and will let you know when I have it completed :)

Last edited:
If you watch the CPU frequency (especially in the the second graph of the older IPG) you can see how it’s jumping between 800mhz - 4ghz quite rapidly (averaging around 2.5ghz on the new version of IPG)

Notice how it’s idling properly.

Something I’ve noticed is that frequency =/= usage; IE my fans aren’t kicking on at all. And in my old 14,2 config of Catalina, my CPU frequency is pegged at 4.4ghz even though usage is low.

Well, I haven't tried with older IPG and what if it is not fully compatible with Mojave and Catalina?
I do notice that yours looks quite high too - your average is hanging at 3.63ghz, is that at idle usage?
I sent that screenshot when I have 1 browser with 16 opened tabs, another browser with 2 opened tabs, a youtube video is running in PIP mode, and a few apps running in the background like firewall, iStat, Adguard, Time Machine etc. I think it's ok for my case.
For what its worth; iStat Menus is currently showing 0mhz as my frequency lol
The reason is installed incompatible IPG, installing the latest one will fix your frequency error.

XMP - enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology - enabled (This is VT-x, for use with Parallels, and not VT-d)
VT-d - disabled
CFG-lock - disabled
Secure boot - otherOS
XHCI - enabled
EHCI handoff - enabled
CPU Graphics Multi Monitor - enabled
ASMedia USB 3.0 controller - disabled

I recommend you to enable Windows 8/8.1 Feature instead of otherOS to have full UEFI boot screen.

UPDATE: A recurring theme with all the stuff I've been doing lately is that it'll start working and I have no idea why! This feels like a mad science project sometimes lol.

So after all the tweaking and such last night that I tried to do, and ultimately putting it back with PluginType=YES, I booted up my computer today and it's idling as I expect it to - no idea what changed after it sat for six hours hah.

View attachment 450021

Original Post:
But shouldn’t my blue line be going down low at idle like the second, older screenshot? Instead of hanging around 3-4ghz?

Spent quite a few hours tinkering last night and found that it’s the
PluginType=YES that’s cause the change. Turning that back off and the CPU frequency in IPG idles down between 800MHz and 1.25GHz as in the second screen shot.

Rereading the Power Management thread gives me this:
System Definition/SMBIOS (see Settings, below)
  • Native CPU PM (CPU0@0/plugin-type=1)
    • Do not use CloverConfigurator, disables property
Clover Configurator is very likely my problem (unless it’s been fixed) - I’ll set it using Xcode’s plist editor.

I also noticed Toledo has a 9 series LPCB patch, which guess applies to my build as well.

When I get back from my trip I'll generate my USBMap kext and will let you know when I have it completed :)

I remember that post when I was doing my older hack for my laptop when Clover Configurator doing odd things to plist files. But it's not doing anything wrong for long, as long as I know. I checked my config file with both Plisteditor Pro and Clover Config and PluginType is still enabled.

Can you share your IPG with me, I'll try it to see how it shows my freq.

Thanks! Have a nice trip!

Well, I haven't tried with older IPG and what if it is not fully compatible with Mojave and Catalina?

I sent that screenshot when I have 1 browser with 16 opened tabs, another browser with 2 opened tabs, a youtube video is running in PIP mode, and a few apps running in the background like firewall, iStat, Adguard, Time Machine etc. I think it's ok for my case.

The reason is installed incompatible IPG, installing the latest one will fix your frequency error.

I recommend you to enable Windows 8/8.1 Feature instead of otherOS to have full UEFI boot screen.

I remember that post when I was doing my older hack for my laptop when Clover Configurator doing odd things to plist files. But it's not doing anything wrong for long, as long as I know. I checked my config file with both Plisteditor Pro and Clover Config and PluginType is still enabled.

Can you share your IPG with me, I'll try it to see how it shows my freq.

Thanks! Have a nice trip!

Ah, I'll install the latest version and see how that goes. That said, I did attach mine - it's version 3.0.1 I believe.

I'll try switching to Windows 8 mode! Thanks for the tip!

And thank you - I'll do my best, and I'll be back to fix my USBMap in a couple weeks.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IntelÆ Power Gadget.dmg
    5 MB · Views: 101

View attachment 450021
Hey there, the frequency issue have on my mind ever since you mentioned it. I just logged it with new IPG and it seems my freq goes up and down almost all the time too. I haven't tried measuring it with the older IPG though. Could you just check your config if it has those items or not under ACPI/SSDT/?
  • DropOEM/NO
  • Generate/CStates/NO
  • Generate/PStates/NO
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back