Contribute
Register

Steps to swap over from the HD 530 to NVIDIA GT 730 in Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (F22g)
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Hi folks, I have Sierra 12.0 working fine here except for that graphic flickering with the 530. What I'm hoping to do here is use this working 10.12 Sierra installation that's configured for the HD 530 and substitute the NVIDIA GT 730 for the 530. Can someone tell me the steps I'll need to complete in order to do this? I know I'll need to install the latest NVIDIA Sierra 12.0 beta drivers etc... make some changes to the config.plist file, BIOS etc... I also gathered it doesn't require Injection. Some guidance with specifics would be appreciated. Thanks. Oops, forgot to mention I'm using iMac 17,1 here.

Last edited:
iMac17,1 doesn't like Nvidia hardware, so you have to apply the AGDPfix or switch to iMac14,2. I'm not 100% sure the GT 730 needs the WebDrivers, but in case it does (you can try it out, it won't hurt) you need to install and enable them.

That's it! :)

Hi,
I just got done trying some things prior to seeing your response. I had installed the latest NVIDIA 12.0 drivers (367.15.110.05f01), did an edit of config.plist via clover configurator. In System Parameters checked off Nvidiaweb, in Graphics unchecked the Inject Intel, as well as clearing the ig platform ID of 0x19120000 that was present for the 530 and saved. Reran Multibeast 9.01 this time giving it a systemdef of iMac 14,2. In BIOS I changed Initial Display Out from IGFX to PCIe Slot 1. Installed the card. Powered on....the apple logo appears, the progress bar starts, and makes it to about 3/5's of the way up and then the screen goes black, a second or two passes, and the monitor's HDMI pop up window appears saying no signal. End of story. :(

Update: Missed this part.

There's a new method for enabling the NVIDIA Web Drivers in the latest versions of Clover. It can be turned on and off by editing /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist to add SystemParameters/NvidiaWeb. This takes the place of nvda_drv=1 boot flag, which will not work in macOS Sierra.

1. Mount EFI Partition
2. Open /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with text edit, Xcode, or Plist Editor Pro
3. Edit as shown below:

Code (Text):
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>
4. Remove Boot/Arguments/nvda_drv=1 if necessary
5. Save and reboot

That fixed it! The experiment proved successful. Now I think I'll return this card and get a better quality NVIDIA one. The GT 730 is on sale this week here at my local Fry's for $49.00. For those who aren't gamers it works fine. BTW, thanks for that enabled hint! :)

Last edited:
Just updated to 12.1 and new 12.1 NVIDIA webdrivers without issue. :)
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.20.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.21.21 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back