Contribute
Register

Stickies for discussion of USB3, SATA(6GBps) & Thunderbolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68x-UD5-B3
CPU
Core i7 2600k 3.4GHZ
Graphics
ATI Radeon 6870
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, I've been poking around the forums searching for answers to the following questions. So far, I cannot find them. As I imagine others will have the same questions as these techs become more widespread, I thought it might save some time to do an FAQ-style sticky post to provide the definitive answer and to provide a place where folks working on bringing these techs to the community (if possible) to post updates and files as needed.

So, I've provided the questions. Could someone provide the answers? If these have been answered elsewhere, please provide links.

Thanks!

KMH

1) USB 3.0 Support

a) Will a Hackintosh support USB3?

b) If so, will it do so regardless of mobo (generic driver)?

c) If not, which mobos will support it via Multi-Beast (MB) update?

d) Finally, if this is/will be available, please link to the appropriate guide(s).

2) SATA (6GBps Support)

a) Will a Hackintosh support 6GBps SATA?

b) If so, will it do so regardless of mobo (generic driver)?

c) If not, which mobos will support it via Multi-Beast (MB) update?

d) Finally, if this is/will be available, please link to the appropriate guide(s).

e) If 6GBps SATA is not supported, will the Hackintosh use them if the BIOS be adjusted to enable those ports at 3 GBps?

3) Thunderbolt (TB) Support

Based on my initial research, the jury remains out on this issue. Some reports indicate that PCI-E Thunderbolt cards will eventually hit the market. Others say that TB has to be designed on the motherboard to take advantage of 10GBps speeds.

Assuming cards come to the market, I would think there will be drivers for them in the Apple stack to enable older Macs to access this media.

This is not a bad idea but i can not understand how you could not find his info on the forums.
Here is some about USB3:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19465

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back